How is battle of the blades going in Canada? | Golden Skate

How is battle of the blades going in Canada?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Im bummed that i cant get to see this show at all. So to all the canadians out there on this forum, i ask how is the series going? How are kurt browning and jamie sale (i think former jockey player pj stock is the third judge) as judges?

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Im bummed that i cant get to see this show at all. So to all the canadians out there on this forum, i ask how is the series going? How are kurt browning and jamie sale (i think former jockey player pj stock is the third judge) as judges?

There is an active thread over at FSU. I post at both FSU and GS and find that some topics get discussed longer over there and sometimes here so I just do both. Kurt and Jamie have good insightful comments but I don't think they're completely comfortable in their roles yet. It seems they're trying to make things controversial (Kurt seems to feel that he must be like Simon Cowell) when the skaters are all pretty much the same in terms of skill so far. It's pretty much a love fest where everybody loves everybody (fans, skaters, judges)! We even booed Kurt (but good naturedly). I had the feeling most just wanted to see everyone skate and enjoy that. Pretty terrific having 3 ice dancers in the mix and really wonderful seeing Kazakova again. Man that woman is Smooth! A lot of the audience didn't know who she was (young skate fans or hockey people) so I think that's why she was in the first skate-off.

rvi5

On the Ice
A lot of the audience didn't know who she was (young skate fans or hockey people) so I think that's why she was in the first skate-off.
It is interesting however...they were also voted into the bottom two by the judges. Certainly Jamie and Kurt would know who she was, and P.J. Stock could have learned second hand from others on the show. The public voting didn't seem to change anything. I guess past reputation isn't necessarily worth points.

ETA: Of course, the other half of the equation is the hockey player. We already know the figure skaters can skate. The weekly progress of the hockey player may be a key factor.

P.S. After the last judging, Oksana and Vladimir appear to once again be back in the bottom two, together with Jessica Dube and Brian Savage. We will need to wait until Sunday to determine if public voting changes anything.

lcd

Match Penalty
Oooh, quite surprising and wish I could see some segments where Kurt is playing the role of provocateur. Getting everyone to feel more than just the joy they must be feeling, is a good thing from the producer's standpoint probably. Bet he does a lot of huggy apologizing backstage. He's too luvvvable to be angry at for long.

rvi5

On the Ice
Kurt isn't actually saying anything to make people angry. He is just more critical than the other judges with some scoring. eg. he scored Shae & Anson a 5.4 (to booing), while Jamie gave Kurt a "you're kidding" type stare and gave them 5.8 (to cheering). PJ Stock then played the middleman with a 5.6.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
How nice to Sale after her baby. Isn't it so romantic - she married the hockey play turned carpet man - fairytale and they are so happy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wasn't the hockey player married at the time that Sale and he became a couple off the ice? :eek:

I wonder whether his former wife considers what happened to be such a fairy tale ... :eek:hwell:

rvi5

On the Ice
Depends on whether he and his former wife were happily married, or already on the rocks.

BOTB is turning into a match making show :lol:
Apparently Marcy and Todd Simpson are now engaged. He was in the audience rooting for her.

Can we also vote on which couple will be next? ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Depends on whether he and his former wife were happily married, or already on the rocks.

The following comment is NOT based on their specific situation, but you are right.
Theoretically, a former spouse's reaction could be: "Good riddance. They deserve each other."

Antilles

Medalist
I don't want to delve in skaters' personal lives, but did Marcy have a second last name the last time she competed? Harris or something? I'm not looking for any details. I just don't know if I dreamed up the second name.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wasn't the hockey player married at the time that Sale and he became a couple off the ice? :eek:

I wonder whether his former wife considers what happened to be such a fairy tale ... :eek:hwell:

Oh my so sorry. I forgot about that and that Jamie was married to David. Ah let's hope everyone ends up happily after

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't want to delve in skaters' personal lives, but did Marcy have a second last name the last time she competed? Harris or something? I'm not looking for any details. I just don't know if I dreamed up the second name.

You are right. It was Harris and I saw her do a pairs routine with him several years ago at Skate for Hope in Ohio. And this year he skated with someone else (I didn't see it, only saw the program listings). So that was a pretty quick divorce.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Marcy and Lee Harris were married in June 2008 and divorced in November 2012 according to public records in Franklin County Ohio where they resided. I also saw them skate together in the 2011 Skate for Hope show and they were definitely a crowd favorite.

When she didn't skate with him in 2012 or 2013 I thought it was just because she was filming in Canada, but sadly that wasn't the reason. Lee skated in the 2012 and 2013 shows with other elite skaters to honor his mother who is a cancer survivor.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skater Boy I just can't believe you don't know who Marcy and Lee are :rofl:. Just kidding, really :). Marcy Hinzmann skated pairs for the U. S. with Aaron Parcham. They won the bronze medal at U. S. Nationals in 2005 and the silver medal in 2006. They went on to the Olympics in 2006 where they placed 13th and to Worlds where thy placed 11th. Marcy retired from competition in 2006.

Lee Harris is Canadian but skated pairs for the U. S. He was the 2002 U. S. Junior Champion and was 12th at the 2002 World Jr. Championship.

He started skating with Marcy and they did shows and cruise ship tours for several years. They got married and coached near Columbus, OH for several years. They were very popular at the Skate for Hope show in Columbus which raises money for cancer research.

As I discovered recently, they are now divorced. Lee is still skating in the Skate for Hope shows and coaching. Marcy is doing the Battle of the Blades show (which I've never seen).

Jamie was a much better known skater who did the show and ended up divorced. It appears maybe Marcy has followed suit.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh I have heard of Marcy then. I am not sure about these skating shows; they are fairly brief but so many broken marriages - wasn't there an american show and I think it was Lloyd eisler broke up with his wife a Canadian cooking host or something for some B star actress - it sounds so sordid so...like in the 90's when Russia's no. 1 male Zhulin in dance was having an affair with the no. 2 female in dance and then the homebody Usova pushed the temptress Pasha or Oksana's head into a bowl of soup. I am sorry I brought tis up and forgot that these all weren't the happiest of situations. Is there a higher divorce rate among skaters? Maybe because it is a bit artificial - you marry those you are around it is a very close knit community and you travel on tour, practice together etc. the odds are some of those skater to skater weddings weren't meant to be it is like when you follow in your parents footsteps with jobs - it is understanding the issue of nurture versus nature but it is natural always and thus things don't work out. We are all lonely people I guess searching for something better - I hope that is not the real attitude of this world but you wonder sometimes...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh I have heard of Jamie - she is that girl that won the OGM after a lot of screaming and I ran into her buying furniture. I got to learn a lot about her. It was pretty amazing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I have only been able to find videos formthe preview show and e first lkve performance. Does anyone know where i can watch the second and third live performances because cbc has geoblocked the show!