Kavaguti and Smirnov out for the season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov out for the season?

LRK

Record Breaker
I love them, and this news is awful. And so heartbreaking it must be for them! For this to happen so close to the Olympics... I also wonder what they will decide to do? For purely selfish reasons - as it gives me such joy irrespective of where they end up in the rankings - I would hope to see them compete again. But I would understand if they chose not to. But it's sad...

Binthere

On the Ice
So sad to hear this. Such a tough discipline. Injuries at this time and this year especially are heart breaking.

cinnamon

On the Ice
I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.
They have said in the past elsewhere that Sasha's body can't take it to lift, etc. so after Sochi they will retire.

http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0512/TKY201305120254.html

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Here's hoping and praying. Three months for recovery is pushing it and then one month for the Olympics - I am not sure this is a reasonable situation - Mind you if they could pull an Alissa with doubles - now I am sure some people say K and S aren't Czisny in respect to spins. Maybe the throw quad salchow is necessary to make up for the missing individual triples? Whatever happened to Ssquared's quad have they given it up or can we expect it - surely that would give them liek 5 more points than V and T.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Here's hoping and praying. Three months for recovery is pushing it and then one month for the Olympics - I am not sure this is a reasonable situation - Mind you if they could pull an Alissa with doubles - now I am sure some people say K and S aren't Czisny in respect to spins. Maybe the throw quad salchow is necessary to make up for the missing individual triples? Whatever happened to Ssquared's quad have they given it up or can we expect it - surely that would give them liek 5 more points than V and T.
In above mentioned article of May 2013, Yuko said she was going to try the throw quad again, she called it "for this I have been doing pair skating". (Only the top part of the article can be seen here, the rest is for the registered readers.) Answering to the interviewer, Yuko said she'd like to try the quad which she wanted and couldn't do in Vancouver. They were practicing it last season, but it wasn't as stable to put in the program."
It is also mentioned about Sasha's leg problem which bothers lifts and throw jumps - and this is one of their reasons to retire after Sochi. :disapp:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think they should stick for 1 more year, next year S/S, P/T maybe V/T wont be there
so they have a chance to win another World medal and end their career on a high note

about the surgery,
Yuko will take a time off and visit Japan
Smirnov can start sports "rehabilitation" in 4 weeks
so there is a slight chance they might compete in Nationals and then maybe gets a spot for the Europeans

http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/910913.html

Smirnov in the night from Saturday to Sunday was operated on , the operation of the skater has been made in one of the leading clinics in Munich . Figure skater tore the patellar tendon three days ago during a speech at the memorial Panin , which took place in St. Petersburg.

" Tamara Moskvina / athletic trainer couple. - Comm . ITAR - TASS / Yuka give an opportunity to relax a bit , the ability to go home . And then she'll be back and will train . How will leak her training, I can not say, because , fortunately, with such a practice, we rarely encounter . anyway, should always apply an individual approach . important thing is that Sasha had surgery yesterday and according to my information , this week he will begin rehabilitation "- said the Gorshkov during a telephone conversation.

The head of the federation said that the operation Smirnov did the best surgeon of the ones that specialize in the knee joints . " So let's hope for the best," - he said.

According to preliminary estimates , due to the latest method for knee surgery , the skater will be able to start a sports rehabilitation in four weeks .

no Idea what that rehabilitation means, going after 4 weeks can train or discharged maybe ?

I think they should stick for 1 more year, next year S/S, P/T maybe V/T wont be there
so they have a chance to win another World medal and end their career on a high note

about the surgery,
Yuko will take a time off and visit Japan
Smirnov can start sports "rehabilitation" in 4 weeks
so there is a slight chance they might compete in Nationals and then maybe gets a spot for the Europeans

http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/910913.html

no Idea what that rehabilitation means, going after 4 weeks can train or discharged maybe ?

I agree with you that if the pair can resume skating, they should plan to remain in skating through next year's Worlds, because it will be a great way for them to go out on a good note. I'd love to see them medal.

As for sports rehab for this season, I fear that actual competition readiness may take a long time. I looked up the anatomy, and the patellar tendon connects the kneecap (the patella) to the tibia (the large long bone of the lower leg, also called the shinbone). This is big stuff and directly affects jumping. If the tendon was torn, it will take quite some time to strengthen the limb. In all probability, jumping is the last activity he'll be able to resume, way after walking and climbing up and down stairs.

Thanks for translating the news article for us!