Kavaguti and Smirnov out for the season? | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov out for the season?

Anin

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Kavaguti/Smirnov out for the Season ?

url]http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11907.html[/url]
Alexander Smirnov acting together with Yuko Kavaguti, fell on a jump, was traumatized and couldn't leave ice independently
that Sascha has a clinical rupture of own ligament of a patella. After will make MRT (magnetic and resonant tomography) about injury of other ligaments, doctors will decide on operation volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
K/S withdrew in the SP, when he fell at Panin Memorial

image: you may need vk account, looks very painful
http://cs425929.vk.me/v425929973/3275/U1ZB4yTfDBo.jpg

Ouch! That does look very painful!

I know they were probably going to retire this year anyway, but it would be a real shame if their career ended like this. Like, I was gutted when the Kerrs retired a couple of years ago because of Sinead's shoulder, especially as they were starting to become regular podium contenders.

But this would be extra cruel, as it is an Olympic year, and the Olympics are in Alexander's home country. And, they were still an outside chance for the podium.

Just so that you know, because you used the direct link for the image, you don't have to sign in to vKontakte to view it. I just tried the link without signing in first (I do have an account), and it worked fine.

Caroliza_fan

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That doesn't look very good, especially since he had to be helped of the ice. If he ends up having an operation, it would be very tough to be back and fully fit for Russian nationals to make the european an olympic squad.

I really want to see them skate well and hopefully podium in Sochi. I am still disappointed that their Clare de Lune and February programmes did not get them on the worlds podium (mostly due to errors they made themselves).

I really would like to see Yuko get an olmypic medal.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Terrible day for K/S.
Poor Yuko, they could have been 3rd in 2010. No chance in 2014 at all the way things are going but I still want to see them.

Oh, that's AWFUL! It's terrible for any year, but especially dire for the Olympic year. I feel bad for them, and I also feel sad for Moskvina. Remember that she's retiring, too. I hope he heals quickly, but that sounds like a slim chance at this point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this is so sad. Not to be rude but I don't think anyone should be thinking who is replacing who or whatever but it is so natural. so many thoughts are going through my mind - this team was going to retire now..i hope they come back and manage a miracle or come back - i had hoped they might get a world title at one point. this is not the way to go out. . It looks just dreadful and I wanted this team to skate the best the could; they are the forgotten team it seems like. yet I do understand people worry about Smirnov and at the same time this opens the door more or makes it easier for pang and tong, the Canadians, italians and other russians etc. its horrible how an injury changes everything. Here's hoping for real healing and fast.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Oh, that's AWFUL! It's terrible for any year, but especially dire for the Olympic year. I feel bad for them, and I also feel sad for Moskvina. Remember that she's retiring, too. I hope he heals quickly, but that sounds like a slim chance at this point.
I feel exactly in the same way. I wanted to see Yuko on Sochi podium...
Tamara is a wise person, and she is like Yuko's mother. I think they will find a wise way to complete their career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just feel so bad for this team. They are like the forgotten ones and so close. Once so much hope I hope they come back and win a bronze or come back in 2015 and win a world title with a special performance - but it looked so bad :(Poor Smirnov and Kavaguti. They will watch from the sidelines most likely:( If they can stomach it. I am getting a bad feeling other than dance with Davis and white this is will be an oly game where dominant quad team or skater won't win - SS, Kostner or Kim if she is injured and Chan or Dai. sometimes it is all about timing had the olympics been two years ago kostner or asada would be gold, ss gold in pairs d and w or v and m in dance and chan or even dai now I think Javier or one of the young Japaniese will win but that's life I guess. I have nothing againste ie Fernandez it is just that it seems a bit of lucky timing that they are on the rise. oh well ...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a tough break for them, and Tamara! :eek: :cry: May he have a complete recovery!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh my what terrible news. K/S have been through so many injuries in their career. What a shame
that they may not be able to skate in Sochi.

lcd

Match Penalty
This is such sad news. The two of them have soldiered on for many years. Yuko especially has made many sacrifices in her long career, moving from her original home in Japan to places all over the world to pursue her dream and love of skating. As what may be the final world class team that Tamara Moskvina coaches at this level, it brings additional levels of sadness.

The word "rupture" does not sound promising from a prognosis standpoint. It ruptures my heart to see this happen to any athlete, but especially at this time this season. My heart goes out to them and their entire support team.

thinspread

On the Ice
The report says he will undergo a surgery, with the extent of the surgery yet unknown. But any kind of surgery on the knee requires long rehabilitation. Olympics seems out of the question, I'm afraid.

If it's not career ending, what would ensue for the team, especially for Smirnov? Will he find a new partner and resume a competitive career? He's not young, but not too old for pairs skating.

deedee1

Record Breaker
oh...what an awful news to hear...:cry: so so sad for them. I have been rooting for Yuko & Sasha for a podium finish at Sochi, The Games in THEIR HOME TURF so much (even though it may be a bit an outside shot for them).

The report says he will undergo a surgery, with the extent of the surgery yet unknown. But any kind of surgery on the knee requires long rehabilitation. Olympics seems out of the question, I'm afraid.

According to this, it is most likely Sasha had the ligament torn on his right knee: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20131011-00000099-jij-spo :cry:

tulosai

Record Breaker

If it's not career ending, what would ensue for the team, especially for Smirnov? Will he find a new partner and resume a competitive career? He's not young, but not too old for pairs skating.

I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Those are very sad news, I always enjoyed their programs and I will never forget Alexander´s Batman choreografie at Bern during the practice! That was so funny ;)

I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.

I hope there is some way the organizers can figure out a way to let Kavaguti skate out onto the ice as part of some sort of exhibition event somewhere during the course of the Games, just to give her a bit of the Olympic experience and allow skating fans to applaud her. She has sacrificed a lot for her career and has probably helped Russia's standings in the pairs rankings, and it would be a nice gesture. It would also be a fitting way to honor Moskvina. Just a thought.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I feel bad for Yuko the most, she gave up everything for this. She was the stronger partner as well.
Then Sasha, he just couldn't hold it together, be it inconsistency or injuries. Bad luck all around.

Moskvina is already a legend, even if she has another team on the podium, it still wouldn't make her more legendary than she is.