Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi? | Golden Skate

Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi?

cinnamon

On the Ice
Well, there is a thread for Japanese ladies, so why not a thread for Japanese men?
You can express who are going / who would you like to go.
For me it seems Daisuke and Yuzuru are pretty much promised, then I hope Tatsuki to go according to this summer's his progress. ;)

chloepoco

Medalist
Well, there is a thread for Japanese ladies, so why not a thread for Japanese men?
You can express who are going / who would you like to go.
For me it seems Daisuke and Yuzuru are pretty much promised, then I hope Tatsuki to go according to this summer's his progress. ;)

I like the three you mentioned, however, I would also like to see Kozuka go. No matter what happens, it will be heartbreaking :(

This is one of those moments when I wish other countries could adopt one or more of the Japanese men.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From all countries Japan is in worst position as they have so many really talented male singles skaters... Impossible to predict who might be the third skater, but Takahashi and Hanyu surely are the first and second to go to the Olympics.

yude

Record Breaker

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Olympia said:
This is one of those moments when I wish other countries could adopt one or more of the Japanese men.

Oh, I think germany could do that! Oda won Nebelhorn here the last 2 years anyway - see, he feels comfortable here already :biggrin:

But, on a serious note - I'm really afraid of how the japanese nats are going to turn out. I love all 6 of the japanese top men, and I'll be sad for everyone who stays home. My guess would still be Dai + Yuzu + Kozu, though.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I assume the JSF has their usual setup for determining who gets to go? The top GP finisher gets seeded and solid performance throughout the season is a factor in the remaining two spots.

emdee

Final Flight
I love kozuka but I am sad to say that Oda may get the nod.
I think Hanyu and Dai are a given.

Paola D

Rinkside
Mathil on Yuzuru Hanyu Cheer Thread on FSU explained why there is only a slight chance Hanyu won't go to Sochi.
Thanks to mathil.

As of now, considering JSF's criteria of selection, he could already qualify as third entry:

" The third entry is selected among the player who leaked out from the 2nd selection, the upper three Japanese of world standing in the time of the end of Japan Nationals and the upper three Japanese of ISU season best score. "

However things go this season, considering his current world standing (#1) it is unlikely he will drop under Machida (#7), who is the third of the upper three in WS, by December.

I was wondering if this is why he was sent to Finlandia Trophy. I went to Dreams on Ice this summer. Unlike past years this summer DOI feautured mainly young skaters of the next generation after Sochi, and Hanyu was the center of it. I felt JSF officials and the people who managed shows already had a huge expectation on him by the way they were watching him. But it's only my speculation and guess, and there's no evidence or proof for them. I may be wrong.

icellist

On the Ice
Daisuke Takahashi, Yuzuru Hanyu, Nobunari Oda
Alternates: Takahiko Kozuka then Tatsuki Machida

Mura is the least captivating of the Japanese skater for me.

Is Yuzuru retiring after Sochi? I heard rumors about it. Hanyu, Kozuka, Machida, and Mura can definitely hold men's skating in Japan for the next quadrennial

NMURA

Medalist
I was wondering if this is why he was sent to Finlandia Trophy. I went to Dreams on Ice this summer. Unlike past years this summer DOI feautured mainly young skaters of the next generation after Sochi, and Hanyu was the center of it. I felt JSF officials and the people who managed shows already had a huge expectation on him by the way they were watching him. But it's only my speculation and guess, and there's no evidence and proof for them. I may be wrong.

I think Takahashi just opted out of DOI, knowing that Hanyu will take the center stage. He is a very proud man who is obsessed with the "ace of Japan" title. Asada skipped this event in past three years. I suspect she has a contract with IMG to do so in a way to raise the value of THE ICE. So is Kozuka.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dai is known in the skating world while nice to be a bit of a diva; the young bucks are pushing him and he ain't so fresh.

wallylutz

Medalist
I don't think Takahashi's spot is guaranteed. The reason being his jumps are the least consistent among top 5 Japanese men. You have to wonder maybe competitive skating is not for him anymore. If he fails to make the GPF, Japanese Nationals could become a heartbreaking event I suspect for his fans.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I hate to admit it, because Daisuke is my favourite skater, but I also feel that he is probably past his prime. If he fails to deliver this season, I wonder if the japanese federation can send him to Sochi, without the better performing skaters crying foul play. On the other hand being the "elder/senpai-skater" who has kept Japan at the top in the last years, I really, really doubt they will not choose him for Sochi - maybe if he doesn't make GP Final and is out of the top 4 at Nationals. But I still have faith that Daisuke won't let it come to this.

In my book Yuzuru will go as a definite, only doesn't go if he has an injury. Daisukes chances are like 85%. I think that maybe Oda's chances aren't that bad either, I think it's either him or Kozuka. Depending on Machida's and Mura's performances at the Grand Prix. If they win over Oda/Kozuka one of them will be chosen. It is an exciting, but nervewracking time for the japanese male skaters.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I don't think Takahashi's spot is guaranteed. The reason being his jumps are the least consistent among top 5 Japanese men. You have to wonder maybe competitive skating is not for him anymore. If he fails to make the GPF, Japanese Nationals could become a heartbreaking event I suspect for his fans.

I agree with this.

As well, Takahashi does not seem to be getting any better, while the others do seem to be getting better. I certainly do not think it is a given that he will be one of the three and it would be surprising if Morozov is going to improve him.

Oda did very well at Nebelhorn. He goes up and down, but he looks to have his confidence back for the competition again. (Last year, he seemed to do well in the practices and then have problems in the competition.) He certainly still has it. Mura, Machida and Kozuka are in it too. Hanyu looks like he will do well with room to spare.

I would pick as the only likely one as being Hanyu with the other two positions up for grabs. But I would be really surprised if Hanyu would be chosen if he did not earn it. But, to me, as well, Machida and Mura look like the dark horses with the other four skaters really being the ones who are likely going to be in contention.

The tragedy of it is that all six of them deserve to be there.