Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes. US ice dance has many fine dancers, so none of them can feel comfortable that they will retain or improve their placement. They really have to knock it out of the park this season, because McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons will surely be seniors next season. At that, Madison & Zach were scored too close for comfort to Pogrebinsky and Benoit in their first SD scores of the season. And there are Cannuscio and McManus and Hawayek & Baker.

Nathan13

Medalist
I really wonder (and hope) that they can make a run for 2nd at Nationals and then move up at Worlds. But I wonder if they can this season - is there really any competition for the 3rd spot from below them?

With the level they are at this year, I highly doubt it. People talked about Hawayek and Baker knocking them off the podium last year, and they weren't even close. It would take either major leaps and bounds for H/B or Cancusio and McManus to beat the 6th place at World's team.

wishonastar

On the Ice
Yes. US ice dance has many fine dancers, so none of them can feel comfortable that they will retain or improve their placement. They really have to knock it out of the park this season, because McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons will surely be seniors next season. At that, Madison & Zach were scored too close for comfort to Pogrebinsky and Benoit in their first SD scores of the season. And there are Cannuscio and McManus and Hawayek & Baker.
I believe H/D had trouble with their step sequences at US Classic, receiving lvls 1 & 2. I'm sure they went back to Montreal and Patrice drilled them extensively. Hoping they can make the corrections and be ready for Finlandia. I believe in an interview Madison said they were glad to go to Salt Lake to get early feedback on any trouble spots. We shall see...

blancanieves

On the Ice
Well done on her FD dress too, gorgeous. I think they are starting off the season on a bang esp. after those less than stellar Russian performances in the test skates. Good to see a team who is ready. I hope they keep on improving throughout the season, then beware at the US Nat.

It's a nice dress, but I think they could add some visual impact to the performance with a richer color, maybe even red. I know they want to convey romance and softness, but a measured amount of color pop wouldn't have to ruin the romantic mood and it would inject some energy/interest.

There's ways of playing with shades of color and fabrics, like mesh, to accomplish that. For me, right now their palette is too bland.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So glad they removed a few cuts from the SD!

We cut it down to what we felt were the best pieces and the most well known," Hubbell said. "We took out cuts in the second half especially and really played with it -- added more glide, more ice coverage -- so we're not being punished for the whole dance looking too slow

The new program features more of old-time artists MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice.
"We felt those were the two highlights every generation would recognize," Hubbell said. "And in Montreal, there has been a new uprising of "Ice Ice Baby" (by Vanilla Ice), which is bizarre."

The olde version was:

SD Blues: "Feelin' Good" by Nina Simone; Hip Hop: "Hammer Time (Can't Touch This)" by MC Hammer
"Push It," by Salt N Pepa, "Ice, Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot; "Apache (Jump On It)" by Sugarhill Gang; and "Turn Down for What" by DJ Snake & Lil Jon;. choreo. by Samuel Chouinard

Which cuts do you guess they removed?

Last edited:

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Madi and Zach scored a SB in the SD today at the GPF, and managed to take advantage of missteps from C/B to slide into 5th place going into the FD :cheer:

The music cuts still feel a little crowded, but it's much less of a headache, and the fun of the program comes through much better now that you can focus on them and not the ever-changing music.

blancanieves

On the Ice
So glad they removed a few cuts from the SD!

The olde version was:

SD Blues: "Feelin' Good" by Nina Simone; Hip Hop: "Hammer Time (Can't Touch This)" by MC Hammer
"Push It," by Salt N Pepa, "Ice, Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot; "Apache (Jump On It)" by Sugarhill Gang; and "Turn Down for What" by DJ Snake & Lil Jon;. choreo. by Samuel Chouinard

Which cuts do you guess they removed?

They didn't remove much, "Baby got back" which was a very brief snippet anyway, and "Jump on it."

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Looking forward to the SD, it is going to be awesome. Had the pleasure to meet them tonight and they are as nice as they are talented. And very gorgeous!

musicfan80

Medalist
So happy that Madison and Zach are in the close 3rd place after the SD. Hopefully, they will rock the FD and maybe move up to 2nd place. I'm not sure if they will need a major mistake by C/B.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So happy that Madison and Zach are in the close 3rd place after the SD. Hopefully, they will rock the FD and maybe move up to 2nd place. I'm not sure if they will need a major mistake by C/B.

I don't think they need a major mistake, but if C/B are perfect it'll probably be them. C/B have a SB of 112.03, but that was at SC and since that they had 107.09 in Russia and 108.45 at the GPF. Madison and Zach had 106.99 at SA, 107.81 in France, and 107.12 at the GPF. So with the more recent scores of C/B, it's very close. They certainly have a chance if they skate clean.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Madi and Zach rocked it tonight, all level fours! Watching this dance on TV does not do it justice. In person Madison's dress is pretty and the hip hop section really plays to the crowd. I loved every second of their performance. Can't wait to see their FD.

musicfan80

Medalist
I was so heartbroken today - especially with how Madison looked in the KnCr. :ghug:

I hope they are able to brush it off and focus on 4CCs and Worlds. Their FD is so beautiful and I think they can still move up at this Worlds.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So very glad I got to see this dance in person. They have such a great presence on the ice, they just fill up the arena and this isn't conveyed by a computer or tv screen. I was so proud of the way they fought thru the program after the fall and didn't give up. When Madison started crying in the K&C, I teared up too. No doubt about it, I have crossed the line from fan to uber! Love this team and look forward to watching their 4CC and Worlds performances.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are such a wonderful team with great chemistry. I agree, it was really heartbreaking when Madison started crying. Wish ice weren't quite so slippery! :console: