Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hubbell/Donohue discussed the meaning behind their SD in a USFS video published today.
It is the fourth installment of the USFS "At This Moment" series.
The 2:40 video is viewable on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

@USFigureSkating
.@MadiHubbell & @ZachTDonohue talked about the meaning behind their short dance in the latest #AtThisMoment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfNZXfN1aA
1:15 PM - 13 Nov 2015
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/665276768488550400

U.S. Figure Skating
There was a lot of meaning behind Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue's short dance earlier today. Watch below as they previewed it in our latest edition of #AtThisMoment.
Nov 13
https://www.facebook.com/usfigureskating/videos/10153265564216342/

At This Moment | Season Preview with Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
Published on Nov 13, 2015
In Episode 4 of At This Moment, Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue preview their 2015-16 short dance.
https://youtu.be/JBfNZXfN1aA

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
For me, the style comes off a little juvenile too. :slink:
To me it looks fresh and romantic. You forget that she is actually still very young. And I don't think that this is the kind of song to which you have to skate with a formal evening kind of a do.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It seems like every season there is a program that "speaks to me", that I find myself watching constantly on youtube and without a doubt Madison and Zach's SD is that program this year. I look forward to seeing if their FD can match it!

blancanieves

On the Ice
To me it looks fresh and romantic. You forget that she is actually still very young. And I don't think that this is the kind of song to which you have to skate with a formal evening kind of a do.

I understand, I don't want her to appear matronly either. I just think a different hair option could incorporate a bit more elegance (not formality). To me, their interpretation of the music conveys a clean, modern, simple yet elegant approach. And to that end, the new dress's silhouette is fantastic - even if I'd prefer a few less rhinestones on the bodice ;)

Last edited:

wishonastar

On the Ice
Loved their short dance, and wish we could have seen the free. Depending on the ISU decision affecting TEB, what is their chances to make the Final?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donohue love

I never start threads but I'm really curious to hear more about Hubbell and Donohue. I've never been a fan of this team and I completely agree with the Shibutani win (they had a moment), but I wanted to hear from those who know much more about dance than myself. Should their scores have been closer to the top two? Should they have beaten Chock and Bates? Just from my novice eye they really were working their edges (they were taking me back to the 90s) and they had a grown up look to them that makes them stand out.

Matilda

Medalist
I never start threads but I'm really curious to hear more about Hubbell and Donohue. I've never been a fan of this team and I completely agree with the Shibutani win (they had a moment), but I wanted to hear from those who know much more about dance than myself. Should their scores have been closer to the top two? Should they have beaten Chock and Bates? Just from my novice eye they really were working their edges (they were taking me back to the 90s) and they had a grown up look to them that makes them stand out.

I've loved this team for years, for their incredible connection on ice, and their beautiful lines and edges--which have only become better this year after they switched coaches. Madi's hip problems set them back for a while, but the grit she showed skating as well as she did when every step on the ice was painful, and Zach's unwavering support of her throughout the injury and her recovery from it just made me love them more. Their Bohemian Rhapsody FS from that very painful season is still high on my all time favorites list. Their Hallelujah SP this season is a masterpiece. I look forward to seeing how they develop in the next couple of years. I really hope they can make it to the 2018 Olympics.

Last edited:

Plisskin

Medalist
On this forum there FD isn't as loved as their SD but I really like their FD and think it's gorgeous, mature and smooth. Personally I thought they should have been 2nd, above Chock and Bates.

Giselle

Medalist
I've been a fan of theirs for years. I think that they should have been closer to the top 2, and their SD 1st (happy that Dave and Jenny thought so too!).

If I was judging the competition, I would have had the top 3 in this order:
SD: 1st H/D, 2nd S/S, 3rd C/B
FD: 1st: S/S, 2nd C/B, 3rd H/D
Overall : 1st: S/S, 2nd H/D, 3rd C/B

IMO they've struggled the past years because of Madison's injury like Matilda said, and the fact they never seem to have 2 great programs the same year. This year the SD is great but the FD not so much. It's not as bad as last year's I don't think dramatic programs suits them. They also have less speed than C/B and S/S but I think that since they moved to Montreal they've improved a lot in that aspect. I was very impressed with their speed at US Nationals.

Here are some of my favourite performances from them:
2011 Skate America SD (Latin Medley)
2011 Nebelhorn trophy FD (I put a spell on you)
2013 US Nationals FD (Flamenco)
2014 4CC FD (Nocturne)
2014 Worlds SD (Paso Doble) I prefer their performance at Nationals but I can't find it.
2015 GPF SD (Hallelujah)

On the NBC telecast, Tanith singled them out to demonstrate not only their attention to edges but also how their bodies moved so perfectly together.

Chock and Bates never really settled into their free dance this season, making drastic changes at each appearance.

Giselle

Medalist
On the NBC telecast, Tanith singled them out to demonstrate not only their attention to edges but also how their bodies moved so perfectly together.

Chock and Bates never really settled into their free dance this season, making drastic changes at each appearance.

I think C/B made the same mistake W/P made last year with their FD: pick an iconic classical piece of music and build a program that "looks" like a World Champion program. It just ends up feeling very forced.

musicfan80

Medalist
I didn't see this posted earlier in this thread yet, but I'm glad to see that icenetwork is doing a series on concussions in figure skating. Here is the first article in the series, with mentions of Hubbell/Donohue: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/02/02/163386260.

Athletes' health is such a critical topic and I happy that icenetwork is doing this. The best thing is that Madison was completely recovered! :clap: