Flexibility Exercises | Golden Skate

Flexibility Exercises

B

BravesSkateFan

Flexibility Exercises

Hi! I'm not a skater, but I am trying to improve my flexibility and I figured that you guys (being skaters and all) would know of some good flexibility exercises. So if you could post some I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

C

cborsky

Re: Flexibility Exercises

As a figure skater, I think the most important flexibility is in the hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, and back.

I started with power yoga because it helps to build strength as well as flexibility, and it's fun. I've taken many stretches from yoga and used them as cool down stretches after I skate. In particular, the forward bend and downward dog are excellent for your hamstrings.

T

ThrowTripleLoop

Well i'm not a skater but I'm a synchro swimmer and trust me we do plenty of stretches. Before you start I suggest running on the spot or doing some jumping jacks to get your body and limbs warmer. Or if you want to do this at home, after a hot shower or bath is the best time. Start with your arms and do over the head stretches and across your chest (i'm sure these have a name but i'm not sure). Then sit down and do all the v-stretches..(30 seconds on the left side, 30 sec. on right side 30 seconds in the middle) until your legs feel looser. after that try touching your toes sitting down and standing up and try and see if you can put your palms flat on the floor...gently of course. If you want to learn how to do the splits here is a way that realy helped me.

Prop your left (or right) knee on a pillow or towel and then take the foot of that leg and put it up against the wall. Then put your other leg out in front and make sure it stays straight. Then switch legs. After you do about 7 on each leg try and see how far you can split.

If there are 2 of you, try these.

One of you lays on there back while the other one stands up. The person lying down lifts up one of their legs to the other persons hands. the person lying down pushes against their hand and they slowly bring your leg as close as possible to your head. Then do the same for the other leg. You can also do this standin up against a wall. Also you can try a spiral position by getting someone to hold your free leg up as high as it can go.

I hope these help. Try to hold all of the stretches as long as you can and push yourself, but not to the point of injuring yourself!:) happy stretching;)

Lindsay

I

ice defense 22

Hey I'm ne to this board but when I heard flexability I knew I had to poast. I am not a figure skater (I wish I was though) I play ice hockey and lacrosse, but I can probably help you on some tyips with stretching. To do a split you just stretch your legs out as far as u possibly can and hold it for like 20 seconds. (it halps if u use resistance, like the floor.) and comtinue doing that going down lower and lower each day. Also you can drop faster to flex also. and for your back as your in a split try to kiss your knee. Thats all I've got so c ya later.

~kevin~