Favorite or least favorite scary movies? | Golden Skate

Favorite or least favorite scary movies?

Johar

Medalist
Fav:

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
When a Stranger Calls
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later (one of the few sequels that works)
Rosemary's Baby
Wolfen
The Others
Sally
(the original, not the Katie Holmes remake)
Burnt Offerings Bette Davis and Oliver Reed. A ghostly driver, a spooky music box and a house that re-juvinates itself.
Cat People and Curse of the Cat People. Very stylish chillers more than thrillers. Simone Simon was GORGEOUS
The Ring
An American Werewolf in London
House on Haunted Hill. 1958. Vincent Price!
The Innocents 1961. Seeing the gost on the side of the lake....was she real or wasn't she? Spooky!
Freaks 1932, Thank you Turner Classic Movie for airing this.
The Haunting 1963

Least Favorites:

Godzilla 1999 with Matthew Broderick. It was annoying and 'zilla looked like a giant iguana as opposed to a monster.
Hostel. Shut it off after 40 minutes.
One Missed Cal
Fear Dot Com
White Noise
Any Friday The 13th beyond the original, The one were Jason awoke on a spaceship in the future was hideous. Just stop already.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't do scary movies, but one I "enjoyed" (not sure that's really the word) is "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the best scary movies are when the suspense and the threat of violence keep you on the edge of your seat. Not so much of a fan of scary movies where the intent is to frighten from graphic blood slinging.

Example: I know there were some more graphic parts of "Halloween" and "Silence of the Lambs", but the real thrills came when the female leads were just barely eluding the killer.

Johar

Medalist
Everytime I've tried to watch the Exorcist I've fallen asleep. Just not meant to be, haha.

There are some well-received films I want to see but are unavailable/not to be found, such as Suspiria. A remake is being done as I type.

And there is a horror film I saw as a kid nobody can identify--a child was sliding down a staircase banister, slipped off and died. The mother kept her mummified body in a bed. It came out before 1987.

I don't do scary movies, but one I "enjoyed" (not sure that's really the word) is "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".

Like Toni, I don't do scary movies, but one that I did enjoy was The Sixth Sense. What made it work for me was that the characters mattered. I'm not interested in fright all by itself.

I also liked original American version of Godzilla, because it also had a human dimension, in the noble sacrifice of the scientist who figured out how to defeat the monster.

The rest of you can enjoy the other scary movies in the world. I'll leave you plenty of room in the theater.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I'm with Toni and Olympia on this one. Real life has enough scary stuff. I was terrified by Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein as a child so that should tell you something!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The Eyes of Laura Mars--Faye Dunaway
The Third Man-Joseph Cotton & Orson Welles

I like suspense but not gore or horror.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like suspense but not gore or horror.

I can't really give much input in this category. I got too scared during certain scenes of Jurassic Park! Ditto for the first 20 minutes of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (just couldn't watch it, even though I certainly knew about the violence during the Crusades). Both have great soundtracks, though!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't really give much input in this category. I got too scared during certain scenes of Jurassic Park! Ditto for the first 20 minutes of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (just couldn't watch it, even though I certainly knew about the violence during the Crusades). Both have great soundtracks, though!

those are two of my all time favorite movies, Gail! :laugh:

those are two of my all time favorite movies, Gail! :laugh:

Well, we always knew that you had the soul of an adventurer, Toni!

I have to say, I like Robin Hood as well. (The first part of it I look down at my lap a lot more, though.) I love Morgan Freeman in just about everything, and also that last scene (with a surprise guest Richard the Lionheart) makes me happy every time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, we always knew that you had the soul of an adventurer, Toni!

I have to say, I like Robin Hood as well. (The first part of it I look down at my lap a lot more, though.) I love Morgan Freeman in just about everything, and also that last scene (with a surprise guest Richard the Lionheart) makes me happy every time.

Morgan Freeman totally makes that movie work. Gotta love Kostner not having an accent when everyone else does - all because his accent was so horrible the director told him to ditch it! :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
My favs
Schindler's list
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator
Forrest Gump
Steel Magnolias we watch it at every Xmas
Casablanca
West Side story( Natalie Wood)
Rain Man
The Backet list
As good as it gets
Terms of Endearment
Titanic :eek::
Bridget Jones's diary
A streetcar named desire ( Marlon Brando...)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Shakespeare in Love
Out of Africa
The English Patient

I can't enumerate them. I love Woody Allen's movies and of course, I like Robin Hood or the Jurassic Park :laugh:.

I don't like the horrors, but I like the Sixth sense and the Signs.

It seems I love Hollywood :biggrin: But I like the french movies too. The best movie in 2012 the Intouchables!!! :clap::popcorn:

I haven't seen The Intouchables yet, but I hear it's great. I love many of the films you cite, Plushyfan, but I must single out The Bucket List because it's less well known than many of the others on your list, and it always makes me happy to watch it. The ending, when you see who has brought the tin up the mountain, makes me tearful every time. The relationship between Jack Nicholson (clearly one of your favorites) and Morgan Freeman (one of my favorites) is sublime. They play off each other so well. I sometimes think that every movie should co-star either Morgan Freeman or Stanley Tucci.

If we're talking about non-horror movies for a bit (we chickens keep hijacking this thread, and we don't apologize!), I recently found that Barbra Streisand's On a Clear Day You Can See Forever is on DVD. This movie is beyond obscure; no one talks about it, and I can't understand why. It's Streisand, looking and sounding wonderful. It's directed by Vincente Minnelli. The sumptuous costumes are by Cecil Beaton. And, to top things off, Jack Nicholson appears in a rather minor role at a time of his life when he was just drop-dead handsome. The one weak part for me was Yves Montand as the lead. He had to sing, and I don't think he pulled it off. Unfortunate that they didn't go with the Broadway lead for this--John Cullum. Did they think he wasn't bankable enough? They had Streisand. Who else did they need? And Montand wasn't that well known in this country anyway. Ah, well. The story is rather whimsical but appealing, I thought, and the songs (especially sung by Streisand) are delightful.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Another chicken, but I will watch thrillers, but not horror shows. In fact, we don't watch a lot of movies

I love the Bucket List!
Another favorite Jack Nicholson favorite of mine is As Good As It Gets.

In thrillers, Hunt For Red October

In general
The Caine Mutiny
Gandhi
Driving Miss Daisy
Tom Hanks in That Thing You Do
Spinal Tap
My Blue Heaven
My Cousin Vinnie
and two that Netflix suggested for me that I hadn't seen advertised elsewhere (I loved both of them)
Sabah
The Ramen Girl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Speaking of Jack Nicholson, one of the scariest movies of all time is one he's in: "Batman".... I cannot watch a Nicholson movie without wanting to wet myself because of his portrayal as the Joker (IMO his Joker is way better than Heath Ledger's).

Another terrifying (for me) film is E.T. the guys in the has-mat suits have scared me to tears since I was 5.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There was a black & white horror film that was shown on a double bill with Perri the Squirrel (Disney version of Bambi, but live shots with a squirrel). I was 10. I threw up in the car on the way home, I was so upset. Both films upset me.

Perri
http://video.disney.com/watch/perri-trailer-4be0f7633c89b8c416559506

I think the other one might be The Quartermass Experiment, but I'm not sure of the name. It's about an alien hive mind sort of thing taking over people's minds. The final scenes took place in an oil refinery where the beings assemble into huge hives, pulsing, inside the domes of the refinery. There's an inspector of police trying to track this all down.

I still get nightmares about it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everytime I've tried to watch the Exorcist I've fallen asleep. Just not meant to be, haha..

I'm with Toni, Olympia, Scrufflet and anyone else about not watching scary movies but I saw the Exorcist and I couldn't get her face out of my mind...yikes. I had a hard time going to sleep after that. When I got home it, it was dark and I lived in an upstairs apt in a house. The dog was out and did a grrrrr as I approached, I went up those stairs in a flash. :laugh: :laugh:

If you want to see scary watch Criminal Minds, yikes!!! I stopped watching when a paraplegic doctor was having his mentally challenged brother kill people for stem cells. Then the brother disposed of the bodies. The way they found out was the brother kept their shoes. I won't say how he disposed of the bodies....scared me so I stopped watching the show!!!

Ugh, yes, Criminal Minds. I like Thomas Gibson, so I tried watching just once, and I wimped out after a few minutes. And it's on just about every channel! It's still airing on CBS, and reruns are on at least two or three other networks, including Ion and maybe TNT. Brrr...too much for me.