Ice Dance SD - 2013 Skate America | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - 2013 Skate America

FSGMT

Record Breaker
C/L: :love::love::love::love: (this explains everything I think :biggrin: )
I liked D/W, but I still have the same impression: they need more speed!! (and the SLC judges agree with me, basing on IN) Lovely skate, even if a 6-points difference between them and Anna and Luca is a bit too much I think (please don't hate me for this)
Really love the Shibs, too: nice skate, really elegant and mature, this is what suits their style I think! Looking forward to the FD (especially because, so far, I've predicted correctly the top4!!)

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Interesting that C/L had the highest base value but D/W passed them out with their GOE, although I'm not sure that either couple deserved their score. I think that D/W were generously marked in PCS, out of a possible 40 they get 38.27, it certainly wasn't that amazing. For C/L I thought they were totally lost with the music at the end, it was to big for them. Igor has done great work with them, could have a shout of a world/olympic bronze.

If I had to pick a favourite I would go with Z/S, to me they showed real character and performance, it got a good reaction from the audience.

Igor did very good job with Capellini/Lanotte. Two years ago they were skating little juniorish but now everything they did looked effortlessly. -Sorry, English is not my first language.-

I like that move.

http://youtu.be/TVgO8FMO2NI?t=1m40s

Your English is very good! I can't imagine evaluating skaters in my second language, which is very rusty French. If I may suggest, you only need to take the -ly away to make the adjective "effortless." (They skated effortlessly, but they looked effortless.) Meanwhile, your critique explains why I hadn't noticed this couple earlier--they were more juniorish in the past. I'll go check them out--thanks!

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE (USA) - 75.70 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 69.88 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 61.26 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.71 Short Dance
5. Julia ZLOBINA / Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 54.53 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Cathy REED / Chris REED (JPN) - 54.28 Short Dance
7. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 54.10 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 53.17 Short Dance

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if Davis/White went back to their normal speediness so I could enjoy all the pretty things about the program (which is really good IMO, I love it!) a bit more. But lol, look at this from an IceNetwork article published today:

Weird, right? So I guess that's why this was faster than SLC? I mean, maybe the advice was particular to Scheherazade but if they've been working on their speed...

I agree with the judges that in their first showing of Scheherazade they were quite slow & labored looking but that could change since they've had more practise time.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
C/L: :love::love: (this explains everything I think :biggrin: )
I liked D/W, but I still have the same impression: they need more speed!! (and the SLC judges agree with me, basing on IN) Lovely skate, even if a 6-points difference between them and Anna and Luca is a bit too much I think (please don't hate me for this)
Really love the Shibs, too: nice skate, really elegant and mature, this is what suits their style I think! Looking forward to the FD (especially because, so far, I've predicted correctly the top4!!)

:love: C/L's program too & believe it should have been scored ahead of D/W, whose program was nice but contained a lot of hopping and cross cuts to gain speed. 6 point difference is homeflation IMA. Just my expressing my opinion!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay everyone, I'm calling it now C/L for GOLD! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm amused at how C/L is being used as a pawn in the latest chapter of the V/M vs D/W rivalry.

I too loved C/L's program and continually impressed by their progress, but they are not anywhere near either couple. They don't have the technical execution of Davis and White nor the overall fluidity Virtue and Moir. Let's be reminded that Virtue and Moir still scored 69+ at Finlandia with a SUPER HARSH technical panel while C/L got 69 by getting all level 4s in their elements. Doesn't take a math genius to see that V/M (and D/W to an extent) still have plenty of room to score higher by improving levels and C/L is much closer to their scoring ceiling given their current level of execution.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Okay everyone, I'm calling it now C/L for GOLD! :laugh:

Seriously, I'm amused at how C/L is being used as a pawn in the latest chapter of the V/M vs D/W rivalry.

I too loved C/L's program and continually impressed by their progress, but they are not anywhere near either couple. They don't have the technical execution of Davis and White nor the overall fluidity Virtue and Moir. Let's be reminded that Virtue and Moir still scored 69+ at Finlandia with a SUPER HARSH technical panel while C/L got 69 by getting all level 4s in their elements. Doesn't take a math genius to see that V/M (and D/W to an extent) still have plenty of room to score higher by improving levels and C/L is much closer to their scoring ceiling given their current level of execution.

Actually no one is a lock for anything. Not even D/W. The ice is slippery. Just look at what happened in the last Olympics. I would not mind one bit if the Italians won gold, and it's not out of the realm of possibility. The biggest shocks of skating are always reserved for the Olympics. All the medals are up for anyone to grab. But... In my opinion, at this current time, having seen what I have seen so far, I rate the Italians as favorite for silver. This could always change or be reinforced throughout the season. Oh and V/M scored a 67.23 @Finlandia

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually no one is a lock for anything. Not even D/W. The ice is slippery. Just look at what happened in the last Olympics. I would not mind one bit if the Italians won gold, and it's not out of the realm of possibility. The biggest shocks of skating are always reserved for the Olympics. All the medals are up for anyone to grab. But... In my opinion, at this current time, having seen what I have seen so far, I rate the Italians as favorite for silver. This could always change or be reinforced throughout the season. Oh and V/M scored a 67.23 @Finlandia

Well of course anything is possible. But point is, if I was a gambling woman, I wouldn't bet again V/M at this point. Even at 67, it's still not that far off from 69 and that is with several Lvl 2 elements, still reinforcing my point that they is room for improvement and higher scoring that C/L doesn't have.

What I see is the gap from V/M and D/W is much lower than in year's past, but that doesn't mean they will be beaten.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Well of course anything is possible. But point is, if I was a gambling woman, I wouldn't bet again V/M at this point. Even at 67, it's still not that far off from 69 and that is with several Lvl 2 elements, still reinforcing my point that they is room for improvement and higher scoring that C/L doesn't have.

What I see is the gap from V/M and D/W is much lower than in year's past, but that doesn't mean they will be beaten.

There is room for improvement with C/L PC marks also. If they keep doing well they will only go up. D/W and V/M are at the ceiling already with those. The same way Michelle kept beating Tara during the Olympic season but ended up getting snatched at the Olympics. And Tara did it by out jumping her, so the case can be made that if C/L has harder elements than everyone and perform them better, no reason they can't do the same, specifically the way V/M keeps getting zinged on their levels.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There is room for improvement with C/L PC marks also. If they keep doing well they will only go up. D/W and V/M are at the ceiling already with those. The same way Michelle kept beating Tara during the Olympic season but ended up getting snatched at the Olympics. And Tara did it by out jumping her, so the case can be made that if C/L has harder elements than everyone and perform them better, no reason they can't do the same, specifically the way V/M keeps getting zinged on their levels.

As I mentioned before, C/L doesn't have as much room as V/M. Yes they can score more +GOE but that won't be worth as much as D/W and V/M getting those levels 4s later on in the season. Even if they get straight +3, it's not a ton of additional points.

I love a good underdog story as the next person. I think it's a bit premature to declare anything.

ETA: Oh you meant PCS marks. Yet's that true. But the question whether they will perform at a level to merit straight 9s. They are getting low-to-mid 8s. I can see them getting maybe on the top end of high 8s by the Olympics.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
As I mentioned before, C/L doesn't have as much room as V/M. Yes they can score more +GOE but that won't be worth as much as D/W and V/M getting those levels 4s later on in the season. Even if they get straight +3, it's not a ton of additional points.

I love a good underdog story as the next person. I think it's a bit premature to declare anything.

ETA: Oh you meant PCS marks. Yet's that true. But the question whether they will perform at a level to merit straight 9s. They are getting low-to-mid 8s. I can see them getting maybe on the top end of high 8s by the Olympics.

I think even much higher than that. They could come in and shock just like Grishuk/Platov http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cZ4wx8470

Ice Diva

On the Ice

Ah the ubiquitous Mrs. P. - you want to play but no one's taking the bait. ;) I love all the ice dancers & like you, just give my opinion on what I see. Anything can happen in the Olympic year & it'll very exciting so don't rule any of the top teams out. The pressure will be intense; there is so much talent and depth in ice dance, and it's often harder to be the hunted rather than the hunter.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
? Virtue & Moir, Davis & White, and Domnina & Shabulin?
I think Blackswan is referencing the fact that D/S came in as world champions, and then were beaten by a team that had never been on the worlds podium before (D/W).

And for the record, I never stated that I believe C/L will win the silver, I was just pointing out similarities between the two teams and saying that it would be quite the surprise if someone did sneak in for a silver.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah the ubiquitous Mrs. P. - you want to play but no one's taking the bait. ;) I love all the ice dancers & like you, just give my opinion on what I see. Anything can happen in the Olympic year & it'll very exciting so don't rule any of the top teams out. The pressure will be intense; there is so much talent and depth in ice dance, and it's often harder to be the hunted rather than the hunter.

Um, where did I rule the top teams out? I'm just stating ogically based on current execution/performance, I don't see either of the top 2 giving up their spots be it gold/silver or the reverse. As I said, I love surprises and it would be fun see a shakeup, but right now I don't see a shakeup just yet.

Maybe I"ll change my mind as we get further into the season.

I'm not sure what bait you think I was giving :confused: I don't make comments to bait anyone.