Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

LRK

Record Breaker
True, but skating is not about what she achieved a year or two ago; it is about how she skates now. Caroline Zhang also achieved a lot a few years ago and now...

And now.... she was fourth at Skate America, which isn't stellar, but is scarcely along the level of what Caroline Zhang did, no? "Now" is this season, I presume, and if so, for the most part, it has yet to be skated.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya scored 63+ for her SP at the Russian Cup event. If Liza continues to bomb SPs even with a good FS Pogo could maybe come out ahead if she has a good SP like this and then decent FS. I know Anna does not get very high PCS for now (and we will have a better idea of what they will look like in senior internationals after CoC), but like posters have mentioned, Liza's PCS aren't so high either, and if she keeps giving up 10-15 points away in the SP, then someone like Pogo or Gosviani might be able to take advantage of the situation and come out ahead even if their marks in the FS aren't as good. Doesn't mean they will be sent to the Olympics or even that they would actually be placed over Tuk, just maybe that they should. I like Liza and think she is fierce in her FS this season but the SP is not good and it's so frustrating to see her make huge mistakes in the SP time and again. I don't get how she can go out and nail 5, 6, 7 triples in her FS no problem on a regular basis, but then can't manage doing 3 or even 2 triples in the SP. Aargh.

I guess the good news is, if the team does end up being Tuk and Sot, with a Sot SP and Tuk FS, Russia might have a good chance at winning a team medal. That being said the way it looks now I think Lipnitskaya will be on the team.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Pogorilaya's presentation has definitely improved this season.

Agreed. I found her to be kinda bland and boring last season on the JGP but she had the difficult content and she landed the jumps. I liked what I saw of her test skate a few months ago. The program had a little kick to it and I saw more of Anna's personality coming through. If she's able to maintain her consistency she'll be tough competition for nationals.

She's still not great but last season it was jumps and nothing else. This season she's clearly worked on improving her posture and lines and her SP has lots of upper body movement throughout. She's still far from being the most elegant skater but she's moving in the right direction. And her incredible consistency seems to be still here. Russian Nationals will certainly be a bloodbath.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya won the Russian Cup event with total score of 174. No videos yet but the FS must have been pretty solid. Gosviani also scored 175 at Golden Bear last week. For October these results are pretty good, will be interesting to see what happens as the season goes on. Also, does anyone know how serious Leonova's injury is?

Slowdive

On the Ice
My heart wants Tuktamysheva & Lipnitskaya but my head says it'll be Tuktamysheva & Sotnikova.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Then your head had a huge brain fart.

HA! Funny image...

I agree though. The two strongest Russian ladies right now are Julia and Elena. Lucky for Liza T and Adelina that Elena isn't eligible b/c if she were, more than likely she and Julia would be on the team and both Liza and Adelina would be left off. I think, barring so bad injury, Julia will be on the team. As of right now I have no idea who will get that last spot. Both Liza and Adelina are inconsistent. Stronger GP season + nationals performance will probably get that spot.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I think Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are likely to be sent to Euros, where the two highest placed will get the ticket to the Olympics. Pogorilaya is nice and improving steadily, but she won't score high on PCS internationally, not yet.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are likely to be sent to Euros, where the two highest placed will get the ticket to the Olympics. Pogorilaya is nice and improving steadily, but she won't score high on PCS internationally, not yet.

Assuming Julia continues on strong, and also assuming Tukt and Sot continue on as they are, Julia can pack her bags no matter what happens at Euros. Of course for now it's all a big if still.