2013 Skate America Men Free Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Adam's program is really a work of art. Seriously, like, some refined work going on in that program. He's really looking better than he ever has!

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Forgot to thank Srin earlier. :bow: I did not know about Weir's situation. Good example re: "Never say never." :)

Not to dash your hopes but it was a rather unusual season. For example, Plushenko was only assigned to COR and took away valuable placement points by winning the gold.

flaneur

On the Ice
Aaron: Looking at the costume I guess he is a fan of Virtue/Moir? There are parts of the program in the middle that were really dead... slow and no footwork. His leap from unknown to being a contender is impressive.

Rippon: really impressed with his improved athleticism. Loved some of the ballet choreographic touches in the program.

Machida: technically clean and everything is there... kind of reminds me of Denis Ten. He feels a bit slow though. Japanese men has such ridiculous depth.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Dai going to Morozov was a huge mistake
he wont even make the GPF ? he has to watch now Hanyu, Oda, Machida, maybe Kozuka, Mura and Murakami too

I agree about Morosov!
I'm hoping Daisuke will pull off a Shizuka 2006 :)
Miss the GPF, get rejuvenated, practice and... :clap:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Bravo to the medalists for beating the World Medalists in this event!

Good to see great improvements and maturing by the American Men. Let's hope Adam does not peak too early as he tends to do. What I noticed about Jason is his beautiful extension and his new posture, no more bending over with his butt sticking out. People are excited about his 3A but I think his PCS has improved greatly too, likely due to good training and stabilized body done with fast growth.

Mathman may have some fun poking at WallyLutz but after watching the videos, I think Wally simply pointed out the obvious in this competition regarding the Japanese. Takahashi and Kozuka were disppointing and Machida brought it technically but his PCS are not among the top elites yet.

I find scoring at this SA very generous. Not sure if it's because it's the Olympic season or just this particular panel. I do hope marks at different events will be comparable.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Finally managed to watch the free, congrats to the medalists!

Really liked Jason's free skate, managed to maintain the theme and feel of the program through to the end. Hopefully this was a good learning experience for him and he'll come back stronger next time we see him.

Impressed by the strong competition A Ripp had, but I think I might be missing something cause I didn't 'get' his free program... it allowed him to show off his great skating skills at some moments, but I found the music disjointed and rather bland tbh.

Well deserved win for Machida, I had a feeling he would bring it but his quads have really become solid. The scores he got did seem high for what he put out though, and his short is much stronger than his free program.

Happy about Kozuka's costume change, but performance wise that skate fell short. We all know he's got terrific skating skills, but I can't say he was terribly underscored in PCS this time around...

Not the outing anyone would have wanted for Dai, but I think a lot of his errors were more due to confidence and focus than actual jumping ability. He's still got some time to brush up the tech before NHK, and goodness knows he'll want to kill it in Japan, so here's hoping to a stronger performance next time around. His SP is classic Dai, while the FS isn't one of his best programs but is much stronger than last season's.

On to the next GP!

Moment

Final Flight
Daisuke has been two-footing, under-rotating, even falling on his quads since forever. It does have to do with his jumping ability, which has been deteriorating with his age, more than anything else combined.

Time to scrap the quad and focus on skating clean with easier layout.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Daisuke has been two-footing, under-rotating, even falling on his quads since forever. It does have to do with his jumping ability, which has been deteriorating with his age, more than anything else combined.

Time to scrap the quad and focus on skating clean with easier layout.

His quads were in line with what he's shown in the last few seasons, but I was speaking more about his mistakes on the other jumps. He is usually able to hit the rest of his jumps in his program regardless of how the quads go, but he made mistakes on those this time around that I think can be fixed for the next competition.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Rippon is attempting a 4Lutz, not a Salchow. I'm thrilled for him too! :love:

Adam has been under my radar until I watched his interview on TSL, fell in love with him, and am now ecstatic for him after watching him skate two lyrical yet powerful, gutsy and beautiful programs! Yay!

ciocio

On the Ice
Mathman may have some fun poking at WallyLutz but after watching the videos, I think Wally simply pointed out the obvious in this competition regarding the Japanese.

Wallylutz would have pointed the same even if Kozuka or Takahashi or Machida have skated some stellar programs. Everyone knows he/she is based against skaters who are not Canadians or don't have Canadian coaches.

Sara

On the Ice
I didn't know where to post this, but I would need some help from somebody who knows French language. There's a clip from youtube regarding the sanction the French federation gave to Joubert. My French is not good enough to understand what the president of the skating federation is saying... He mentions something that Brian had not prepared himself well enough and also something about a flu he had?? I hate this guy so much, I think he is only providing excuses... Brian is also saying that they had not informed him well beforehand and that nobody in the federation replied to him when he contacted them. :scowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFAALFjvU7Y

I can't translate the video, but I think the French federation has sent out mixed signals. The first announcement was that Joubert did not qualify for his Skate America assignment because he did not participate in the French Masters. Later they backed off from that (after all, Joubert was invited to participate in SA by the event organizers, with the blessing of the ISU), and said that the French Federation did not not prevent Joubert from competing, but rather he was not competition ready.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wallylutz would have pointed the same even if Kozuka or Takahashi or Machida have skated some stellar programs. Everyone knows he/she is based against skaters who are not Canadians or don't have Canadian coaches.
So she is the antithesis to sky fly?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think Takahashi's confidence has taken a hit because of poor judging. 2012 Worlds he skates "perfectly" with a Quad and still loses to someone that made two BIG mistakes.

2012-2013 Japanese Nationals he skates great in the SP and skates "perfectly" in the Long Program with 2 clean Quads and 2 clean Triple Axels, but still lost the event to Hanyu. When you skate that amazingly and don't win against people who aren't skating their best, what are you supposed to think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoUoiorSQ8

His second Quad was wrongly called as underrotated (as was his 2Loop, strangely). His Quad in the SP at this event was also wrongly called as underrotated. Takahashi worked so hard to get his Quad in shape and didn't get credited for it. When your biggest elements are not receiving the credit they deserve, it makes you extremely paranoid about being able to execute them. Takahashi hasn't been able to do a proper Quad in competition since that event.

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Finally managed to watch the free, congrats to the medalists!

Really liked Jason's free skate, managed to maintain the theme and feel of the program through to the end. Hopefully this was a good learning experience for him and he'll come back stronger next time we see him.

Impressed by the strong competition A Ripp had, but I think I might be missing something cause I didn't 'get' his free program... it allowed him to show off his great skating skills at some moments, but I found the music disjointed and rather bland tbh.Well deserved win for Machida, I had a feeling he would bring it but his quads have really become solid. The scores he got did seem high for what he put out though, and his short is much stronger than his free program.

Happy about Kozuka's costume change, but performance wise that skate fell short. We all know he's got terrific skating skills, but I can't say he was terribly underscored in PCS this time around...

Not the outing anyone would have wanted for Dai, but I think a lot of his errors were more due to confidence and focus than actual jumping ability. He's still got some time to brush up the tech before NHK, and goodness knows he'll want to kill it in Japan, so here's hoping to a stronger performance next time around. His SP is classic Dai, while the FS isn't one of his best programs but is much stronger than last season's.

On to the next GP!

Totally agree with this comment. I thought it was a very strange choice of music for Adam. I mean, I was expecting there to be some sort of high point in the music, and it was sort of the same harmony throughout with no creschendo. Very strange choice, especially for how expressive he can be.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the French federation has sent out mixed signals. The first announcement was that Joubert did not qualify for his Skate America assignment because he did not participate in the French Masters.

Do not claim to have exhaustive knowledge of this story ... but AFAIK, L'Equipe independently reported that the reason behind Joubert's withdrawal from Skate America was sanctioning by FFSG (b/c Joubert did not compete in the French Masters).

In other words, I do not think that FFSG announced anything of the sort. Instead, L'Equipe's publication of the story was based on its own original reporting.

In a previous post quite a few days ago, I had included a link to the official FFSG press release saying (I'm paraphrasing) that L'Equipe's reporting was wrong.

LRK

Record Breaker
Do not claim to have exhaustive knowledge of this story ... but AFAIK, L'Equipe independently reported that the reason behind Joubert's withdrawal from Skate America was sanctioning by FFSG (b/c Joubert did not compete in the French Masters).

In other words, I do not think that FFSG announced anything of the sort. Instead, L'Equipe's publication of the story was based on its own original reporting.

In a previous post quite a few days ago, I had included a link to the official FFSG press release saying (I'm paraphrasing) that L'Equipe's reporting was wrong.

Just to add that the French fed says that Brian is sick - and Brian says that he has been sanctioned.

ETA: Note: The l'Equipe story was on Monday, the same day that USFSA (I believe?) tweeted that Brian had been withdrawn from Skate America.

The other two things - the French fed press release, and Brian's interview, were on Tuesday.

ETA 2 - Just to add a few thoughts of my own. My guess - emphasise guess - is that neither the journalists nor Brian knew that he was supposed to be sick at the time of the interview, as to my knowledge, he has neither been asked about that, nor commented on it. But, again, I know none of that for sure - and I do not speak French - so any further information on this point would certainly be welcome, should anyone know anything more.