Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, ghislaine, for your kind words.

I promise that should it ever be my good fortune that we meet, I'll not spit on you.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This ^ x a zillion. I would be happier if they would, but they are not obligated to.

And no Bluebonnet, it's far from a dead horse. And it's already having unforeseen consequences-a new, more virulent strain of the HIV has emerged in Russia and is spreading at an alarming rate. Even the Moscow Times acknowledged "Russian schools generally offer little or no sex education, a factor that is believed to contribute to a high HIV infection rate from lack of awareness about sexually transmitted diseases." Silence = Death. So does willful ignorance.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...-spreading-rapidly-scientists-say/488004.html

I'm sorry to talk about it further but this thread was never a figure skating thread from the very beginning. May I ask what does this new found virus have to do with the said Russian law?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bluebonnet - with the law you cannot talk about homosexuality to children as it is "propaganda" - so in that you cannot talk about "safe sex" and the dangers of STDs... that's the gist anyway.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I'm sorry to talk about it further but this thread was never a figure skating thread from the very beginning. May I ask what does this new found virus have to do with the said Russian law?

Well, it's akin to teen pregnancy here in the US. As MANY, MANY studies have shown, teaching "abstinence only" doesn't work. Also, teaching safer sex practices doesn't increase the rates of sex, just of SAFER SEX, and it also reduces the number of teen pregnancies.

Not giving the information people need increases the danger.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, it's akin to teen pregnancy here in the US. As MANY, MANY studies have shown, teaching "abstinence only" doesn't work. Also, teaching safer sex practices doesn't increase the rates of sex, just of SAFER SEX, and it also reduces the number of teen pregnancies.

Not only is all this true, but illness COSTS MONEY. It costs money to diagnose and to treat. It takes people who could be economically productive out of the equation. Every single attempt to regulate sexuality by silencing any mention of it does not have any impact on the number of people having sex--but it certainly does on the potentially negative consequences of doing so, consequences that could be largely avoided with education and common sense. And yes, that's another unintended consequence of this reprehensible law in Russia.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet - with the law you cannot talk about homosexuality to children as it is "propaganda" - so in that you cannot talk about "safe sex" and the dangers of STDs... that's the gist anyway.

You sounded like school has the full responsibility for sex education and it is all school's fault for STD spreading.

It's not that I don't objectively appreciate Davis and White's obviously stellar skating. It's that as human beings, they have shown themselves to be more calculating than human. It's not unheard of, but it is disappointing since they represent a sport that has a very significant percentage of gay athletes, and I imagine they are probably "friends" with more than a few of them. Sometimes principle matters, and I think if you don't have the courage to stand up for your friends and choose to spout off a calculated, total non-answer to what is a relatively easy, straightforward question, it reveals a certain level of cowardice and lack of moral principle.

"Courage to stand up for your friends"? What did their friends suffer? Every their skater friend has the right to compete at Sochi and get fair judging regardless their sexual orientation. The law is not about the athletes. What more do you want to demand from any of them? They didn't answer it directly because they chose to avoid to answer directly. So what? What is "moral principle"? I have come to realize that your moral principle might not be other people's moral principle. To me, to insist upon moral principle is to stand with Russia and support this Russian law.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You sounded like school has the full responsibility for sex education and it is all school's fault for STD spreading.

Actually I think Public Schools are a waste of time for children, society has forced them to become daycares raising their children when they are too busy to. Schools, also, kill personal identities - everyone is equally special and talented, nevermind if Jr. can't win a race, give him a gold medal, too.

However, from how I understand it the law opens it up to where you can't even teach of homosexuality and how it works within society as a parent to your child. Unless it's just to make them into the three headed monster. Scaring people into believing something does not work. It may scare them in teh moment, but they fall away in a BIG way after the fear has passed (just ask the Hell, Fire, and Brimstone preachers).

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Right, to teach children the alternative way/ways of having sex so it could reduce the pregnancy rate.:rolleye:

ghislaine

Rinkside
Right, to teach children the alternative way/ways of having sex so it could reduce the pregnancy rate.:rolleye:

Sex education doesn't teach children to have sex. It says "This is what sex is, this is how your body works, and no one is allowed to touch you without your permission. If you do have sex, take these steps to make sure nothing happens to compromise your health."

zschultz1986

Final Flight

Your apocryphal and incorrect assumption of what "Sex Ed" is shows exactly what is wrong. Is suppose you don't believe in evolution, either. Science is science, and it can be tested, disproven, retested, etc. There's a reason people are supposed to TEACH this stuff, because it is FACT. Your one step away from some of the people (gay and straight) I know that deny AIDS is caused by HIV. Not only is it stupid, it's DANGEROUS.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Such BS. There's a difference between giving your opinion on someone else's opinion and demanding public support.

Also, whether D/W like it or not, they're in a position of importance, as World Champions and OGM Favorites. To not understand that people listen to what you have to say is both stupid AND naive.

Also, Dave didn't ASK THE QUESTION TO THEM. IT'S NOT JUST DAVE. You people are just on a relentless crusade. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Also, at some point, what is more important? The lives of Russian men and women being discriminated against or a skating competition? I understand WHY some people wouldn't want to hurt their chances by giving an actual opinion, but it doesn't mean I agree with it. It's the cowards way out.

then go there then and parade with your placards, its so low to register in GS for the sake of trolling,
D/W have no obligation to follow your own political views. i repeat their aim is to win as every athletes aim is nothing more

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Guys, when a thread devolves into discussing sex education laws, the desirability or non-desirability of public education, and the laws in Russia, it's a political thread. This thread is being moved to the Politics forum.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Actually I think Public Schools are a waste of time for children, society has forced them to become daycares raising their children when they are too busy to. Schools, also, kill personal identities - everyone is equally special and talented, nevermind if Jr. can't win a race, give him a gold medal, too.

However, from how I understand it the law opens it up to where you can't even teach of homosexuality and how it works within society as a parent to your child. Unless it's just to make them into the three headed monster. Scaring people into believing something does not work. It may scare them in teh moment, but they fall away in a BIG way after the fear has passed (just ask the Hell, Fire, and Brimstone preachers).

I agree that some irresponsible parents believe that school has the full responsibilities in shaping their child's characters. That is totally wrong! While school takes part of the responsibilities, parents have to take full responsibilities for their children's future. It's such a big topic.

Back to what at hand, why should school teach homosexuality to children?:confused: It is not a desirable lifestyle for anyone to choose. I've realized that there are some exceptions. About 1 - 2% of people claimed to be "born with it". That should be dealt with individually not generally. Teaching about homosexuality in school or to children anywhere is by content an indoctrination to children. What school should do is to rally against all kinds of bullying. It is wrong to just single out sexual orientation bullying.

Sex education doesn't teach children to have sex. It says "This is what sex is, this is how your body works, and no one is allowed to touch you without your permission. If you do have sex, take these steps to make sure nothing happens to compromise your health."

Too much and/or too early sex ed definitely pollutes the children's innocent minds and opens a whole new can of worms which vast majority of children have never even heard of or thought about.

Your apocryphal and incorrect assumption of what "Sex Ed" is shows exactly what is wrong. Is suppose you don't believe in evolution, either. Science is science, and it can be tested, disproven, retested, etc. There's a reason people are supposed to TEACH this stuff, because it is FACT. Your one step away from some of the people (gay and straight) I know that deny AIDS is caused by HIV. Not only is it stupid, it's DANGEROUS.

You don't know me at all. Your this post is totally irrelevant!

There are all kinds of facts. Do children have to know all of them?! In fact, some sort of ignorance on children's part is by far a good thing. What school should do is to shift students' attention from sexuality to important studies like Language, Math, Science, and etc. Help them to live an up-beating life with higher goals. Parents should take on the major task of sex education to their children at appropriate times.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For what it's worth I didn't learn about homosexuality in health/sex ed class. Not at first. It was when I was doing a report on Brian Orser and his "divorce"/"civil" case had just happened. I honestly didn't know what "that's gay/you're gay/they're gay" meant. Gay for me meant Happy. It was the same time frame as Rudy Galindo coming out as being HIV positive. I was very naive (some would say I still am) but a person's sexuality was not something I thought about. It's not my business... and it's STILL not my business.

So maybe skating should just be kicked out of the Sochi games. They can bring it back once Russia isn't hosting so as not to cause any "damage" to child psyche.

(Also, I can't speak for all sex ed classes, but the teacher we had in 9th grade was WAY too enthusiastic about the sex ed... she not only went into "safe sex" practices but the different types and flavors of condemns... as well as positions that were more comfortable depending on your size. We were barely in our teens, and I went to school with her son - who was in her class as she was doing this. She didn't teach abstinence as an option until I did my report. Not saying it should be abstinence or nothing, but it SHOULD be talked about as a REAL option, not scoffed at.)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So maybe skating should just be kicked out of the Sochi games. They can bring it back once Russia isn't hosting so as not to cause any "damage" to child psyche.

The thing is that figure skating is not a gay sport in Russia and many other countries. The Russians don't see male ballet dancers and male figure skaters as all gays. And most of them are in fact not gays. I don't understand. How does watching a male dancer or a male figure skater's performance damage to child's psyche?

(Also, I can't speak for all sex ed classes, but the teacher we had in 9th grade was WAY too enthusiastic about the sex ed... she not only went into "safe sex" practices but the different types and flavors of condemns... as well as positions that were more comfortable depending on your size. We were barely in our teens, and I went to school with her son - who was in her class as she was doing this. She didn't teach abstinence as an option until I did my report. Not saying it should be abstinence or nothing, but it SHOULD be talked about as a REAL option, not scoffed at.)

Thanks, Toni! This is a perfect example of opening a whole new can of worms.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The thing is that figure skating is not a gay sport in Russia and many other countries. The Russians don't see male ballet dancers and male figure skaters as all gays. And most of them are in fact not gays. How does that damage to child's psyche?

But this is not Russian Nationals - this is the Olympics. You're going to have a bunch of "North American Skating Stereotypes" there. They're going to skate the programs they've skated all season, they're going to wave and smile and talk the way they always do. They're going to hang out, hug, and show affection like they always do. Because it's "second nature" to them. Not because they're pushing a lifestyle onto anyone else, not because they want a whole generation of children to "be gay" (they may want the generation to ACCEPT them as being OKAY but that's a completely different matter).

I'm a conservative Southern Baptist, my views on homosexuality labels me a bigot, but as much as I may disagree with "the other side" I don't understand what Russia is trying to accomplish here - especially when it comes to the rules of visiting Nations during the Winter Games.

As for back to the original topic - It's not our business to make a skater be a political figure or take a stand. Just because they are in a sport that - in North America - may cater to a certain group of people it doesn't mean they all have to go out and fight for each injustice. I see nothing wrong with them saying "we don't talk about this with each other." Maybe they DON'T hold the same view on it? Maybe they haven't had a lot of time to research it. So what if they don't give a well thought out response to it. Yes the question is going to keep coming, but they need to focus on skating and upping their game, not what they're going to say to questions that have nothing to do with what they're doing on the ice.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But this is not Russian Nationals - this is the Olympics. You're going to have a bunch of "North American Skating Stereotypes" there. They're going to skate the programs they've skated all season, they're going to wave and smile and talk the way they always do. They're going to hang out, hug, and show affection like they always do. Because it's "second nature" to them. Not because they're pushing a lifestyle onto anyone else, not because they want a whole generation of children to "be gay" (they may want the generation to ACCEPT them as being OKAY but that's a completely different matter).

I'm a conservative Southern Baptist, my views on homosexuality labels me a bigot, but as much as I may disagree with "the other side" I don't understand what Russia is trying to accomplish here - especially when it comes to the rules of visiting Nations during the Winter Games.

To me, it is more and more clear that this Russian law is not aiming at the things that listed in your post, Toni. For my understanding, this law is aiming at something much deeper than holding hands and kissing in the public. I believe it is against something like what US schools, media, and entertainment industry have done in this regards. It is actually a custom for Russians to kiss and hug often publicly. At world track and field championship, two Russian female runners, who each has married to a man, made quick kiss on each other's lips to celebrate their victory. It was quickly picked up by US media with excitement as the sign of Russian athletes protesting their country's law. Only to find out a couple of days later that the US media has been ignorant on this Russian culture. The two Russians didn't mean to protest in anyways.

I remember back a couple of months ago, a poster has posted a gossip kind of link on FSU about what the life would be behind the scenes at the Olympic village. Quite shockingly loose lifestyles of many athletes. But I don't think that part would go into news and reach minors. So it is not in the restrictions in this Russian law.

Besides, every athlete should do their part to learn the host country's customs and related laws and respect them. Unless some gay activists, athletes or not athletes, as saying they have planned, deliberately break the law, I don't see any problems. As of those who break the law/laws of a host country intentionally, any laws, not just this one, I'm sorry, they know it and break it, they have to bear the consequences of breaking it. You don't go into a mosque and insist that you have the right to eat pork in the mosque, do you?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So say, somehow, the Olympics are done in the Middle East - one of the very "conservative" countries.

All women MUST be dressed head to toe a certain way, and ALL must follow the religious customs of the country. Jews, Christians, Muslims all have to break their "orthodox" customs to fit in with the custom of the host country.

Am I taking an extreme to make an example? yes. But I think this is how some athletes are feeling it will be in Sochi. And instead of saying something different Putin and Co just keep saying "you will be punished." Doesn't help people feel "safe" to be themselves and do as they always have.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So say, somehow, the Olympics are done in the Middle East - one of the very "conservative" countries.

All women MUST be dressed head to toe a certain way, and ALL must follow the religious customs of the country. Jews, Christians, Muslims all have to break their "orthodox" customs to fit in with the custom of the host country.

Am I taking an extreme to make an example? yes. But I think this is how some athletes are feeling it will be in Sochi. And instead of saying something different Putin and Co just keep saying "you will be punished." Doesn't help people feel "safe" to be themselves and do as they always have.

I have a cousin who is sent by a US company and currently working and living with his family in Qatar. He and his family come back to US once a year. The forieners there are exempt from wearing veils while their country women have to cover head to toes. But the foriengers are restricted not to wear any clothes that would show woman's bare shoulders. Since where they live has such hot weather, to be themselves is to wear anything they want by their own country's standard. Should the foriengers break the customs of that country and wear tanktops just because they could wear them at public places like malls in their own countries? My cousin's wife always puts on extra clothes with sleeves that cover at least half of her arms when she goes out.