Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I AGREE. My first reaction is always that the skater has made a mistake!!!! lol

Yup, I'm with Icey, Sam-Skwantch & Mathman on this one. It usually looks like a mistake to me, too, but I'm not an expert by any stretch.

Can someone explain the reason for putting in the 1L? Is it just to create a 3-jump combo w/o the difficulty of more rotations in the 2nd jump? Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but this is a "stupid questions" thread! :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup, I'm with Icey, Sam-Skwantch & Mathman on this one. It usually looks like a mistake to me, too, but I'm not an expert by any stretch.

Can someone explain the reason for putting in the 1L? Is it just to create a 3-jump combo w/o the difficulty of more rotations in the 2nd jump? Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but this is a "stupid questions" thread! :)

It's the only way to get on to the back inside edge to do a Salchow as the second jump in a combination.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It's do the edge. When you land a the first jump, the landing edge is such that you can do a 3T or a 3Lo. By adding that 1L, the edge of your skate is such that you can do a 3S.

Someone can probably explain what those specific edges are. That's beyond my comprehension. ;)

EDITED TO ADD: What Sam-skwantch and Mrs. P. said. :)

The reason is to get on the other foot. All jumps are landed on a right back outside edge (for a counterclockwise jumper). In a combination you have to go right back up from the same edge. The only jumps that take off from that edge are the toe-loop and loop. So the only possibilities for a two-jump combo must end with one of these two as the second jump.

But now if you want to squeeze one more jump into your program without violating Zayak rules, then you can put a flip or a Salchow at the end. But now you have to hop over onto the left foot for the take-off.

Patrick Chan had a pretty good one. He managed to step and turn so deliberately in between that it did not look so much like a mistake.

Something like that. :)

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks SS, MM, & Mrs. P for 1L explanation! Visualizing different edges is a challenge for me but I get the basic idea. More or less...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But now if you want to squeeze one more jump into your program without violating Zayak rules, then you can put a flip or a Salchow at the end. But now you have to hop over onto the left foot for the take-off.

That reminds me of the 3Z-1L-3F combo that Alexander Johnson did at 2013 Nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE#t=01m33s

I though Alex did a nice job with that combo. Hoping we'll see it again this season.

ManLady

On the Ice
youtube user germann1968 has an entire set of ISU training videos on components, but none on elements. does anyone know if these are online anywhere? if not, maybe some other videos on evaluating elements?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm not aware of a specific ISU set of videos for elements, either for judges to award GOEs or for tech panels to call elements.

The ISU does have a DVD called "Elements of Basic Skating (the fundamentals of Figure Skating by analyzing basic skating techniques)" listed on its Publications for sale page. I believe it was made before IJS (and youtube -- but it would be a copyright violation to post it there anyway) and is more general in its approach, but I've never seen it -- I don't know if it's geared more toward coaches who should already know the basics or to fans and/or beginning judges who weren't advanced skaters themselves.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We have program practice once and sometimes twice a week at my rink where a competition is simulated..to an extent. The ice is cleared and you get to skate your program free of traffic and everyone wears their full outfits. Everyone watches you skate so it is a good test of nerves in addition to breaking in your competition garb. As a side note: bring your tissues. Someone is going to cry.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New stupid question re memorabilia showing U.S. skaters:
Mirai retweeted a fan's photo that displays mini-posters of Mirai, Jason, Gracie, and Max. The shot of Jason is the best (can't see the one of Max).
Are the posters available from a commercial vendor? (Yes, theoretically I could ask the tweeter, but this thread is so convenient :).)
https://twitter.com/skatingsteph97/statuses/491254591560757249 (Jul 21)​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
New stupid question re memorabilia showing U.S. skaters:
Mirai retweeted a fan's photo that displays mini-posters of Mirai, Jason, Gracie, and Max. The shot of Jason is the best (can't see the one of Max).
Are the posters available from a commercial vendor? (Yes, theoretically I could ask the tweeter, but this thread is so convenient :).)
https://twitter.com/skatingsteph97/statuses/491254591560757249 (Jul 21)​

I believe it's from the Stars on Ice program. And yes, you can get it for $15.

http://www.starsonicestore.com/programs-and-books/2014-stars-on-ice-tour-program.html

I might have to get one! (I decided against it when I went).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
My stupid question is: how do you follow a skater on VK without sending them a friend request? I don't see a "follow" button anywhere, even though their page has lots of followers. :confused:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My stupid question is: how do you follow a skater on VK without sending them a friend request? I don't see a "follow" button anywhere, even though their page has lots of followers. :confused:

You can't.

When you send a friend request on vKontakte, you automatically start following them. That is how profiles have so many followers - they have had lots of friend requests that they have not accepted!

Personally, I don't worry about it - I just send the friend request anyway. If they accept it, all well and good. If they don't, well, you still get their updates on your News Feed. The only difference is that if you follow somebody, you can't post to their profile or reply to posts on their profile.

Alternatively, there is an "add to bookmarks" button at the bottom of the profiles. If you click this, you can get quick access to profiles from the "My Bookmarks" page. But, you don't get updates on your News Feed from these pages (as far as I know), whereas you do with pages you follow.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
This may not be especially stupid, but I was wondering about World Championship ticket prices and general info. I want to go in 2016 in Boston (very far away, I know) but I would like to know what I'm to expect. I searched for info about Worlds but got only bits of information. I was wondering when is the earliest they usually will be put up for sale? Will buying them as early as possible save any money? How much are men's and ladies' fs usually? What is a good row/section to sit? Do you have any recommendations for a site to buy them on?
Sorry for so many questions, but I've never been to a sporting event before :eek::