Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 122 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Karne, that's a cute statement but it's not correct. There are ton of black dance and exercise clothes because in my case at least. That's what most choreographers make their dance students wear. ALL of my students are required to wear black when we're working on a competition program or preparing for concert. I have so many sets of black dance attire because 99% of the choreographers I danced for required it.

With the exception of Vegas ( Where all female dancers were required to wear Character Shows and Tights just to audition ) In LA, most dancers will show up at an audition with a full face of make up, perfect hair, and their cutest Black Outfit........

I can't tell whether you are implying/extrapolating that you think that 99% of skaters are required to wear black practice clothes???

Anecdotal evidence makes that hard for me to believe.

Today at Skate America practice, Jason was wearing a light blue t-shirt, and Ross and another man (Brendan?) were wearing red ones.

In the past, our mutual favorite Josh has been seen at competition practice in his white t-shirt with the sushi motif.
I think it would be pretty easy to come up with examples of other non-black attire ... although I agree that many skaters do wear a lot of black.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't tell whether you are implying/extrapolating that you think that 99% of skaters are required to wear black practice clothes???

Anecdotal evidence makes that hard for me to believe.

Today at Skate America practice, Jason was wearing a light blue t-shirt, and Ross and another man (Brendan?) were wearing red ones.

In the past, our mutual favorite Josh has been seen at competition practice in his white t-shirt with the sushi motif.
I think it would be pretty easy to come up with examples of other non-black attire ... although I agree that many skaters do wear a lot of black.

Hey Golden!!

No, I wasn't talking about skaters, I was talking about dancers like jazz and ballet. Also, my comments were about a group activity, and not meant for singles or solo performers. I'll let soloists wear whatever makes them happy as long as I can see their body line when they do their final run through of their program at the end of their rehearsal.

Dance Studios are often cold as many of them are warehouses with a dance floor that's been laid on top of concrete. You know how dancers are. They will wear the baggiest ripped hoody that their boyfriend or girlfriend gave them and I'll basically have to pry it off their body for their final run through.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
But Maxim did skate in the Russian test skates with his white costume...

Yeah he did... And its awful, imho - i really wish he had a diff costume color (visibility being one of the things that bothers me in the current version)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just popped onto the lululemon men's website and the predominant colour is black, which I really think has more to do with it.

Although, sometimes you just get attached to certain colours. I think my coach nearly had a heart attack the day I turned up wearing a red t-shirt instead of my usual blue/green...

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chiming in here as another dancer; for student dancers the dress code is usually black leo pink tights (for ballet) and it varies for modern (love the imagery about the sweatshirt, mrrice; it's so true!), but for professionals that usually no longer holds. The logic is as long as you can see your body and the lines most things go, and so you see dancers taking class in multiple layers and then shedding them throughout class. I would imagine it'd be the same thing for skaters, but with them, an extra layer might be a lot more dangerous than in dance. I'm sure black is just a handy and expedient color that is popular with everyone since it's easy to see, easy to layer/match with other things, and every store sells it.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I just PMed the reigning Olympic Champion in figure skating and she kindly replied to me within 1 minute. :shocked:

Sorry for a personal reference, but it got me thinking: how incredibly cool are social media and aren't they a real chance for less popular sports to flourish? :love:

How is she doing?? I hope you told her a lot of us are rooting for her!!

On another note, happy birthday Stupid Questions Thread. Long may you prosper.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just popped onto the lululemon men's website and the predominant colour is black, which I really think has more to do with it.

Although, sometimes you just get attached to certain colours. I think my coach nearly had a heart attack the day I turned up wearing a red t-shirt instead of my usual blue/green...

AHHHHHHHH!!!! RED!!!!! :mad: My ballet teacher started with "You aint that Hot boy!" "You better have another shirt in that dance bag or you can fall into the GAP and get one!!" "You know I don't allow red in this class" OUT! :slink:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hey Golden!!

No, I wasn't talking about skaters, I was talking about dancers like jazz and ballet. Also, my comments were about a group activity, and not meant for singles or solo performers. I'll let soloists wear whatever makes them happy as long as I can see their body line when they do their final run through of their program at the end of their rehearsal.

Dance Studios are often cold as many of them are warehouses with a dance floor that's been laid on top of concrete. You know how dancers are. They will wear the baggiest ripped hoody that their boyfriend or girlfriend gave them and I'll basically have to pry it off their body for their final run through.

Sorry... I did not realize that your post was a tangent from moriel's question about skaters wearing black.

karne's post was a response to moriel about skaters. So it seemed reasonable to assume that your response to her -- although it alluded to your extensive experience with dance and dancers -- was meant to be a comment about skaters as well.
In many of your posts, you share your dance perspective in order to make a point about skating -- so I got confused this time.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I am confused. I thought you, mrrice, were saying why you thought skaters wore black based on why dancers do? Was that not the case?

Also, can't someone just like red? Lol

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah, I am confused. I thought you, mrrice, were saying why you thought skaters wore black based on why dancers do? Was that not the case?

Also, can't someone just like red? Lol

Sorry guys, I guess I have to be more clear in my responses. BTW, Of course someone can just like red. I loved wearing red and still do. It was my ballet teacher that didn't like red especially on MEN. I know, weird right. Growing up in the 80's, I was in high school when the Movie Fame came out and Footloose came out during what would have been my Senior Year but I was already on tour by then and remember watching it with subtitles in Japan.

Flashdance is the movie that "Ruined" dancewear for all the choreographers I used to dance for. They also hated the song "Maniac" and if we ever had it playing on our "Boom Boxes" during lunch they'd make us turn it off. I had to deal with Moulin Rouge and Chicago outfits during my time. :drama:

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking it was you. I was just incredulous that your teacher made such a big deal of wearing red as if it signalled some overly inflated opinion of themselves by the student, rather than it meaning just that they liked red. :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How hard is mule kick to get rid of?

Do any of you know anyone who had a mule kick and got rid of it entirely?

:hopelessness: Certainly Caroline Zhang never really did get rid of hers.

Maybe Professor Mishin has managed the feat with a student who arrived at his school with a mule kick?

I don't know about entirely. but Sasha Cohen handled hers pretty well.

By the way, I just looked up the Wikipedia entry that mentions this subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutz_jump

IIRC the sentence that says:

Another notable technique flaw (beside the fLutz) that appears in many skaters' Lutzes (and flip jumps) is "mule kick" or "toe hammering," which occurs when the free leg rises unusually high, typically near (in some cases above) hip height, before descending to strike the ice.

has been the subject of extended editing wars between the pro- and anti- Sasha people. At one time the sentence ended, "…like Caroline Zhang and Sasha Cohen." Then the Cohen-heads would edit out Sasha. Then the antis would retaliate and put it back in.

I see the good guys won and even poor Caroline has been let off the hook. I wonder if Grant Hochstein had anything to do with that. :)

(Another such instance occurred when Alex Shibutani's Wiki page was mysteriously edited to include the "information" that Alex had been voted the "sexiest man in figure skating." Suspicion centered on his college roommates Charlie White, Evan Bates, and Trevor Young. :laugh: )

mrrice

Record Breaker

:hopelessness: Certainly Caroline Zhang never really did get rid of hers.

Maybe Professor Mishin has managed the feat with a student who arrived at his school with a mule kick?

Well, didn't Sarah Hughes "Kind of" get rid of hers? She had a horrible mule kick when she won the silver medal at junior worlds

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Is there a thread somewhere on the forum summarizing ISU rule changes for 2015/16? I heard during Gracie's short program that a doubled jump is worth no points. I'm sure there are some other significant rule changes I'm unaware of. I tried searching but that doesn't mean a thread isn't here! It just means I'm not a good searcher LOL! Or could someone summarize the major rule changes? Many thanks!

Pika

Final Flight
Here's a stupid question, but I have wondered for a long time... How is Kori Ade supposed to be pronounced ? (The french pronouncation doesn't really work..)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
here here...

i understand that it is allowed to do, 2A+3T twice in a FP... considering 3 ladies did this in SA.. (with various degrees of success)....

here is my question... why is it allowed? with all the zayak rule/invalid elements etc... why allow this repetition of an identical element? especially since it favors skaters who do not have 3-3 combos....because it's understood that if a skater does 3?+3T, they can only do one more 3T.. so only one 2A+3T..