Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 125 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do people say skaters are still going to hit puberty after 15 or 16? I'm thinking of Elena Radionova who's 16 (I think) and people still think she's going to splat soon. Don't people mean that the skater is going to grow? I finished growing at 12 and I hear that's not an uncommon occurrence, so is it just a skater thing that they all grow late? I came from an intense ballet background and I do remember girls going through some of the hormonal changes later, but the growing didn't happen all that much later.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why do people say skaters are still going to hit puberty after 15 or 16? I'm thinking of Elena Radionova who's 16 (I think) and people still think she's going to splat soon. Don't people mean that the skater is going to grow? I finished growing at 12 and I hear that's not an uncommon occurrence, so is it just a skater thing that they all grow late? I came from an intense ballet background and I do remember girls going through some of the hormonal changes later, but the growing didn't happen all that much later.

For the girls, it's not their height that is an issue. It can sometimes be the actual process of changing from a little girl into a mature woman. There are a whole lot of things that happen then, from the hormone changes to naturally putting on weight to grow boobs to widening hip structure, which all changes the centre of gravity. This is all normal and healthy, but unfortunately, there are quite a lot of skating fans (and, frighteningly, coaches) out there who are all too happy to call a skater going through such changes "fat" and not be patient with them through this change.

You only have to look at the treatment of Liza. Why, it was just two years ago that people were filling threads with hate, calling her fat and telling her to retire, and she was just 17. But Mishin was patient with her, worked with her, and look at her now - World Champion and Queen. And people still call her fat.

For me, I didn't start developing until I was eighteen. A lot of women will finish their upwards growth and then have to wait for the rest of it to come in.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stupid question... Is there a reason why only jumps are awarded extra points for being in the second half of the program? Why not every element that's executed in the second half gets a boost? IIRC, it was because skaters get tired and jumps become harder. But well, don't spins become harder when a skater is tired, too?

I think the extra points are not so much about fairness as they are about promoting "balanced programs". Early on in the new judging system, all the skaters were front-loading their programs with jumps. All the programs wound up with similar layouts, and it was boring. Also, since many people find the jumps the most exciting part, not having any jumps in the second half made the programs a bit flat. The 10% bonus was introduced to promote more balanced programs and reward putting jumps (which I believe require more energy than other elements) throughout the program. If this leads to everybody back-ending their programs with jumps, I believe it will be reviewed.

Rewarding all elements in the second half of the program with an extra 10% might lead to skaters just cruising around for the first half of the program, then cramming all the elements into the second half, and that's not what they are trying to encourage. I know that really wouldn't happen, because there's so little time, so many elements to get in, but skaters naturally tend to put "other elements" into the second half of the program, so there's no need to reward them with extra points for doing so.

jace93

On the Ice
I was wondering: the lowest score and the highest score the judges give when evaluating the goes are dropped to eliminate outliers and get a theoretically less influenced score. Does the same thing happens in the components score? because I was looking through skate canada protocols and here was a judge that had marked Hanyu quite lower than all his colleagues, and I was wondering if this had impacted on Yuzu's pcs's score or not...

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the girls, it's not their height that is an issue. It can sometimes be the actual process of changing from a little girl into a mature woman. There are a whole lot of things that happen then, from the hormone changes to naturally putting on weight to grow boobs to widening hip structure, which all changes the centre of gravity. This is all normal and healthy, but unfortunately, there are quite a lot of skating fans (and, frighteningly, coaches) out there who are all too happy to call a skater going through such changes "fat" and not be patient with them through this change.

You only have to look at the treatment of Liza. Why, it was just two years ago that people were filling threads with hate, calling her fat and telling her to retire, and she was just 17. But Mishin was patient with her, worked with her, and look at her now - World Champion and Queen. And people still call her fat.

For me, I didn't start developing until I was eighteen. A lot of women will finish their upwards growth and then have to wait for the rest of it to come in.

Thanks Karne! That makes much more sense now.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
You forgot the classic "put her on diet pills". I can't believe this type of people... Are they morons? We are talking about kids/teenagers, hardworking kids actually! Don't they remember how it was when they grew up? It's hard already with all your body changes, add that to being in the public eye and working your *** off!
And how on earth can athletes be fat? Are they blind? Liza looks excelent, the only concern we should ever address about these people is when we really think their health is in danger!

I was wondering: the lowest score and the highest score the judges give when evaluating the goes are dropped to eliminate outliers and get a theoretically less influenced score. Does the same thing happens in the components score?

Yes.

Warning: boring math fact ahead. PCSs are given to the nearest 1/4 of a point, and after trimming there are 7 scores to be averaged. This means that the decimal part for each component will always be the decimal equivalent of a fraction of the form x/28. :biggrin:

Weathergal

Medalist
Yes.

Warning: boring math fact ahead. PCSs are given to the nearest 1/4 of a point, and after trimming there are 7 scores to be averaged. This means that the decimal part for each component will always be the decimal equivalent of a fraction of the form x/28. :biggrin:

In case we were wondering how you got your name... :biggrin:

Just kidding--I appreciate your explanations!

jace93

On the Ice
Yes.

thank you:gclap:

Amei

Record Breaker
I was thinking especially about skaters like Lipnitskaya. Skaters that seem to struggle with competition itself. Instead of only skating A events with tough competitors, it seems like maybe skating 1 or 2 B events like Liza did could be beneficial. Get back on the horse so to speak, against lesser competition.

I agree, I was saying that prior to SA, she is fine in practice, it's competition that she hits a wall. But the gamble with that is that what if she still has the jump issues in the competitions against what would be considered 'lesser competition' and doesn't win - that could damage her worse from a mental aspect.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What is a bona fide member?

What is not a bona fide member?

:biggrin:

Weathergal

Medalist
I think this just means they have enough posts to make a custom title? Not sure how many posts that is though.

Since I am relatively new, I should remember this... I think you can customize your title at 100 posts,--although I finally just figured it out recently. :laugh:

I think the bona fide member started appearing with things like the new PM features and icons were added.

100 posts. Bona Fide Member just means that you now have access to all the features of Golden Skate, including the right to submit a "custom user title," upload your own "custom avatar," post in the "politics" folder, etc.

Previously, when a member reached 100 posts the term "custom title" appeared in the line where custom titles go. "Custom title" is not a custom title. It is an invitation to submit a custom title if you want to. Many people didn't, so the board looked kind of funny with all those "custom title" designations. The new term, "Bona Fide Member" just means that you are a member in full standing.

If you have "Bona Fide Member" under your username and want to submit a custom title, click on "Settings" at the very top right, then on "Edit Profile." (Don't forget to scroll down and click "save changes" when you are done. :) )

Last edited:

penguin

On the Ice
One question just suddenly jumped in to my mind, how many types of entry can one have for a flip?

I can only think 3 types right now:
https://youtu.be/hnSIfSK6LtU?t=88
https://youtu.be/4JNcGZRNV4w?t=41
https://youtu.be/Y0DW6h-bBQM?t=271

Any other diffferent ones?

The first and third are the same entry, from a mohawk. (The third just has lots of preceding footwork, but the entry itself is an inside mohawk.) As far as I know, there are two flip entries: outside 3-turn and inside mohawk.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hello All, I was just watching some old FS video's and came across Tanja Szewczenko of Germany. I am wondering if "Szewczenko" is a German last name as it sounds like she might be from the Ukraine or the Czech Republic. Are her Parents German?

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Stupid question:
What does +COMBO (e.g. 3Lz + COMBO) exactly mean? Does it dock points? When does this appear? Because I've seen plenty of jumps that were supposed to be combos but were not done in combination and the +COMBO was not written in the protocols.

And- I know you lose a few points for repeating elements, but what elements are you not allowed to repeat? I saw 2A 3T twice from someone this week and they were both given full credit.
*hides in shame for not knowing*

Last edited: