Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 84 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Rissa

Record Breaker
Personally, I do not begrudge the judges a meal or two. They are unpaid volunteers who donate their time and expertise for love of the sport, receiving little love back for their dedication and service. :)

I head no idea that judges don't get paid for the judging... (shows what a noob I am...)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sandpiper,

When you look at the world standings, always look for things like missing years and additional competitions. For instance, if you look at Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Illiushechkina/Moscovitch, both are well down in the standings because this is their first year competing; they have competitions on the first line only (this year).

When you compare them with each other M-T/M are ahead, but because they had two more competitions; they went to the grand prix and I/M didn't because of her late release by Russia. In addition, you can see that not all Junior B's count in the "selected competitions" columns (last two columns); I/M did one, to get the TES required to go to 4CC, but didn't get any points for it.

I generally try to disregard (back out) those "select international" points when deciding who is "better". For example in the men's, Dennis Ten is ahead of Javier Fernandez based on those those "select international" points. On the other hand, Javi has more grand prix events with points.

A better example is Richard Dornbush ahead of Han Yan in the standing totally based on his "select international" points. That doesn't make him a better skater!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I don't look at World Standings at all to determine who's "better." The only reason I care is because they affect the groups at Worlds, and thus the marks handed out by the judges.

I'll do better at charts in the future, I hope. :) I know Senior B's count as points... I didn't realize they were enough to offset S/H's advantage over S/K everywhere else. Wondered if there was something major that S/K did, but I missed it. :laugh:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does the little hop turn thing at 4:53 in this video, after which the commentator says "beautiful," have a name? If so, what is it?

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Sorry, newbie question... Was wondering about one of Shoma Uno's spin positions during his last spin combination in both current SP and FS programs. It's upright, torso bent forward, right hand grabbing foot of right free leg which is crossed behind skating leg, left arm straight up in the air. Would this be considered a variation of a crossfoot spin or an A spin? Does it have a name of its own? Really like this spin~

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So....do they play the "I wanna drive the Zamboni" song at ISU events during the intermission(and obviously during a resurfacing) or is that just a hockey thing?

Pretty stupid question..I know :)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have another question. At the 2:30 mark in this video is Elizebet doing an Ina Bauer, a spread eagle, or something else altogether? And how fricking sweet is that Beillman right after it? Are these new variations or have others done it?

Last edited:
I have another question. At the 2:30 mark in this video is Elizebet doing an Ina Bauer, a spread eagle, or something else altogether? And how fricking sweet is that Beillman right after it? Are these new variations or have others done it?

Sorry I can't time stamp...I'm on my phone and it doesn't let me.

She does an Ina Bauer and then a 3 turn into her layback.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So....do they play the "I wanna drive the Zamboni" song at ISU events during the intermission(and obviously during a resurfacing) or is that just a hockey thing?

Pretty stupid question..I know :)

I don't think I have ever heard the song at an event, so it is probably just hockey. Usfsa does montages of vids on the Jumbotron that it has recently released like montages of previous champions, q&a with current skaters and everybody should learn to skate ads.

JayW

Final Flight
Gender vs. Wrong Edge

I just realized that it seems ladies get e or ! more than guys. Is there any explanation for that? Or I simply have wrong impressions?

JayW

Final Flight
Here is a really stupid question: I don't recall any man with long hair winning OGM, especially single event. Is longer hair or bigger hair really that bad for the competition?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It sure happens in ice dance. Consider Gwendal Peizerat. (2002)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2EQkpLWPlOY
Charlie White's hair isn't what you could call short either (2014)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivec...-than-twizzles-charlie-white-plays-violin-too

For that matter, Plushenko's hair has been fairly long at times. (Olympic champion 2006) photo is 2004! thanks plushyfan!
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4

and Ondrej Nepela's hair was quite long (1972)
http://figureskating.about.com/od/h...-Olympic-Figure-Skating-Gold-Medalists_11.htm

Last edited:
JayW said:
I just realized that it seems ladies get e or ! more than guys. Is there any explanation for that? Or I simply have wrong impressions?

I don't know why, but men don't flutz. Maybe something to do with upper body strength?

Just for a spot check I looked at the long programs for 2014 worlds. Ladies got a total of 10 e's on Lutzes, men 0.

For flips it was Men, 8 e's, ladies 6.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Is there a reason where there are so few flutzers in men but on the other side, why there are more lippers than in ladies?