Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

YLFan

Match Penalty
Ok heres one. Who started the trend of flesh covered skates in Russia. A look I really like.

YLFan

Match Penalty
But basically every Russian girl now wears them. At what point did that happen.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This must be my day for grousing about my least favorite skating styles. :scratch: I was complaining about Bielmanns in that thread & now here I go again re: flesh-colored skates or tights covering the skates. To me the tights look like Ace bandages, although can understand the practicality of covering white boots -- it must be next to impossible to keep them looking pristine clean.

IIRC, Katarina Witt started wearing flesh-colored skates at some point after she turned pro. Still, Barbara Underhill (loved her & Paul M!) pre-dates Katarina.

High fever

Spectator
Here is another stupid question - How to find the scores of each skater in an ISU competition in 90s? Is there a database we can search?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Recently, Ice Network has chosen to write the name given in the ISU bio as Tuktamysheva as Tuktimysheva.
Her bio
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010705.htm
The IN article
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/30/82358418/tuktamisheva-aims-to-return-to-previous-form ...

A belated FYI re spelling choices for names of skaters:

Stumbled upon US Figure Skating's style guide (2013-14), and see some spelling "edicts" (my word ;)) at the very bottom of the last page.
Not saying that GS must abide by USFS style. Just interesting (IMO) to see that USFS officially has decided to use certain spellings that it recognizes are going against the tide.

Name spellings
There are names of several foreign skaters, coaches and competitions we have decided to spell differently than some other outlets. For example:
Evgeni Plushenko (commonly seen as “Evgeny”)
Nikoli Morozov (Nikolai)
Marina Zoueva (Zueva)
Elizaveta Tuktamisheva (Tuktamysheva)
Ondrej Nepela Memorial (Nepala)
Yu-Na Kim (Yuna Kim, Kim Yu-Na)
Rafael Arutunian (Arutyunyan)​
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2013-14styleguide.pdf (fifteen pages)​

gkelly

Record Breaker
Here is another stupid question - How to find the scores of each skater in an ISU competition in 90s? Is there a database we can search?

Many thanks! But none of these websites seems to have the score given by each judge?

No, there is no website that published detailed protocols (with scores and ordinals) from all competitions in the 1990s.

In the later 1990s, as Internet use became more widespread, sometimes detailed protocols were posted on a competition website and sometimes dedicated fans typed up scores from specific competitions. I know I saved some on my hard drive at the time. But I didn't hold on to them when I upgraded to a new computer, nor do I know anyone who posted that kind of detailed information in one place.

For Olympics only, see http://winter-olympic-memories.com/html/results/results_top.htm

If you have a question about a specific competition, go ahead and ask. I have a few hard copy protocols or lists of scores that I copied into notebooks that I saved. Other longtime fans might have different competitions. So maybe you'll get lucky.

But there isn't any comprehensive repository of detailed results that I'm aware of.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A belated FYI re spelling choices for names of skaters:

Stumbled upon US Figure Skating's style guide (2013-14), and see some spelling "edicts" (my word ;)) at the very bottom of the last page.
Not saying that GS must abide by USFS style. Just interesting (IMO) to see that USFS officially has decided to use certain spellings that it recognizes are going against the tide.

Name spellings
There are names of several foreign skaters, coaches and competitions we have decided to spell differently than some other outlets. For example:
Evgeni Plushenko (commonly seen as “Evgeny”)
Nikoli Morozov (Nikolai)
Marina Zoueva (Zueva)
Elizaveta Tuktamisheva (Tuktamysheva)
Ondrej Nepela Memorial (Nepala)
Yu-Na Kim (Yuna Kim, Kim Yu-Na)
Rafael Arutunian (Arutyunyan)​
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2013-14styleguide.pdf (fifteen pages)​

That is a seriously strange style guide. Perhaps the writers on staff have decided to institutionalize their favorite misspellings :rofl:

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is a seriously strange style guide. Perhaps the writers on staff have decided to institutionalize their favorite misspellings :rofl:

It sure does seem arbitrary. Makes me wonder if there are any real reasons behind it -- other than Doris's suggestion, that is. :laugh: To me the oddest one is Morozov's b/c the name "Nikolai" is familiar to loads of people outside the skating world. Aside from that, over the years there have probably been dozens of skaters, coaches, choreographers etc. named Nikolai so why mess w/ it now? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Funny thing is, I only remember Katarina wearing those ugly tan skates. I'm not even sure if it extends the line. What's the point?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a somewhat "stupid" question, rather it's just an observation I've made and I was wondering if there was an actual reason for it. Why is it that the majority of world level ladies single skaters are always so young? Carolina might be an exception to the rule, however, is there a reason that most female skaters hit their prime in their teenage years and retire in their early twenties? Men's skating seems to have an older median age... And then there's pairs and dance, why are those top skaters always a lot older than their singles counterpart? Look at V/T, D/R, the one Chinese pair couple (can't remember their name, sorry) - all those skaters are in their late 20s or even early 30s. Kirsten Moore towers is 22, yet her wish to compete with Michael Marianno for one or two olympic cycles would place her at age 26 and age 30 for the next Olympics, meanwhile that's almost unheard of for singles skaters.

So are there any theories as to why this is?

^ I think the main theory is that little girls can jump better than grown women. (?)

In the olden days (before jumps became so important) I think that many teenaged skaters tried to win amateur championships so that they would have opportunities to skate in shows like the Ice Follies and Ice Capades and make money, and so they left competition as soon as they accomplished this goal.

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
^ I think the main theory is that little girls can jump better than grown women. (?)

In the olden days (before jumps became so important) I think that many teenaged skaters tried to win amateur championships so that they would have opportunities to skate in shows like the Ice Follies and Ice Capades and make money, and so they left competition as soon as they accomplished this goal.

^^mathman is correct here. Also, Dance is known to have the oldest competitors because you are able to do so thanks to no jumps. :)

Amei

Record Breaker
But basically every Russian girl now wears them. At what point did that happen.

I think some of them might be the boot covers, Julia's skates are white, but she usually wears boot covers or tights that go over.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Here's a stupid question: What is the purpose behind the gloves that many skaters now wear? (Sometimes built into the costume, but sometimes now even mesh or flesh-colored.) Does it make gripping the skates/blades for the now ubiquitous catch-foot moves easier? Does it keep their hands warm? :) Is it just a fashion choice? Whatever the reason, why is that it seems to be more common among Russian skaters?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I've read it's part fashion and function. Those blades are sharp and the gloves prevent fingers from being cut or at least hide bloodied fingers especially in the kiss and cry. :ew: Yulia has almost always had gloves on and I hope she sticks with it. Trademark?

Amei

Record Breaker
Here's a stupid question: What is the purpose behind the gloves that many skaters now wear? (Sometimes built into the costume, but sometimes now even mesh or flesh-colored.) Does it make gripping the skates/blades for the now ubiquitous catch-foot moves easier? Does it keep their hands warm? :) Is it just a fashion choice? Whatever the reason, why is that it seems to be more common among Russian skaters?

I think it has to do with the safety and the amount of moves where they grab their blades, Julia has multiple spins and her spiral sequences involve her holding the blade or at least grabbing the blade to get her leg up in the spiral sequence. When learning the moves for protection she probably wore gloves and it just makes sense to keep wearing them in competition because it probably makes her more comfortable doing the moves.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
People have been known to cut their hands while performing Biellmanns, so if I were a figure skater, I'd wear gloves too. :)