Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Bring a multivitamin with you. Trick your body into thinking you ate something healthy with nutritional value. You may be surprised at how much better you feel and how long you go before being hungry again when you take the vitamins. I frequently feel hunger very soon after eating junk, but if i get something decent in me (usually do the nutrition drinks, but can't bring them in as easily) it makes a ton of difference.

The cost still sucks, but it might help you end up feeling better and spending less money.

Also, see if there is chance that they have vending machines. If they do, go through your change collection, grab everything "silver" (In the USA that is everything over the penny, but obviously other countries will be different, basically all the coins the machines take) and put it in a baggy. You likely have more money in dimes (10 cents) than you think. I have done this when playing care giver in the hospital, I was glad I did.

tulosai

Record Breaker
You are limited to what food there is available in the rink..& sometimes it is hotdogs and pizza, but sometimes there is a broader selection of food available.

Again, whether you can move up or not depends on how stringently seating is enforced by the venue..some do and some don't.

I would say at most venues you can move up, and more than just a few rows, though it depends both on the venue, the section you are in, and the specific event (moving up during the ladies LP tends to be hard, for example :p). It can also depend on the specific guard guarding that specific aisle- you might be shot down once and walk down a few sections and slip into a seat without issue. Sometimes (very rarely) they will even tell you you can move down/encourage you to.

At the end of the day though, you should buy seats you can live with... it is possible you'll be stuck with them.

And yes, the food situation tends to be unfortunate.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thanks, Meoima!
My pleasure. And Murakami means "upper village" in Japanese.
In case you are curious about some Japanese names:

:) Takahashi means "high bridge" If I remember correctly.
Suzuki means "wooden bell"
Honda means "root field" or something, this one is tricky.
Asada means "shallow field" or might be "drained field".

But Hanyu's name is the most difficult. :unsure:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hanyu = 羽生 means born of feather. Not meaningful in an usual way.

Honda is 本田 which can mean original or this field.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hanyu = 羽生 means born of feather. Not meaningful in an usual way.
Honda is 本田 which can mean original or this field.
In my language Hanyu's name sounds aesthetically nice. Since East Asia people used the same writing system in the past, so I can get his name in my language even though I am not Japanese, but it's not really meaningful when translate it into English.

Yuna Kim's name can also be translated into English by using this old writing system. "Kim" in her surname means "gold" anyways.

Honda name can be translated as "original field" or "the field where it all started".

But Hanyu is rare. Thus harder to translate. The "Ha" word means "feather" and the "Nyu" word means "birth". Sound very nice in East Asian languages, but not much in Western country.

My name can also be translated using the same writing system, literally it means "tender perfume" :biggrin:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Does anyone know where to find reliable, credible sources on jump technique(or technique in general) and scoring/judging aside from the isu website? I'm doing a research paper on the aforementioned topics and would like some more info beyond the ones I found on my school's database. News articles of major judging scandals, the like would also be helpful.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Does anyone know where to find reliable, credible sources on jump technique(or technique in general) and scoring/judging aside from the isu website? I'm doing a research paper on the aforementioned topics and would like some more info beyond the ones I found on my school's database. News articles of major judging scandals, the like would also be helpful.
if you want some credible sources On jump technique I think you might have to pay some money.

s_parks

Record Breaker
if you want some credible sources On jump technique I think you might have to pay some money.

oh I don't want super specific stuff, but really general things like which jumps are which... how base values and goe works. i mean, wikipedia has general descriptions but it's not like i can cite wiki :/ I got the more specific info from my univ databases.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Gkelly is a fountain of knowledge :bow:

Look up the Analyzing Adelina's Step Sequence thread...the first few pages at least:laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think this video on different jumping styles might be up your alley.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone... not sure how i can cite gkelly, wish she was published in a journal or something :laugh: the info is invaluable though.

s_parks

Record Breaker