Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 172 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Yes, I think a toeless lutz would have to be done with the free leg behind, similar to a walley (or a lutz, haha). My thought is that when no toe pick is involved, then when rotating in the same direction as the entry edge, it's better to place the body (and hence the free leg) within the circle being made by the entry curve. Hence the salchow, loop, and inside axel positions; the axel being the exception because of the power of the free leg swing. But for counter-rotated jumps, it's better for the weight to be outside the circle, essentially because you're switching circles in the air. Hence the walley (and thus the toeless lutz) I'd expect the free leg to be behind.

It's just a bit of speculation though.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Hello, guys! Sorry if this has been asked before, but what happens to the BV of a jump that receives an ur call and an edge call at the same time? For example: a 3lz e <

Does it still get 70 per cent of the bv or something lower like 70 per cent of 70 per cent?

Thank you!

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Hello, guys! Sorry if this has been asked before, but what happens to the BV of a jump that receives an ur call and an edge call at the same time? For example: a 3lz e <

Does it still get 70 per cent of the bv or something lower like 70 per cent of 70 per cent?

Thank you!

It gets 60% of the BV. In the scale of values, if a jump is under-rotated OR wrong edge, then the value will be in column "V" which is 70% of the BV. If a jump is under-rotated AND wrong edge, then the value will be in column "V1" which is 60% of the BV.

charlotte14

Medalist
Yes, I think a toeless lutz would have to be done with the free leg behind, similar to a walley (or a lutz, haha). My thought is that when no toe pick is involved, then when rotating in the same direction as the entry edge, it's better to place the body (and hence the free leg) within the circle being made by the entry curve. Hence the salchow, loop, and inside axel positions; the axel being the exception because of the power of the free leg swing. But for counter-rotated jumps, it's better for the weight to be outside the circle, essentially because you're switching circles in the air. Hence the walley (and thus the toeless lutz) I'd expect the free leg to be behind.

It's just a bit of speculation though.
I can't image something like that. If there is no toe pick, then it's more like an outside Sal

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Weird question...Why do we never see combos that have a 2A-3Lo (or 2A-2Lo) Is it a matter of the jump mechanics?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Weird question...Why do we never see combos that have a 2A-3Lo (or 2A-2Lo) Is it a matter of the jump mechanics?

The 2Lo as part of a combo was a requirement in the 1988 Olympic year.

All 3 men's medallists did 3A2Lo in their SP that year:
Boitano at Nationals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah3Fmy7hAn0
Orser at Olympics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lQGAxH4VYx
Petrenko at Olympics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Jw81aAFGU

3Lo as a second jump in any combination is not frequent, because it is often called under-rotated. It is not worth the risk.

Maybe the most amazing 3Lo as second jump I remember was Midori Ito' s, who satisfied the 1988 SP requirement by doing 2Lo3Lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIzYlQhiBRo

notunprepared

On the Ice
I'm very new to figure skating (literally got into it two weeks ago) and I want to watch Skate Canada but I'm having trouble understanding the schedule. The different colours are the different categories, but what does s/f mean on the Thursday? Is that practice time?

And just so I know I'm reading it right, Friday 10am is the men's short program yes? What's happening on Friday at 12:57?

Thanks!

cleo2070

Final Flight
I'm very new to figure skating (literally got into it two weeks ago) and I want to watch Skate Canada but I'm having trouble understanding the schedule. The different colours are the different categories, but what does s/f mean on the Thursday? Is that practice time?

And just so I know I'm reading it right, Friday 10am is the men's short program yes? What's happening on Friday at 12:57?

Thanks!

Welcome, notunprepared! :) Post long, post often!

Yes, s/f refers to the practice of the Short/Free Program or Dance. If the interval is coloured in its entirety, then it's the practice. If just the upper and lower margins are coloured, then it's the actual competition. So the first competition is Ladies Short Program on Friday at 12:57 local time. Check out Doris' mega-useful post here for a link to the time in other places!

Also, have a look in the Skate Canada sub-forum, you'll see lots of details discussed there ;)

pearly

Record Breaker

Thanks!

In this case Thursday is practice day with official practices (judges & panel attend) and the skaters can CHOOSE whether they will practice their Short or Free in each session (that's why it says S/F on the schedule; meaning Short/Free). Each group will get a warmup period and then the music will be played in a particular order. I haven't been able to find that order online yet :) The skaters will have informed the person operating the music whether they will skate their short or their free at that practice session.

If someone is not present, their music will still be played or there will be a 4 minute period of background music until it's next skater's turn.

You noticed that each category has two practice sessions today - they will most likely skate one program in the morning and the other one in the afternoon. But they can do what they choose. Most skaters will omit the most difficult elements during their runthrough - some jumps and lifts will only be "marked" and not executed.

The competition itself is on Friday afternoon (short program/short dance) and Saturday afternoon (free program/free dance). Official practices will take place in the morning on each day, but then skaters do not get the chance to choose what they practice. On Friday their SD/SP music will be played, on Saturday their FD/FP. The music will be played in the same order as in the competition.

Friday at 10 am is men's short program practice. As cleo2070 wrote, the first competition event is at 12:57 on Friday - Ladies short.

Enjoy watching!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Thanks!

Are you in Australia like me? I'm about to post my time conversions in the Aussie threads in the Fan Fest, it comes out pretty good for us ngl! I do these conversions from the official schedule.

freeman21

On the Ice
Is it ok to film during events? I mean with a smartphone and only for a few minutes (like 1-2 programs), not the entire event.
(never been to a live event before)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I wouldn't know for sure, but I wouldn't see a problem as long you're not obnoxious about it / block other people's view...

borzaya

Final Flight
Another language question. As you may have noticed from some google translations, the Russian word for a popped jump is "бабочка" - which literally means "butterfly". A user at another forum tries to persuade me that the English-speakers also call a popped jump "butterfly". But I have never come across such term in any English texts or talks about figure skating yet :think: So, is it true or not? Thanks in advance.

nimi

Medalist
Another language question. As you may have noticed from some google translations, the Russian word for a popped jump is "бабочка" - which literally means "butterfly".
I'm not a native speaker, but yeah, I don't remember even hearing popped jumps being called "butterflies", either.

Which reminds me... In my language, a popped jump is often called a "balloon". English speakers don't use that expression, right? (Just checking.)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not a native speaker, but yeah, I don't remember even hearing popped jumps being called "butterflies", either.

Which reminds me... In my language, a popped jump is often called a "balloon". English speakers don't use that expression, right? (Just checking.)

I've never heard a pop called either a butterfly or a balloon in English.