Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

usethis2

Medalist
How exactly does "home ice advantage" work in competition, say at Olys or Worlds? If the judging panel is made up of individuals from multiple countries and the technical callers are also from different countries, it would seem to me that where the competition is physically held would not make a big difference in how skaters are scored, aside from the more enthusiastic crowd noise for skaters from the host country making their performances seem more impressive. Do the host country's reps put pressure on all the judges to favor their skaters more? Just wondering because I hear comments about "skating on hostile ice" and it's a little confusing...

Well, if you were to put aside the fraudulent judging - imagine taking shower/bath in your home v. at someone else's house. It's just more comfortable even if everything is the same. This kind of home advantage is, however, largely accepted as an inevitable in every sport. Corrupted judging or score fixing a la Sochi is a different story, however.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New stupid question :):

From Jordan Moeller's blog from Junior Worlds about getting ready for his SP:
I took my time warming up and got myself mentally prepared as well. I was feeling a little nervous but in a way that just gave me a little more adrenaline. I got my skates tied and duct taped, and was feeling good.
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/10/69051264/bulgaria-bites-moeller-blogs-from-junior-worlds

Wondering what he needs to do to his skates with duct tape?
Could it be something routine that Moeller does every time he skates? And is it something common among elite skaters?

(My interpretation of his words is that he is not talking about an "emergency" fix for an unanticipated problem with his skates.)​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How exactly does "home ice advantage" work in competition, say at Olys or Worlds? If the judging panel is made up of individuals from multiple countries and the technical callers are also from different countries, it would seem to me that where the competition is physically held would not make a big difference in how skaters are scored, aside from the more enthusiastic crowd noise for skaters from the host country making their performances seem more impressive. Do the host country's reps put pressure on all the judges to favor their skaters more? Just wondering because I hear comments about "skating on hostile ice" and it's a little confusing...

Well, if you were to put aside the fraudulent judging - imagine taking shower/bath in your home v. at someone else's house. It's just more comfortable even if everything is the same. This kind of home advantage is, however, largely accepted as an inevitable in every sport. Corrupted judging or score fixing a la Sochi is a different story, however.

:confused2: Regarding the analogy to a shower/bath in one's own home:
My understanding is that in common usage, "home ice" does not necessarily refer in a literal sense to someone's home rink (where one really would be accustomed to the facility, staff, etc.).
Instead, just the figurative sense of skating in one's home country in front of many spectators who share one's nationality.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Purely a guess here but maybe ankles? I've seen skaters tape their ankles before putting their foot in the boot to prevent blisters or lace bite. I've also seen people tape the boot around the ankles after putting their foot in for added security. I think this would hinder some edge and turn feel on the ice but in terms of jumping or even spins I could see this benefitting a skater. I must admit I've never seen duct tape used and instead its usually an ace wrap or "clear" hockey tape.

If you remember in 2012 Yulia injured her ankle and was having boot issues. There are several articles from that period that I'm searching out where she says her mom literally taped the skates to her legs before practice and that it took over a half hour on occasion.

More of a shot in the dark but this may shed a little light.

Good afternoon, Eteri, I wanted to congratulate you on the successful start of the season. I hope, despite a silver medal at Cup of China, you see it as successful too.
I see it as... very complicated. Successful is when everything is going well and easy, but when things are so complicated... Actually at the moment we are discussing the option of Julia withdrawing from this event. Just before we left for Paris, during the warm up, she twisted her right ankle. We didn't skate after that, and today during the practice she was in pain so we decided not to hurt the leg even more; Julia just practiced some spins, did some strokes on the ice and left. It takes 2-3 days to understand how badly an ankle is hurt, sometimes it's not a serious injury, and sometimes it gets worse and worse. Today she'll have medical treatment, we will do everything in our hands to help. If we "tape" her leg (with kinesio taping), we will need to adjust it to the boot, so that she will still feel comfortable and her foot won't swell. Tomorrow we'll come to the practice and see, maybe it'll be better. I really hope it will.

Source:http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2012tutberidze

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Purely a guess here but maybe ankles? I've seen skaters tape their ankles before putting their foot in the boot to prevent blisters or lace bite. I've also seen people tape the boot around the ankles after putting their foot in for added security. I think this would hinder some edge and turn feel on the ice but in terms of jumping or even spins I could see this benefitting a skater. I must admit I've never seen duct tape used and instead its usually an ace wrap or "clear" hockey tape.

If you remember in 2012 Yulia injured her ankle and was having boot issues. There are several articles from that period that I'm searching out where she says her mom literally taped the skates to her legs before practice and that it took over a half hour on occasion.

More of a shot in the dark but this may shed a little light.

Source:http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2012tutberidze

Thank you very much, SS. :bow:
I was familiar with the concept of taping one's ankles -- but not with taping the boot around the ankle. Also did not know about taping Yulia's skates to her legs. :eek:

Your answer satisfies my curiosity :), so pls don't spend time for my sake on additional research. Thx again.

BusyMom

Medalist
Thank you very much, SS. :bow:
I was familiar with the concept of taping one's ankles -- but not with taping the boot around the ankle. Also did not know about taping Yulia's skates to her legs. :eek:

Your answer satisfies my curiosity :), so pls don't spend time for my sake on additional research. Thx again.
Actually skaters tape their boots usually to help hold the broken boots. Sometimes the boots start to break right before the competition. No time to break-in the new pairs. My daughter has the same emergency at the moment and the competition is in 2 weeks. The new boots are too stiff at the moment.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Actually skaters tape their boots usually to help hold the broken boots. Sometimes the boots start to break right before the competition. No time to break-in the new pairs. My daughter has the same emergency at the moment and the competition is in 2 weeks. The new boots are too stiff at the moment.

Thx, BusyMom. Good luck to your daughter at her competition. :yay:

usethis2

Medalist
Best wishes for your daughter from me as well, BusyMom. You and her, and the audience will have a magical moment. :points:

BusyMom

Medalist
Best wishes for your daughter from me as well, BusyMom. You and her, and the audience will have a magical moment. :points:
Thank you so much usethis2. My daughter surely will have a good time. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I hate competitions. Official practice, morning practice, make-up, hair-do... Anyway, as long as she enjoy skating, I'll cope with my issues.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you so much usethis2. My daughter surely will have a good time. Me, on the other hand, not so much. I hate competitions. Official practice, morning practice, make-up, hair-do... Anyway, as long as she enjoy skating, I'll cope with my issues.

Good for your daughter and good for you! Your post made me smile b/c it reminded me of the hours my mom spent making clothes for my Barbie doll. She used to say that she'd rather make a dozen dresses for me than one for Barbie because everything was so tiny. It was years before I understood how much patience it took to work w/ those little bits of fabric -- and the love that gave her the patience.

It may take a while, but one of these years you're going to start getting roses on Mothers' Day (and probably many other occasions, too) when your daughter starts to realize the time & effort it took to get her ready for those competitions.

If she continues skating, I hope we get to see her on TV one of these days. But whatever the future holds, here's wishing you both the very best! :clap:

BusyMom

Medalist
Good for your daughter and good for you! Your post made me smile b/c it reminded me of the hours my mom spent making clothes for my Barbie doll. She used to say that she'd rather make a dozen dresses for me than one for Barbie because everything was so tiny. It was years before I understood how much patience it took to work w/ those little bits of fabric -- and the love that gave her the patience.

It may take a while, but one of these years you're going to start getting roses on Mothers' Day (and probably many other occasions, too) when your daughter starts to realize the time & effort it took to get her ready for those competitions.

If she continues skating, I hope we get to see her on TV one of these days. But whatever the future holds, here's wishing you both the very best! :clap:
You're so sweet. Your mom's story make me cry. Make me think of the other skater's mom with 4 daughters. I need to give her a hug next time I see her.

usethis2

Medalist
I have another stupid question: What is the point of doing jump sequences? Is there a benefit for a jump sequence under COP? Doesn't it take up the allowance boxes?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have another stupid question: What is the point of doing jump sequences? Is there a benefit for a jump sequence under COP? Doesn't it take up the allowance boxes?

A senior lady (for example) is allowed to do 7 jump passes in her free skate. Three of those jump passes may be either combinations or sequences. It's allowed for 1 of those jump passes to have 3 jumps in it; the other jump combos can only have 2 jumps, and jump sequences only get credit for the 2 hardest jumps. One of the jumps must be an axel of some sort.

So the maximum total number of jumps a senior lady can get points for in her freeskate is 11 -- one 3-jump combination, two 2-jump combos or sequences, four solo jumps.

How she fills those slots to maximize her point value will depend on what her skills are.

If she can do all the different kinds of triples except triple axel, but she can't do any triple-triple combinations (at least, not without the second jump getting downgraded), then she may be better off doing 7 triples plus a double axel, with 2 of those difficult jumps in a sequence linked by hops (or by a step forward if the last jump is double axel). Otherwise, she can only do six triple jumps and a double axel, with double jumps on the end of the combinations.

Even though sequences only get 80% of their base value, still, something like 3S+3T+Seq is worth more in base value than 3S+2T.

But the skater also has to consider what kind of GOE she's likely to earn, and which jumps or combos/sequences she can afford to put in the second half of the program to earn the distribution bonus.

It's an option that can be valuable for some skill sets and not so useful for skaters who can do harder combinations, or triple axels.

usethis2

Medalist
Thank you, gkelly. That explains perfectly what I wanted to know. One more thing - a kind of jump used in sequence can be used one more time without breaking the jayak rule, just as it's used in a combo? I think that's correct, I just want to make sure.

gkelly

Record Breaker
a kind of jump used in sequence can be used one more time without breaking the jayak rule, just as it's used in a combo?

If the same triple or quadruple jump is performed twice in a free program, it must be in combination or in sequence at least one of those times.

tripletwizzle

Rinkside

Thanks!

Question for Russian/Polish speakers. Is there any linguistic connection between the last names of Tara Lipinski and Julia Lipnitskaia?

CarneAsada

Medalist
Question for Russian/Polish speakers. Is there any linguistic connection between the last names of Tara Lipinski and Julia Lipnitskaia?
"Polish (Lipinski) and Jewish (from Poland): habitational name for someone from Lipno, Lipin, Lipiny, or Lipino, or other places named with Polish lipa ‘lime tree’. Jewish (from Belarus): habitational name for someone from a place called Lipinki, now in Belarus."

Couldn't find anything in English for Lipnitskaya. :biggrin:

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
I have a lot of stupid questions :laugh: Here's one: in the component description for Skating skills, the first criterion is "balance, rhythmic knee action, and precision of foot placement"

My question is, are they talking about crossovers (the next criterion talks speciically about generating speed using rhythm) or are they talking about any kind of skating steps, turns, etc?? Also, does skating skills refer specifically to everything done that involves the use of the blade? Obviously the criteria talks about things that are necessarily related like balance and footplacement, but the essence of this component is bladework, yes or no?