Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 128 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

My partner to me about Rika: "will she get extra points for doing Riverdance?"

Me: "Well, sort of. The program component scores will probably go up because she is preforming so well."

Him: "Is that like the new artistic mark?"

Me: "Yeah but it's supposed to be kind of different. There are 5 categories, and specific things in each category the judges can look for to award more points."

Him (without irony): "Wait, so is one of the things they look for 'skates to Riverdance?'"

I should get him to come to this thread...

Skates to Riverdance = +1

Skates to Carmen or Swan Lake = +2.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since GOE is NOT required to be negative anymore except for 3(z) + combo in the SP have they removed corridor judging evaluations by the ISU so judges are able to feel free to use GOE at their discretion?

Last edited:
Since GOE is NOT required to be negative anymore except for 3(z) + combo in the SP have they removed corridor judging evaluations by the ISU so judges are able to feel free to use GOE at their discretion?

I believe that there were no changes to the judgies' evaluation criteria this time around. I also do not think that the "corridor" has ever had much of a dampening effect on judges' freedom. If you read the criteria, it is virtually impossible for a judge to land outside the corridor in a consistent enough fashion to trigger a review. There are a few such cases per year, but I believe that almost all of them are at the lower levels of judging.

Basically, you can do pretty much what you want and never fear the "corridor." (IMHO.)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Several questions!

1) When do skaters get their ISU bios? Do they have to be juniors or can they be advanced novices participating in ISU competitions?
2) How do I create tables for fan fest threads? I'm sure this isn't the place to post this question, but not sure where else to post it. I thought I saw something about how to do that awhile back but I can't find it now. :scratch2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Canada....:cheer2: It's question time again. By now, I'm sure you all know about my other favorite sport which is Tennis. So, I'm watching Drake's "Hot Line Bling" Video and if you follow Tennis, you know there were rumors that Drake and Serena Williams were dating. Drake has a very cool deep voice when he sings and as a singer myself, I wanted to know everything.

So, I look online for Drake/Serena interviews. I get nothing. Then, I look up Drake/US Open. Up pops an interview with Drake. I was shocked to hear him speak because he sounds ( Don't Get Offended ) Like Me. A dorky singer who has never seen anything that could be considered a "street life" Then he says he's from Toronto Canada!!!!! I was like.......WHAT!!!!!!

So Canadians, is Drake Popular in Canada?

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Oh Canada....:cheer2: It's question time again. By now, I'm sure you all know about my other favorite sport which is Tennis. So, I'm watching Blake's "Hot Line Bling" Video and if you follow Tennis, you know there were rumors that Drake and Serena Williams were dating. Drake has very cool deep voice when sings and as a singer myself, I wanted to know everything.

So, I look online for Drake/Serena interviews. I get nothing. Then, I look up Drake/US Open. Up pops an interview with Blake. I was shocked to hear him speak because he sounds ( Don't Get Offended ) Like Me. A dorky singer who has never seen anything that could be considered a "street life" Then he says he's from Toronto Canada!!!!! I was like.......WHAT!!!!!!

So Canadians, is Drake Popular in Canada?

Yepp super popular, I don't know anyone who doesn't like him and everything he does makes the news. A lot of students at my university wear his OVO shirt. I know where he's from in Toronto and I know people who went to the same high school as him and no he's not really "street." Known for being mostly a nice guy

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yepp super popular, I don't know anyone who doesn't like him and everything he does makes the news. A lot of students at my university wear his OVO shirt. I know where he's from in Toronto and I know people who went to the same high school as him and no he's not really "street." Known for being mostly a nice guy

Thank you so much for that response. I love it when people I admire are also really nice people. I hope he stays the way he is and doesn't let the "Business" effect him. I didn't know much about Debbi Thomas but it sure seems like she's taken a hard fall. However, I did spend 3 months hanging out with Kim Richards from the RHOBH and she was coolest thing on wheels. She's the last person I would have seen going to Re-hab. I hope she gets her life together. Thanks again Krunchii! :cool2:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Several questions!

1) When do skaters get their ISU bios? Do they have to be juniors or can they be advanced novices participating in ISU competitions?
2) How do I create tables for fan fest threads? I'm sure this isn't the place to post this question, but not sure where else to post it. I thought I saw something about how to do that awhile back but I can't find it now. :scratch2:

1) That is something I have often wondered too!

It seems to be that they only get an ISU Bio when they compete in their first ISU-run competition. So, that would be:

• Junior Grand Prix
  • Junior Worlds
  • Senior Grand Prix
  • Europeans
  • Four Continents
  • Worlds

You don't seem to get one if you are competing in Senior B's, be they Challenger Events or regular Senior B's.

2) Make the tables out in Word, and then paste them into your post using the "What You See Is What You Get" mode (the button on the top left corner of the comment toolbars. It looks like this: [SUP]A[/SUP]/A)

And to make it even easier, I don't mind if you copy one of my tables into Word in the first place to use as a template.

If you want any more advice, send me a PM. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it possible to block an entire thread from "What's New/Activity" feed? Is my only option to just start blocking everyone who is posting in it?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Blocking the OP just didn't do the trick unfortunately.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Blocking the OP just didn't do the trick unfortunately.

That's too bad. I was able to use the 'block element' option on my ad-blocker to remove it so I don't have to see it every time I load the board, that helps alleviate it some...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is it possible to block an entire thread from "What's New/Activity" feed? Is my only option to just start blocking everyone who is posting in it?

Wow!!! :jaw: I never even knew that there was a page listing all the latest posts across the forum!!!

(I saw the "What's New" button, but assumed it was for the articles on the GS website rather than being related to the GS forum)

So, thank you for asking the question and, in the process, enlightening me!!! :cheer: :clap: :party2: :points:

Personally, I don't like the idea of blocking people. Because, although you mightn't like what they are normally saying, you never know when they might come out with something that is actually informative.

Plus, it can be very hurtful for the other person if they somehow realise that you have blocked them. I know of one person that has blocked me on Facebook (I can't see her profile when I'm signed in, but I can when I'm signed out), and I was really hurt. And even though it happened a good few years ago, I am still hurt that she blocked me...

Time from a stupid question from me.

I just saw a post pop up on my Facebook news feed that has left me intrigued.

The poster (who I don't know) has uploaded a whole pile of photos (presumably from the Cup of China) of herself with Ice Dancer Zhang YiYi and Pairs Skater Zhang Dan.

And it started me wondering: are YiYi and Dan related?

Of course, I realise Zhang is a VERY common name. For goodness sake, Dan and her skating partner Hao have the same surname, but are not related! And they are even from the same town!

According to their ISU Bios, Dan and Hao are from Harbin, whereas YiYi is from Beijing. Roughly 750 miles (1,200km) is a large distance (for a European comparison, that is around the same distance as there is between 2 of this week's competitions, the Grand Prix in Bordeaux and the Senior B in Merano). But it is not unknown for families to be spread out these sorts of distances.

Improbable, but not impossible.

So, does anybody know?

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
1) That is something I have often wondered too!

It seems to be that they only get an ISU Bio when they compete in their first ISU-run competition. So, that would be:

• Junior Grand Prix
  • Junior Worlds
  • Senior Grand Prix
  • Europeans
  • Four Continents
  • Worlds

You don't seem to get one if you are competing in Senior B's, be they Challenger Events or regular Senior B's. ...

CL_fan, a counter-example -- of sorts ;) -- for you:

Sean Rabbitt's one and only international comp has been the 2015 Skate Canada Autumn Classic (non-Challenger), where he won the bronze :).

And Sean does have a bare-bones ISU bio.

But ... Sean's bio is rather invisible on the ISU site.
He is not listed on the ISU index page for men's bios.
Another example is that Sean's name appears on the ISU Season's World Ranking list, but without a hyperlink to his ISU bio. At the moment, he has 203 ranking points and is tied for #64 on the SWR list.

So it is possible for a skater to get an ISU bio, but for it to be well-hidden.

Sam-S, I too have wished for the ability to block an entire thread :yes:.

I suggest that you post your question in the Forum Requests thread, where gsk8 has responded to a lot of questions -- even if the response is No, such-and-such is not possible.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CL_fan, a counter-example -- of sorts ;) -- for you:

Sean Rabbitt's one and only international comp has been the 2015 Skate Canada Autumn Classic (non-Challenger), where he won the bronze :).

And Sean does have a bare-bones ISU bio.

But ... Sean's bio is rather invisible on the ISU site.
He is not listed on the ISU index page for men's bios.
Another example is that Sean's name appears on the ISU Season's World Ranking list, but without a hyperlink to his ISU bio. At the moment, he has 203 ranking points and is tied for #64 on the SWR list.

So it is possible for a skater to get an ISU bio, but for it to be well-hidden.

Very interesting! I wonder if this is a new thing the ISU are doing this year for the Challenger Series, or if it is just something that I just haven't noticed happening in previous seasons.

That is very curious that Sean has a Bio but it is not linked to in the World Standings and World Rankings pages. I always thought that these pages were kept VERY up to date with links to Bios, by the very fact that the points and positions are constantly getting updated.

As for the ISU Bio index pages, I gave up on them pages years ago, because the lists hardly ever seem to get updated. I just search for Bios on Google.

Which brings us back to something we were griping about a year or 2 ago. The ISU really needs to get their act together and transform the ISU Results site into a fully searchable database.

But, that is another topic altogether...

Anyway, thank you again for pointing those things out. They will be very useful to keep in mind.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Very interesting! I wonder if this is a new thing the ISU are doing this year for the Challenger Series, or if it is just something that I just haven't noticed happening in previous seasons.

That is very curious that Sean has a Bio but it is not linked to in the World Standings and World Rankings pages. I always thought that these pages were kept VERY up to date with links to Bios, by the very fact that the points and positions are constantly getting updated.

As for the ISU Bio index pages, I gave up on them pages years ago, because the lists hardly ever seem to get updated. I just search for Bios on Google. ...

Regarding the example of Sean Rabbitt: the 2015 Autumn Classic was not a Challenger event.

But switching to an example that does involve Challenger results:

The new dance couple Thomas/Eaton have results only from senior internationals (Challenger and non-Challenger).
They do have an ISU bio page (with incomplete information re Thomas).
And the link to the Thomas/Eaton bio page does show up both on the ISU index page and in the ISU Season's World Ranking (at the moment they are #10 with 525 ranking points).

But the hyperlink to their bio was not on an ISU 2015 US Classic results page (see link below). (They already had competed at the 2015 Lake Placid International too.)
So not clear what makes the difference btwn a bio being "invisible" and then becoming more visible.
The hyperlink did show up by the time of 2015 Ice Challenge results.

britebells

Rinkside
I have heard a lot of talk lately about how a skater needs to "set up" his/her jumps... but in the past I have also heard that it's not good to "forecast" your jumps.

Can someone explain the difference?

Thanks. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Regarding the example of Sean Rabbitt: the 2015 Autumn Classic was not a Challenger event.

That's the second time in as many weeks that I made that mistake of which of the North American Senior B's was a Challenger event and which was not! :hopelessness: :dumb:

(And the second time in as many weeks that you have had to correct me! :slink: )

I don't know. It must somehow be engrained on my brain the wrong way round!

You know, next time I write about either them, I will have to have the Season Calendar (ISU Communication 1940) sitting in front of me so that I see which of them has the words "Challenger Series" written on them!

Sorry for making the same mistake again.

Anyway, back to what we were discussing, and the fact that most Entries/Results Pages for Senior B's do not include links to ISU Bios, even when the skaters have had ISU Bios for years, is something that I do find annoying.

OK, so the national federations/skating clubs that run the Senior B's do not have anything like the same resources behind them as the competitions that are run by the ISU. But, let's face it, it is not very difficult (or time consuming, or expensive) to turn a couple of words on each line of a table into a hyperlink.

But, it does make the world of difference in making the page a lot more user-friendly.

The example you used for Thomas/Eaton does tie in with my theory. That you only get an ISU Bio at your first ISU event, and that they are now including Challenger events too.

Which is making me wonder: Was Sean Rabbit ever entered for, say, a Junior GP before, but had to withdraw at the last minute?

I know this is not very scientific, but I looked at the Bios numbered either side of his, and this is what I got:

isufs00013309: Sara AGHAI, FIN / Qwynn DALMER, CAN
isufs00013310: Blank Page
isufs00013311: Blank Page
isufs00013312: Sarah CLARKE, CAN / Steven CLARKE, CAN
isufs00013313: Christopher CALUZA, PHI
isufs00013314: Sean RABBITT, USA
isufs00013315: Llyod TING, USA
isufs00013316: Kelsey TRAUNERO, USA
isufs00013317: Morgan BELL, USA
isufs00013318: Katy Jo WEST, USA
isufs00013319: Raina NARITA, USA
isufs00013320: Becky BERESWILL, USA / Trevor YOUNG, USA

The skater numbered directly before Sean, Christopher Caluza, has been on our radars for a long time. He made his international debut in the 2011/12 season.

The other name that I recognised, Becky Bereswill, is the 2008 Junior GP Ladies Champion. But, this Bio is for her Pairs career, which I believe began in the 2010/11 season.

Given that a lot of these bios were last updated on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2011, I think that indicates that Sean did have a prior international appearance scheduled for the 2011/12 season, but it never materialised.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
Wow!!! :jaw: I never even knew that there was a page listing all the latest posts across the forum!!!

(I saw the "What's New" button, but assumed it was for the articles on the GS website rather than being related to the GS forum)

So, thank you for asking the question and, in the process, enlightening me!!! :cheer: :clap: :party2: :points:

Personally, I don't like the idea of blocking people. Because, although you mightn't like what they are normally saying, you never know when they might come out with something that is actually informative.

Plus, it can be very hurtful for the other person if they somehow realise that you have blocked them. I know of one person that has blocked me on Facebook (I can't see her profile when I'm signed in, but I can when I'm signed out), and I was really hurt. And even though it happened a good few years ago, I am still hurt that she blocked me...

Time from a stupid question from me.

I just saw a post pop up on my Facebook news feed that has left me intrigued.

The poster (who I don't know) has uploaded a whole pile of photos (presumably from the Cup of China) of herself with Ice Dancer Zhang YiYi and Pairs Skater Zhang Dan.

And it started me wondering: are YiYi and Dan related?

Of course, I realise Zhang is a VERY common name. For goodness sake, Dan and her skating partner Hao have the same surname, but are not related! And they are even from the same town!

According to their ISU Bios, Dan and Hao are from Harbin, whereas YiYi is from Beijing. Roughly 750 miles (1,200km) is a large distance (for a European comparison, that is around the same distance as there is between 2 of this week's competitions, the Grand Prix in Bordeaux and the Senior B in Merano). But it is not unknown for families to be spread out these sorts of distances.

Improbable, but not impossible.

So, does anybody know?

CaroLiza_fan

In theory, yes; in reality, no.

There are 20m people in Beijing. Zhang is one of the largest family names in China, rough 7%. Plus there are multiple origins for "Zhang" as the family name. The possibility that Zhang/Zhang is related is next to none.

Last edited: