Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 134 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

mrrice

Record Breaker
Question about Gran Prix competition places. There are two in North America, two in Asia and two in Europe. So, one in Canada and one in USA - every time in different cities, am I right? One in Japan and one in China. And one in France and one in Russia. Why are the European GP's always in France and in Russia? As a Finn a would be very happy if there were a GP in Finland. Finlandia Trophy is nowadays part of the CS but why it couldn't be a GP competition? It's very famous competition in Finland, there are lots of audience and the organisation works professionally.

And if not in Finland, why not somewhere else? Italy? Sweden? Germany?

This is an Excellent question. As most of you know, I was in Finland in 1999 when Maria Butryskaya Won Her World Championship. There are a ton of things to do in Hesinki. We sang at a place called Linnanmaki. It was an Amusement Park and we had a great time. There are great Cafe's and delicious food everywhere. A huge selling factor IMO, was that almost everyone in Finland spoke English. Unlike the US, where very few natives speak another language. I remember hearing English, French, and Russian when I was in Finland.

This doesn't really matter. However, the people in Finland are Gorgeous!!!

altuixde

On the Ice
Does anyone know why this year's Rostelecom Cup is at the Luzhniki Small Sports Arena instead of the Megasport Arena?

Edit: I've just read that it's been held at Luzhniki for a few years now. Still don't know why, though.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
The other day, the B.ESP guys said "Gracie is running out of time at 20 years old" Can you imagine being in a career where that statement is true. That's why I always want skaters to do well and be happy. Their career's are over in a flash and we all see what's happened to Smart and Talented Debbie Thomas.

To be honest I think that was just a poor observation by the commentators. Gracie has skated 2 personal bests this season already and most of her mistakes are coming from mental blocks.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey You Guys, I always thought Max Arron was from Colorado but, I was just looking at his Bio and it says that he's from Arizona. So, did he ever hang out with Douglas Razzano? You know why I have to ask that question..................What is up with the Men from Arizona and their EYEBROWS!! I love both skaters but dang......:laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Max played hockey for the Junior Coyotes AAA team even.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I think you're right at least about the hockey. I've never seen Max skate live but, he seems fast on TV which means he's faster in person. I would love to watch Max practice. I LOVE the sound of deep edges on the ICE. That's a huge reason I love Patrick Chan. You could actually close your eyes and he's almost as exciting to listen to as he is to watch. I know that sounds weird but, it's true and very cool. :cool2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

IIRC he was also on the Team USA Under 16 Development Squad. ;) Pretty good with the stick, little Max.

I think you're right at least about the hockey. I've never seen Max skate live but, he seems fast on TV which means he's faster in person. I would love to watch Max practice. I LOVE the sound of deep edges on the ICE. That's a huge reason I love Patrick Chan. You could actually close your eyes and he's almost as exciting to listen to as he is to watch. I know that sounds weird but, it's true and very cool. :cool2:

Here's baby Max playing hockey. You can find him easily: he's the tiniest one!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hey You Guys, I always thought Max Arron was from Colorado v, I was just looking at his Bio and it says that he's from Arizona. So, did he ever hang out with Douglas Razzano? ...

Young Max's skating coach back in Arizona was Doug Ladret, who coached Razzano. (I don't know for sure whether Max and Doug overlapped during their respective times with Ladret.)

(The hockey video of little #91 has been one of my favorite Max videos of all time. Never get tired of watching his tenacity and fearlessness -- and I don't even like hockey. Thx to karne for looking up the link.)

BTW, I believe Maddie continues to represent the Coyotes FSC to this day. Max S happens to be from Arizona as well. They were friends back in Arizona, but did not form a partnership until both were training in Colorado, IIRC.

(Max A now represents the Broadmoor FSC. Max S too, IIRC.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Meant to add: figure skating is a pretty small world. I'd wager Max and Doug were, at the very least, aware of each other.

As to the eyebrow question, well, I don't know a lot about eyebrows.

creaturelover

On the Ice
Did anyone else find Sotnikova's edges during the step sequence in CoR far improved from Sochi? I found she really went into deep edges.

I found myself pretty impressed however I have not been following skating for long so wanted to see other opinions.

moriel

Record Breaker
Did anyone else find Sotnikova's edges during the step sequence in CoR far improved from Sochi? I found she really went into deep edges.

I found myself pretty impressed however I have not been following skating for long so wanted to see other opinions.

I agree she improved tons. My guess is that as she couldn't train full due to injury, she had some time to work on basics. And also up her artistry.

moriel

Record Breaker
That's too bad about sectionals. I think you're right about her parents coaching her. 13 to 16 were always difficult years for my dance students and more importantly for "their Parents." In California, the junior year of high school or 11th grade is particularly stressful. This is the year when all the college entrance exams take place and they require a lot of study time and focus. Unfortunately, skating requires the same time and discipline.

Like my other sport, Tennis. Several of the elite level young players are home schooled. When I was young, they had "Tutor's" on set but, they were not IMO, very helpful. Anyone who actually planned on going to college would hire a tutor who came to their home. Note: Most of the people I danced and sang with professionally did NOT go to college. However, "Theater" has a much longer shelf life. You're not considered over the hill when turn 30 like you are in skating.

The other day, the B.ESP guys said "Gracie is running out of time at 20 years old" Can you imagine being in a career where that statement is true. That's why I always want skaters to do well and be happy. Their career's are over in a flash and we all see what's happened to Smart and Talented Debbie Thomas.

On the other hand... That may be positive, as their careers end early enough to allow them to pursue something else.
The worst thing ever imho is to have to retire in mid 30s or something... A bit too late to get a new profession, start sudying etc (you would graduate at what, 40, and then go look for a job and well, you need experience, else you don't get paid so well, and you most likely have a family to keep at this point). Retiring at early 20s have advantages.

creaturelover

On the Ice
I agree she improved tons. My guess is that as she couldn't train full due to injury, she had some time to work on basics. And also up her artistry.

I love her program! Also glad to see agreements; I was worried I was just kidding myself since I am so new following skating

tulosai

Record Breaker
On the other hand... That may be positive, as their careers end early enough to allow them to pursue something else.
The worst thing ever imho is to have to retire in mid 30s or something... A bit too late to get a new profession, start sudying etc (you would graduate at what, 40, and then go look for a job and well, you need experience, else you don't get paid so well, and you most likely have a family to keep at this point). Retiring at early 20s have advantages.

Meh in today's day and age I think this is less true than you think... you won't get the 'normal' college experience, but in law school at least or almost half my class was over 30, and several were in their late 30's-mid 50's. People also often switch careers nowadays, breaking into a 'new' field in your 30's or 40's isn't as scary as it used to be, and in fact my mom just switched career tracks entirely and she's very close to 60. Of course that depends on transferable skills to some degree, but skating does give you some of those if you know how to spin it right.

moriel

Record Breaker
Meh in today's day and age I think this is less true than you think... you won't get the 'normal' college experience, but in law school at least or almost half my class was over 30, and several were in their late 30's-mid 50's. People also often switch careers nowadays, breaking into a 'new' field in your 30's or 40's isn't as scary as it used to be, and in fact my mom just switched career tracks entirely and she's very close to 60. Of course that depends on transferable skills to some degree, but skating does give you some of those if you know how to spin it right.

Oh, mostly mean it is way easier in early 20s than later on =)
I totally agree with you it is doable ^^

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh, mostly mean it is way easier in early 20s than later on =)
I totally agree with you it is doable ^^

I also agree in most cases it's easier when you're younger, I suppose, so we don't really disagree then :)

moriel

Record Breaker
I also agree in most cases it's easier when you're younger, I suppose, so we don't really disagree then :)

Well, also i guess the profession matters too... Like its one thing if you wanna become a coach, and another, if you want to be a doctor =D