Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
Evidently, he is visiting her at her beach home in S.C, but the pic does look like a more than two friends kind of pose. Is he still living with Vera Wang? Inquiring minds want to know.:big grin:

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...sland-lots-of-social-media-exposure-this-week

He never lived with Vera, that was made up by the media.

This is his place. instagram.com/p/k2S7JmLQS7/

He also discussed this on the Katie Couric show back in fall of 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcaiz8VFNMc

As far as Tara and Evan, I doubt it because he tends to take pictures like this often with his female friends. And she was being cozy with Brandon McMillian the "lucky dog" guy from CBS. instagram.com/p/qDhA9-MohD/
instagram.com/p/pxj-8uMohL/

But I'm not going to speculate.

catchie

On the Ice
Is it confirmed that 15/16 Short Dance is Ravensburger Waltz or these are just rumours? I heard about that but can't find a confirmation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
learning how to score things here...

looking at sochi ladies lp scorecard
http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

why are there 'x's next to some of the base value points? also, why does 2A = 3.63bv when my notes say 3.3? what is the info column used for?

aside from these immediate questions, any links which may help me on my larger task of understanding scoring would be appreciated.

:)

Per the legend at the bottom of the protocols:

x Credit for highlight distribution, base value multiplied by 1.1

So if I am not mistaken, an "x" signifies that the element was performed in the second half of the program, and earned 1.1 x the BV.

1.1 x 3.3 = 3.63​

The info column is used for:
e Take-off edge not correct or clean
< Under-rotated jump
<< Downgraded jump​

Krunchii

Record Breaker
learning how to score things here...

looking at sochi ladies lp scorecard
http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

why are there 'x's next to some of the base value points? also, why does 2A = 3.63bv when my notes say 3.3? what is the info column used for?

aside from these immediate questions, any links which may help me on my larger task of understanding scoring would be appreciated.

:)
x next to the BV means that it is in the 2nd half of the program so the base value is multiplied by 1.1, there's a 10% bonus due to fatigue, some skaters use this to their advantage and pack their jumps in the second half for those extra points (notably Yuzuru Hanyu)

Here's an ISU video series that helped me understand skating skills (a program component) a lot better many years ago, I still find it useful today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu1TFFHNZ7o&list=PL723B645BA5A421EF

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is it confirmed that 15/16 Short Dance is Ravensburger Waltz or these are just rumours? I heard about that but can't find a confirmation.

The ISU website is partially back up, so now I can quote from Page 6 of the ISU Communication:

The Ice Dance Technical Committee adopted that, for season 2015/16, among the specific Required Elements to be included into composition of the Short Dance, there will be:

Senior:
Pattern Dance Element(s) taken from Pattern Dance Ravensburger Waltz

Junior:
Pattern Dance Elements taken from Pattern Dance Starlight Waltz

The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Waltz Rhythm, in the style of the Waltz. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance:
 Senior: Ravensburger Waltz, i.e. 66 measures of 3 beats per minute or 198 beats per minute,
 Junior: Starlight Waltz, i.e. 58 measures of 3 beats or 174 beats per minute,​
plus or minus 2 beats per minute.

http://static-isu.labelcom.ch/media/139539/1875-id-post-congress-2014.pdf (Jun 24)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Ok, I'm back for a second question :biggrin:

Why is it that the component factor for women's sp & fs are 0.80 & 1.60, but the men's are 1.00 & 2.00?

jace93

On the Ice
Ok, I'm back for a second question :biggrin:

Why is it that the component factor for women's sp & fs are 0.80 & 1.60, but the men's are 1.00 & 2.00?

I think that's because men's technical score are usually way higher than for women... this way the pcs have more or less the same impact on the final score, while if it was the same it would have way too much influences in the ladies' event or way too little in the men's event

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Component factoring
The panel's points for each Program Component are multiplied by a factor depending on the event. For singles and pair skating, the factor is uniform for all components:

Short program
Men 1.0
Ladies 0.8

Freeskate
Men 2.0
Ladies. 1.6

If I'm reading this correct the men have a 20% advantage in the Sp and a 40% in the final PCS score due to factoring.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Component factoring
The panel's points for each Program Component are multiplied by a factor depending on the event. For singles and pair skating, the factor is uniform for all components:

Short program Free skating
Men 1.0 2.0
Ladies 0.8 1.6

If I'm reading this correct the men have a 20% advantage in the Sp and a 40% in the final PCS score due to factoring.

Yes that's how I was reading it too.

I think that's because men's technical score are usually way higher than for women... this way the pcs have more or less the same impact on the final score, while if it was the same it would have way too much influences in the ladies' event or way too little in the men's event

I guess I can wrap my head around that, but..... the men do perform more difficult elements in their programs compared to women. They don't have a more superior range of choreo, interpretation, etc. yet they get higher points for it :rolleye:

I can understand that's to balance out the scores, but if men do in fact focus more heavily on the TES, then why not reflect that in the breakdown of their scores? (Personally, I would prefer more focus on artistry development than extensive jump layouts in men's skating, but if that's how their programs are.... :eek:hwell:)

OR, if balance is such a concern, instead of raising men's component factor, why not lower their BVs? (haha okay, I admit that would never happen :biggrin: just thinking)

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that a man and woman could both deliver the same quality choreo, ss, etc., but he'd be getting more points than her no matter what :scowl:

jace93

On the Ice
Yes that's how I was reading it too.

I guess I can wrap my head around that, but..... the men do perform more difficult elements in their programs compared to women. They don't have a more superior range of choreo, interpretation, etc. yet they get higher points for it :rolleye:

I can understand that's to balance out the scores, but if men do in fact focus more heavily on the TES, then why not reflect that in the breakdown of their scores? (Personally, I would prefer more focus on artistry development than extensive jump layouts in men's skating, but if that's how their programs are.... :eek:hwell:)

OR, if balance is such a concern, instead of raising men's component factor, why not lower their BVs? (haha okay, I admit that would never happen :biggrin: just thinking)

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that a man and woman could both deliver the same quality choreo, ss, etc., but he'd be getting more points than her no matter what :scowl:

that's why exist protocols... there you can see the actual vote that the judges have given to the performance... also it's not as simple as men focus more heavily on tes, men simply can land more difficult jumps: while 3a are incredibly difficult for ladies and quadruple nearly impossible, for mens a 3a is like a basic element and quad are equivalent to a difficul 3-3 for a woman...

This is the example that I think of to understand the PCSs factoring. Lets's say you are going for the world championship and you get straight 9.0's across the board for your program component scores. That's 9 x 5 = 45 PCS, unfactored. Here are the total TES and factored PCSs that you are aiming at:

Men's SP: TES = 45; PCS = 45x1 = 45; Total segment score = 45+45 = 90.
Men's LP: TES = 90; PSC = 45x2 = 90; Total segment score = 90+90 = 180.

Grand Total: 90+180 = 270. You win!

Ladies SP: TES = 36; PCS = 45x.8 = 36; Total segment score = 36+36 = 72.
Ladies LP: TES = 72; PCS = 45x1.6 = 72; Total segment score = 72+72 = 144.

Grand total = 72+144 = 216. You win!

Something like that. :) Actually, the assumption is that men's TES scores will be, on the average, 25% higher than ladies' in both the short program and the long.

1.00/.80 = 1.25
2.00/1.60 = 1.25

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
that's why exist protocols... there you can see the actual vote that the judges have given to the performance... also it's not as simple as men focus more heavily on tes, men simply can land more difficult jumps: while 3a are incredibly difficult for ladies and quadruple nearly impossible, for mens a 3a is like a basic element and quad are equivalent to a difficul 3-3 for a woman...

This is the example that I think of to understand the PCSs factoring. Lets's say you are going for the world championship and you get straight 9.0's across the board for your program component scores. That's 9 x 5 = 45 PCS, unfactored. Here are the total TES and factored PCSs that you are aiming at:

Men's SP: TES = 45; PCS = 45x1 = 45; Total segment score = 45+45 = 90.
Men's LP: TES = 90; PSC = 45x2 = 90; Total segment score = 90+90 = 180.

Grand Total: 90+180 = 270. You win!

Ladies SP: TES = 36; PCS = 45x.8 = 36; Total segment score = 36+36 = 72.
Ladies LP: TES = 72; PCS = 45x1.6 = 72; Total segment score = 72+72 = 144.

Grand total = 72+144 = 216. You win!

Thank you jace93 & mathman for trying to help me with this. Obviously I'm not completely knowledgeable of the logic behind the factoring, otherwise I wouldn't be asking about it in the stupid questions thread. I can comprehend the gist of the system though.

I understand that the basic motive for the component factor is to roughly equate it to the average TES by discipline. But I am not quite sure how to properly explain the displeasure I still have towards this mathematical system..

I had come up with three different example scenarios to try and convey my disgruntled feelings towards this, but since I am not too gifted with words they all seemed unfortunately ransacked. :eek:hwell: