Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New stupid questions:
Is "Senior B" an official ISU term?
And if so, what is the official definition?
I have a general understanding of how the term is commonly used. Am wondering about the ISU's official language for what it means. Thanks.​

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll piggy back that last question somewhat.

Can anyone give me info on the Kinoshita Group Cup Japan Open 2014, Saitama (Oct.4, 2014).

Is it FS only? No SP!
Is there a webpage?..English preferred :)

I read that Yulia plans on skating this event but haven't seen any info anywhere.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Can anyone give me info on the Kinoshita Group Cup Japan Open 2014, Saitama (Oct.4, 2014).

Is it FS only? No SP!
Is there a webpage?..English preferred :)

I read that Yulia plans on skating this event but haven't seen any info anywhere.

FS only, according to the ISU page.

Website (with scant content at this point):

DexterK

On the Ice
From what I understand, for a senior ladies competitor's free skate there can be no more than 7 jumping passes, second triple jump must be in combination, and of the three combinations- two may be two jump combinations and the third can be a three jump combination.

(Also, pretend this ladies competitor does not compete triple Axel.)

Is this an acceptable planned program?

3Lz+3Toe
3Fl+3Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Sal
3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
2Ax

Does this work? Or is there a rule, or rules, I am not understanding?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From what I understand, for a senior ladies competitor's free skate there can be no more than 7 jumping passes, second triple jump must be in combination, and of the three combinations- two may be two jump combinations and the third can be a three jump combination.

(Also, pretend this ladies competitor does not compete triple Axel.)

Is this an acceptable planned program?

3Lz+3Toe
3Fl+3Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Sal
3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
2Ax

Does this work? Or is there a rule, or rules, I am not understanding?

Many thanks in advance.

Rules state you can only repeat two different triples. You repeat three triples in your scenario. As a result you can never have more than seven triples if you do not have a 3A.

DexterK

On the Ice
Thank you Mrs. P! You are so quick and knowledgable!

Would this be acceptable, while also attempting maximum technical difficulty/gaining maximum points?

3Lz+3Lo
3Fl+3Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Sal
2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
2Ax

pohatta

On the Ice

Would this be acceptable, while also attempting maximum technical difficulty/gaining maximum points?

3Lz+3Lo
3Fl+3Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Sal
2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
2Ax

That's still repeating three different triples and there's no 3T. Replace the other 3Lo with a 3T and you're good to go.

3Lz+3Lo
3Fl+3Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Sal
2Ax+2Lo+2Lo
2Ax

I think this layout shows (changing one of the 3Lo's to a 3T as suggested by pohata) why the combo with a connecting half-loop is such a cool alternative. Very few skaters can tack a 3Lo onto the back of anything, and even if they can it will probably be downgraded by the tech panel. But you could still do something like post 634 lite:

3Lz+3Toe
3Fl+2Lo
3Lz
3Fl
3Lo+1Lo+3Sal
2Ax
2Ax

starlight97

Final Flight
Two things I always wondered about and probably very stupid questions :eek::-
Do skaters have to make a new program every season ?? And
If a higher level skater moves somewhere else to train (like Gracie Gold from east to west coast, Yulia Lipnitskaya from Urals to Moscow,Yuna Kim from Korea to Canada..) who pays for their accommodation and flight and such? Do they have to pay themselves or does their union/federation pay?

jimeonji

Final Flight
Two things I always wondered about and probably very stupid questions :eek::-
Do skaters have to make a new program every season ?? And
If a higher level skater moves somewhere else to train (like Gracie Gold from east to west coast, Yulia Lipnitskaya from Urals to Moscow,Yuna Kim from Korea to Canada..) who pays for their accommodation and flight and such? Do they have to pay themselves or does their union/federation pay?
No, skaters don't have to get a new program every season. Lots of skaters reuse programs or bring back programs - examples include Hanyu's SP these past two seasons, Ashley Wagner bringing back her Samson and Delilah LP, etc etc.

It depends on the federation. I don't know for sure about the specific examples you gave, but when Hanyu moved from Japan to Canada I believe JSF paid for the cost and continues to pay for his coaching. However, Fernandez gets no help from the Spanish skating federation and the expenses from his training and living are paid out of his own pocket.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Do you think GP would be better structured more like auto racing or something.

All the top skaters at each GP. Points given based on what place they finish. Points leader at the end of the year is the GP champion.

Have the usual GP's only with more time added between them. (possibly reduce the number) and no need for a GP final.

And have two tours like major league and minor league. 1 and 2 or whatever. If a skater has a bad season at the 1 level then the next season they are demoted to the 2 tour. If a skater has a great year on the 2 tour then the next year they are bumped up to the 1 tour.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like GPF. The top six performers from the season going head to head. :popcorn: I like it better than most Nationals events too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have this question: is there any jump that ladies often do better than men? I mean thanks to their bone/hip structure maybe there is something could help them with advantage over men when it comes to some certain jumps.
Thank you!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I have this question: is there any jump that ladies often do better than men? I mean thanks to their bone/hip structure maybe there is something could help them with advantage over men when it comes to some certain jumps.
Thank you!

Possibly the loop? That's just from my personal experience. I could never do even a single loop reliably and all the girls who I skated with had great ones.

Amei

Record Breaker

All the top skaters at each GP. Points given based on what place they finish. Points leader at the end of the year is the GP champion.

Have the usual GP's only with more time added between them. (possibly reduce the number) and no need for a GP final.

And have two tours like major league and minor league. 1 and 2 or whatever. If a skater has a bad season at the 1 level then the next season they are demoted to the 2 tour. If a skater has a great year on the 2 tour then the next year they are bumped up to the 1 tour.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there .

But that would be adding 4 competitions for each skater, even with putting more time in between the competitions it would still be adding the length to the season - and possibly increase injuries and wearing down the skaters before the 'big' events, Nationals/Euros/Worlds.

I think this would be more exciting for the fans because youd see the top people compete against each other more and would create more rivalries. It would also clear out from the GP's skaters that really don't belong there.

That's a cool idea, and very much different from the past history of the Grand Prix. There used to be something called the North American championship, which alternated in location between the U.S. and Canada. Neither could trust the other to provide fair judging, so the championship collapsed in the 1970s and was replaced by two separate events, first Skate Canada and later Skate America. These were independently organized events where select international skaters would be invited to compete agains the homegrown champions. Later other national skating federations got in the act by sponsoring similar competitions.

When Ottavio Cinquanta became ISU president, his goal was to round up all figure skating into the ISU corral. He organized six of the most prestigious local events into an ISU Championship Series. (He couldn't use the title "Grand Prix" in the first season because of copyright concerns vis-a-vis other sports.) The idea of the Grand Prix Final was to bring the winners of each of the individual events together in a big showdown of champions. Since an individual skater might win two or more of the individual national events, it was necessary to invite some of the second place finishers as well. For instance, in the first "Championship Series" (1995-96) there were five events. Michelle Kwan won Skate America, Skate Canada and Nations Cup (Germany), Josee Chouinard won Trophee de France, and Lu Chen won NHK. The field was filled out by second and third place medalists.

To me, it would not be a bad idea to go back to that format. Forget the ISU. If any national federation wants to hold a skating contest and invite international participation, go for it. :yes:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Neither could trust the other to provide fair judging, so the championship collapsed in the 1970s and was replaced by two separate events, first Skate Canada and later Skate America.
:rofl::rofl: The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Anyway, I'm fine with the current GP format. It'll be cool if skaters could attend all GPs since it'll give international fans more chances to see them. But the logistics of doubling the number of GP competitions they attend, both in terms of time and resources... I'm afraid it'll end up a little like season rankings/who survives the wipe-out/who manages to remain uninjured... not very indicative of who was the best skater.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think the cost would be astronomical for the federations and the skaters if all the top skaters participated in the GP competitions. I like the format the way it is and I think they do a good job of deciding who will compete where.

It's not broke. let's not try to fix it -IMO.