Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Country
Russia
Alex Rus, I couldn't find a vid for the combo. He successfully did it at Liberty in practice one year, but didn't in the program. He failed on the Axel and couldn't attempt the 3S as a result. By the time of the auditions, he was not attempting it AFAIR. SoI haven't yet found a video.
Yes, I believe that he did so - strong Man with powerful jumps.
It is almost impossible, so possible rarely, like good landing of 4Lz.

starlight97

Final Flight
Is it allowed to skate with your hair loose? I don't know if it's the right word. I mean that, if you're female, you do not put it in a ponytail or bun, you just leave it "hanging down"

@jimeonji thank you for your reply earlier on :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is it allowed to skate with your hair loose? I don't know if it's the right word. I mean that, if you're female, you do not put it in a ponytail or bun, you just leave it "hanging down"

There's no rule against it. But

1) If the skater's hair is long she may find it distracting and unsafe if hair constantly whips in front of her eyes
and
2) Judges may find it distracting (including making them worry that it's unsafe, and presenting an image of sloppiness -- not being well put together), in which case they may advise the skater and coach against that choice. I don't think they would consciously give lower marks for that reason, but on an unconscious level it doesn't do the skater any good to make the judges feel uneasy or harbor other negative feelings about the skater's presentation of self.

If the hair is styled and maybe hairsprayed/gelled in such a way that it doesn't fly around and get in the eyes, then it's not a problem.

I've seen loose hair in exhibitions, where the skater doesn't have to concentrate on executing as many difficult skills as possible in 4 minutes and can choreograph the movement of the hair for effect.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

@jimeonji thank you for your reply earlier on :)

I don't know about the ladies, but when Jason Brown was much younger, he was told to either cut his hair or tie it back, as the cascade of curls was distracting the judges. We all know what happened.:biggrin:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Does anyone know when to expect the 2016 world championship ticket packages to be made available for purchase?

I had asked the same thing ToT Hopefully someone can give us a rough idea of when to expect them?

starlight97

Final Flight
Thank you very much :) !
And- Is there any rule about the costume the ladies have to wear?
Would it -theoretically- be ok if Gracie Gold showed up in jogging pants and a sweater because she skated to, let's say Relax by Mika ?
Haha this will never happen but you know what I mean?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Thank you for asking that question. It's a thing I often wondered too.

There's no rule against it.

And thank you for the comprehensive answer. And, from the way you explained it, it totally makes sense why they don't do it.

I've seen loose hair in exhibitions, where the skater doesn't have to concentrate on executing as many difficult skills as possible in 4 minutes and can choreograph the movement of the hair for effect.

My memory might be getting mixed up, but I vaguely remember seeing Akiko skate an exhibition number with her hair down. And I didn't recognise her at all! :laugh:

That is my problem with skaters having their hair tied up when on the ice, and down in "real life". They look so different! :laugh:

I remember the first time I saw Adelina with her hair down, and I couldn't believe it. She looked so much more, well, I suppose the best word is "mature". With her hair up she looked like a young teenage girl. With it down, she looked more like a young woman.

And since then, I have found the same with so many other teenage skaters. The most extreme example being Julia Lipnitskaia. People on here have often said that Julia looks a lot younger than her real age. But, with her hair down, she does actually look her age.

Being a guy, I only realised this recently (thanks to the Russian skaters). But I suppose most girls found this out a LONG time ago, and have been using it to their advantage ever since...!!! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

GF2445

Record Breaker
Got a question out there for you mathamaticians, what is the highest possible SP and FS scores for singles, pairs, dance and syncro?

jimeonji

Final Flight
Got a question out there for you mathamaticians, what is the highest possible SP and FS scores for singles, pairs, dance and syncro?

It's difficult to answer for singles because, honestly, there is no highest possible score. We don't know the extent of technical content that our bodies can handle - will someone land a quad axel? Will we be able to do quintuples? Thus, it is impossible to tell what the absolute highest possible score is. However, given that the IJS only gives us point values up to the quad axel, we can calculate the highest possible score with quad axel as the most difficult possible jump.

For Men's SP, let's put everything in the second half to rack up points. (I'm not too familiar with spins and what's required, so I'm copying off Hanyu's Worlds 2014 spins BV because it seems that he had the highest spins BV. Someone please correct me if there's anything I can put in to make the score higher.)
TES:
StSq4 3.9 +2.1 = 6
FCSp4 3.2 +1.5 = 4.7
CSSp4 3 +1.5 = 4.5
CCoSp4 3.5 +1.5 = 5
----
4A 15*1.1 =16.5 +3.6 = 20.1
4Lz-3Lo 13.6+5.1 = 18.7*1.1 = 20.57 +3 = 23.57
3A 8.5*1.1 = 9.35 +3 = 12.35
total: 76.22
In the SP, it is required to do either a double or a triple axel. This keeps the points from being higher - otherwise, I would've put a 4F there and it could've gotten up to 12.3*1.1 = 13.4 + 3 = 16.3 points and the TES would be 80.17. It is also required to do a jump combination - a 3-2, 3-3, 4-2, or 4-3. If a 4-4 was allowed, I would put in a 4Lz-4T, which would've gotten 13.6+10.3 = 23.9*1.1 = 26.29 +3 = 29.29 and the TES would've increased 5.72 points; together with the 4F option the TES would've been 85.89.

PCS: highest possible PCS would mean 10s across the board, or an average of 10 per component. The PCS would be 50.

76.22 + 50 = 126.22
with the 4F and the 4Lz-4T, 85.89 + 50 = 135.89.

That was actually pretty fun, but I'm not going to attempt to do it for the long program, lol.
Please correct me if I messed up the math or the rules - my question is, can there be more than one axel in the short program? When the COP requirements say "triple jump" do they mean all the triples except the triple axel?

gkelly

Record Breaker
my question is, can there be more than one axel in the short program? When the COP requirements say "triple jump" do they mean all the triples except the triple axel?

The required jumps in the senior men's short program are:

A. A double or triple axel
B. A triple or quadruple jump preceded by steps or other skating moves
C. A jump combination: triple/double, triple/triple, quadruple/double, or quadruple triple

It is not allowed to do the same jump in two different jump elements. Thus the only way that the same jump could legally be performed twice in the short program would be a 3T+3T or 3Lo+3Lo combination.

It is allowed to do triple axel as the first jump of the combination, or as the jump out of steps, but then the skater would need to do a double axel as the axel jump.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
This may not be especially stupid, but I was wondering about World Championship ticket prices and general info. I want to go in 2016 in Boston (very far away, I know) but I would like to know what I'm to expect. I searched for info about Worlds but got only bits of information. I was wondering when is the earliest they usually will be put up for sale? Will buying them as early as possible save any money?
No, buying tickets as early as possible will not save you any money (I've never heard of "early bird discounts" for Worlds tickets).

Does anyone know when to expect the 2016 world championship ticket packages to be made available for purchase?
If you sign up for their mailing list, I assume you will be notified as soon as the information is official/finalized: http://www.worlds2016.com

Alex Rus, I couldn't find a vid for the combo. He successfully did it at Liberty in practice one year, but didn't in the program. He failed on the Axel and couldn't attempt the 3S as a result.
The reverse (clockwise rotation for Rohene Ward) 2A to 3S (counterclockwise rotation) sequence was in his FS at Liberty in July 2005. From Sandra Loosemore's report (relevant part bolded by me): http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2005-liberty.shtml
Rohene Ward (3): New tango program in an old outfit. 4t fall, 3x fall, butterfly into back crossfoot sit spin, 3f/3t, circular steps at the end of the rink rather than the middle, 3t, spin combination with beautiful positions, back spiral into 3z/2t, 2x, reverse 2x iffy landing into hops into 3s in his normal direction fall, change-edge spiral, charlotte, 3r, layback spin better than I've seen from a lot of girls, straight-line steps, camel/sit/twist/A/back sit spin. Good for him for picking up the end of the program after the two big mistakes up front. I do think he needs to take out the reverse jumping, sigh -- it's not rewarded at all under CoP, and it means he can't do some jump that is stronger for him or more difficult there. Not having seen the protocol, I think that because of the bad landing on the axel he lost the rhythm of his intended jump sequence so it was marked as two separate jumps, which meant he wouldn't have gotten credit for the loop he did as the last jump of his program.

jimeonji

Final Flight
It is allowed to do triple axel as the first jump of the combination, or as the jump out of steps, but then the skater would need to do a double axel as the axel jump.
Ah, that was what I was confused on. Thank you!

Icey

Record Breaker
Sonja Henie never wore her hair in a bun or pony tail. I wish more of the ladies wore their hair "down".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And- Is there any rule about the costume the ladies have to wear?
Would it -theoretically- be ok if Gracie Gold showed up in jogging pants and a sweater because she skated to, let's say Relax by Mika ?

I believe that female ice dancers are required to wear a skirt??

An old video snippet at Skate Canada's high performance camp (prob. 2012 or 2013, IIRC???) showed a bit of discussion among Virtue/Moir and one or more SC officials.
Tessa described a costume that she wanted to wear during the coming season. A Skate Canada official said No, because of the skirt rule.
Scott chimed in that Tessa's proposed costume looked very cool, but the official(s) still said No.
Sorry, I don't remember which program was being discussed, and I don't remember how Tessa described the costume.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I have another stupid question!

Assuming that a skater is ambidextrous, is (s)he allowed to jump in both directions, making a combination such as a 3Lz/3Lz?

Okay, I'm right handed which would make one traditionally think I'm right footed and spin and jump counter clockwise. Wrong! I am right handed, left footed and jump and spin clockwise. Also, as cool as you think it would look for a skater to jump and spin in both directions in the manner you have stated above, it is important for choreography reasons that the skater jumps and spins in ONLY one direction. Otherwise the choreography, flow, and the program in general looks "off." Hope that answers your questions! :)

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Thank you very much :) !
And- Is there any rule about the costume the ladies have to wear?

Last I knew Ladies were required to wear skirts, esp Ice Dancers. An example is Kaitlyn Weaver a few seasons back who wore a full bodysuit for their FD but was required to have a skirt attached. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qa48-ZhkH0

I'm not sure if that's also required of freestyle ladies anymore as shown by Gabrielle Daleman whose 2013 SP to "Avatar" was skated in a bodysuit w/o a skirt attached. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQOyysoo_M

Also OP, for what it's worth, ladies are required to show the least amount of skin in costuming as possible including the least amount of skin colored fabric. :) Much of the ladies costuming standards are thanks to the "Katarina rule"

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
as cool as you think it would look for a skater to jump and spin in both directions in the manner you have stated above, it is important for choreography reasons that the skater jumps and spins in ONLY one direction. Otherwise the choreography, flow, and the program in general looks "off."

It only looks "off" because we're used to seeing skaters only jump and spin in one direction.

And they do that because they can't jump and spin with nearly the same quality in both directions.
So the elements look off if done poorly.

For a skater who does have the ability to rotate both ways, that opens up more choreographic options. Do it well enough, and there will be rewards, not penalties, in the choreography score.

Low-rotational moves such as crossovers and turns on the ice are supposed to be rewarded if done in both directions. It looks more interesting to see patterns curving in both directions. Judges will reward it in the Choreography component -- and also under Skating Skills (the "multidirectional skating" criterion).

The IJS rules don't reward elements done in opposite direction (except as a feature for spins or lifts that change direction within a single element).

And jumps or isolated spins or lifts in the "bad" direction will not earn any extra base value under IJS. In 6.0 days they may have been rewarded for added difficulty if the judges noticed.

Judges will penalize elements that are done poorly in the GOEs.

Which is why most skaters don't include rotational elements in their bad direction.

But there would be reward, not penalty, under Choreography for including them successfully.

Here's one pre-IJS program with spins in both directions that received top marks for choreography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEc

How does it look "off" to spin both ways?

BusyMom

Medalist
^Radionova-Diva Dance, Sotnikova-Bolero(not sure about the music but it was blue bodysuit) and many of Bond Programs have bodysuit dresses.