Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

gkelly

Record Breaker
Now my turn. Can Jeremy Abbott score over 100 if he does a short program at the Games like his Nationals one that almost got 100 (crazy question as the thread requested but atleast it is more likely than the above).

I think it's unlikely, because he's not likely to get quite the same PCS from a panel of international judges when Chan, Hanyu, and Takahashi are in the field.

Of course, if he skates after them and performs even better than he did at Nationals, it could just happen.

It was the best figure skating website by far, for a long time and still contains a lot of valuable information.

It's a shame that the owner didn't have time/energy any more to keep it updated (I can understand it though, as it must have taken a lot of work).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to really enjoy Sandra's reports from major competitions.

She must have spent many late nights at US Nationals, typing and posting her notes, which were chock full of information and savvy opinion.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why is it that in figure skating that the podium presentations are done in the order 1-2-3?

In every other sport I have ever seen a podium ceremony for, the presentations are done in the order 3-2-1.

But I remember for sure that at the Vancouver Olympics, the ice dance medalists were presented in order of: bronze, silver, gold.
(Wonder whether it is a matter of Olympic protocol superseding skating protocol??)

As Davis/White were introduced and skated to center ice, a very wide shot happened to catch Virtue/Moir -- visible only if you knew where to look at the edge of the rink -- cheering for their friends/training mates. It was one of my favorite moments from Vancouver.

Another lasting memory is of Davis/White in their spot on the podium leaning down to hug Virtue/Moir, who were at ice level (before stepping up to the top of the podium).

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Stupid question:
Where can I find the various spread sheets with the results of the prediction games?

lilshorty

On the Ice
Question 1:
If the Olympics are every four years, why were the Winter Olympics held in '92 and again in '94 just two years later?

Question 2:
Why do most pairs and ice dance couples not perform their lifts during practices at skating competitions?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question 1:
If the Olympics are every four years, why were the Winter Olympics held in '92 and again in '94 just two years later?

In 1986, the International Olympic Committee voted to start alternating the winter and summer Olympics with an Olympics being held every two years, with 1992 being the final year that they would be held within the same year. So to start the alternating cycle, they held the Winter Olympics in Lillihammer, Norway in 1994 and the Summer Olympics followed in 1996 in Atlanta, USA.

RABID

Final Flight
Question 1:

Question 2:
Why do most pairs and ice dance couples not perform their lifts during practices at skating competitions?

Both the summer and winter games used to be in the same year. That has changed so that every second year is now an Olympic year of one games or another. When that happened? Not that long ago; perhaps in '92.

Nora

Spectator
Is this thread for any stupid questions? Or just Olympic based ones? I am new and still trying to feel it out. I was wondering how most people transported their ice skates to the rink, which I feel is such a dumb question :p I before just used a bag, but was wondering if that was the best way to transport them since they get squished together and rub against each other. If this is the wrong thread to ask, by all means, let me know ^_^

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is this thread for any stupid questions? Or just Olympic based ones? I am new and still trying to feel it out.

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here!

Oh no, this is not just a thread for Olympics questions. It's just because there are an Olympics coming up that people are thinking up Olympics-related questions!

By all means, post whatever questions you want, and we will endeavour to do our best to answer them. :biggrin:

As for your particular question, I don't skate myself, so I don't know the best way to transport skates. But I can understand your concerns about them getting damaged.

Stupid question:
Where can I find the various spread sheets with the results of the prediction games?

GP Game:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj0ihY3NN6OzdGtQNFBLSHlZdjJfSnhzbkl3dnJsUmc

Nationals Game:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avmfh8nvif_kdDYyR2dxWmtad2JrQ05MTFQ2UFlDaEE

ISU Game:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avmfh8nvif_kdFR5a0cxam5ZV1o0U1NhSFZXSWc1c2c

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks CaroLiza_fan!
Is there a thread / folder where all the links are listed, and where I'd know to search for any spreadsheet link in the future?
You guys posted info like "pairs results have now been added to the spreadsheet", without the links having been cited in the specific prediction thread or the prediction game rules thread - at least I wasn't able to find any link. :p I got the link to the Nationals spreadsheet via PM.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Are Gracie Gold and Max Aaron still dating? (disclaimer: I am not asking for or trying to encourage rumors/speculation, I just am wondering if anyone knows... if not that is okay too).