Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

gkelly

Record Breaker
They always announce at the events to turn off the flash for the safety of the skaters. Sometimes they need to announce more often.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I completely agree with this. 3A is a standard jump for men, but the value should be raised for women, to reflect how difficult it is and how few people could do it.

I believe that Mao has been rewarded for the 3A (e.g. worlds 2014). But she has usually have no 3-3-Combo and many underrotated jumps. She lost many points their. if she had jumped the 3A and a 3-3-Combo then she would have got around 81 pionts for the SP in Worlds 2014!

I think the points are ok. 10,3 pionts for a 4T and 4,1 pionts for a 3T. That is a hugh gap.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I believe that Mao has been rewarded for the 3A (e.g. worlds 2014). But she has usually have no 3-3-Combo and many underrotated jumps. She lost many points their. if she had jumped the 3A and a 3-3-Combo then she would have got around 81 pionts for the SP in Worlds 2014!
I think the points are ok. 10,3 pionts for a 4T and 4,1 pionts for a 3T. That is a hugh gap.
I don't get your reasoning. Seriously people are saying the base value for 3A in lady dicipline is too low, hence not many ladies go for it. They go for 3-3 more.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They always announce at the events to turn off the flash for the safety of the skaters. Sometimes they need to announce more often.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...site-for-SC-GP&p=994497&viewfull=1#post994497

This was a Skate Canada event person's response to several queries, including about camera policy.

Generally, you can take photos, but you are to keep your photos for personal use only, unless you have a press camera pass.

You cannot take videos.

Some sites, like Skate Canada, prohibit some lens configurations.

Bottom line, check the event and venue for their particular camera rules.

Will all the smarts phone, etc., it must be impossible for the powers that be to stop people from taking videos. Just like it is impossible for copyright holders to stop people from posting to You Tube.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will all the smarts phone, etc., it must be impossible for the powers that be to stop people from taking videos. Just like it is impossible for copyright holders to stop people from posting to You Tube.

But ... it is prudent for the powers that be to spell out their policies on the event website, on signage, and by other means -- even if it is impossible to enforce the rules exhaustively.

Then if the PTB want to attempt to enforce their policies in certain cases, any excuse that "I didn't know the rules" will be no more than a lame excuse.

But ... it is prudent for the powers that to spell out their policies on the event website, on signage, and by other means -- even if it is impossible to enforce the rules exhaustively.

Then if the PTB want to attempt to enforce their policies in certain cases, any excuse that "I didn't know the rules" will be no more than a lame excuse.

True. But if i were USFS I would be tickled to death if anyone snuck in and made a homemade video of their favorite Skate America performance, put it up on You Tube, and told their friends all about it on Twitter.

I remember back in the 1980s the Detroit Pistons professional basketball team was so bad that they just opened the doors to the games and let people come in off the streets, ticket or no ticket. Today the franchise is worth US$ 450,000,000.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
True. But if i were USFS I would be tickled to death if anyone snuck in and made a homemade video of their favorite Skate America performance, put it up on You Tube, and told their friends all about it on Twitter. ...

I would not blame USFS one bit for taking action in the following scenario:
What if someone who surreptitiously recorded HD video of an entire event then tried to SELL bootleg DVDs?
If the PTB wanted to go after the perpetrator, they need to be able to say, "Our rules prohibited recording video, and we made the rules known."​

As I have said in previous discussions of this issue, I don't agree that USFS would be tickled with your scenario.
The reality is that USFS must tolerate many instances of your scenario, but that doesn't mean that USFS is happy about it.
Doesn't USFS make some profit from IN subscriptions? The prevalence of YT videos decreases the number of subscriptions that IN can sell. And what is it that makes the world go 'round? Cue Joel Grey.​

noskates

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt that the USFS would think someone recording a performance and putting it on YouTube would be a good way to market figure skating. Just like concerts and plays, there are copyright issues and it IS illegal. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time but it wouldn't be condoned or encouraged behavior. I don't really know what the hook is between IN and USFS but as I repeatedly say, you have to have a good network to truly enjoy the Ice Network live streams and even the videos. So while on the one hand I say it's illegal to record and publish, I'm ever thankful that some break the law or I would never see some of the performances...:biggrin:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
True. But if i were USFS I would be tickled to death if anyone snuck in and made a homemade video of their favorite Skate America performance, put it up on You Tube, and told their friends all about it on Twitter.

I remember back in the 1980s the Detroit Pistons professional basketball team was so bad that they just opened the doors to the games and let people come in off the streets, ticket or no ticket. Today the franchise is worth US$ 450,000,000.

Many people have the mistaken notion that if something exists in some for for sale people will buy it if they want it. Often the circumstances/price also need to be right. A lot of people often fail to see the big picture.

In the examples you gave. Seeing a fan cam would give perspective that is not for sale. I suspect a lot of people might see it and say "hey what they see from the stands is pretty neat, I'd like to check it out" and buy a ticket to an event that is nearby. No official broadcasts are going to do that the same.

On the basketball. Those powers that be realized that a good crowd leads to a better event. They also likely realized that people are sentimental. Create good memories and then you have something else to sell. People are often very loyal to good memories.

The bigger picture is just very hard to quantify.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I And what is it that makes the world go 'round? Cue Joel Grey.

:laugh:

Hard to imagine that USFS would be pleased about bootleg video b/c they have to make nice w/ broadcasters to get them to keep showing skating on TV. Also, to the extent that a live competition is taped by NBC or another network for broadcast @ a later date, it seems to me that the network would have a vested interest in making sure that video from other sources doesn't make it to YT, at least not before the competition or ice show is aired. If they really want to go after specific YT posters, I'm guessing they can do it by tracing the IP addresses. It just depends on how serious they are about finding the person. If they are, they've got teams of copyright attorneys ready to slap lawsuits on bootleggers they want to pursue.

And yes, warnings & signage etc. would all lessen the ability to claim "I didn't know." Bootleggers would have a tough time making a case.

Having said all that, also have to admit that I'm w/ noskates -- IN subscriptions ain't cheap and there's lots of stuff I wouldn't get to see if it weren't for YT!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Having said all that, also have to admit that I'm w/ noskates -- IN subscriptions ain't cheap and there's lots of stuff I wouldn't get to see if it weren't for YT!

Same here. I hope I did not sound holier than thou.
Was just sayin' that I do understand why rules are in place.

... Getting back to skating, but staying in Italy, and Valentina Marchei is in the Air Force. Unfortunately, I don’t know what exactly she does, but the idea of her being a pilot does sound very attractive…! Anyway, here is a story about Vale on the Air Force’s website, and she is also mentioned in this more general story about athletes in the Air Force. ...

valemarchei14
Centro Sportivo Aeronautica Militare, Vigna di Valle
Aviere Scelto Valentina Marchei #giuramento #orgoglio #aeronauticamilitare #italianairforce #proudgirl
http://instagram.com/p/unwPFfw0-Q/ (Oct 26)​

CL_fan, thought of you when I saw this photo. :yes:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt that the USFS would think someone recording a performance and putting it on YouTube would be a good way to market figure skating. Just like concerts and plays, there are copyright issues and it IS illegal. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time but it wouldn't be condoned or encouraged behavior. I don't really know what the hook is between IN and USFS but as I repeatedly say, you have to have a good network to truly enjoy the Ice Network live streams and even the videos. So while on the one hand I say it's illegal to record and publish, I'm ever thankful that some break the law or I would never see some of the performances...:biggrin:

I agree ! I realize that skating doesn't pull in the big numbers like it used to. However, at some point the USFSA should offer a free channel if an event is not being televised. Even the youtube videos don't last long, especially the US versions. I actually enjoy the British commentators more than most and I can usually find those on youtube. I can imagine the casual fan has no idea where to look to find an event since they are rarely advertised on TV.

I guess I should say, they're rarely advertised in Clovis California.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I just finished reading thread dedicated to ladies FS at Skate America and felt frustrated by the names people given to the Russian skaters. Radionova transformed into Radio, while Tuktamysheva was called Tuk, Tut and also Eliza (the latter is like calling Benedict a Benjamin), etc.

I haven't seen anyone's names being butchered that way, Russian single ladies only. I thought it was because names are often long, but somehow Russian men's names are not mangled the same way. Pairs and dance are okay too. There was also one poster who invented 'Stepukin' which is also a kind of not cool, but that's just one example that I noticed.

So, why do you guys think this is happening?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I just finished reading thread dedicated to ladies FS at Skate America and felt frustrated by the names people given to the Russian skaters. Radionova transformed into Radio, while Tuktamysheva was called Tuk, Tut and also Eliza (the latter is like calling Benedict a Benjamin), etc.

I haven't seen anyone's names being butchered that way, Russian single ladies only. I thought it was because names are often long, but somehow Russian men's names are not mangled the same way. Pairs and dance are okay too. There was also one poster who invented 'Brangelina' which is also a kind of not cool, but that's just one example that I noticed.

So, why do you guys think this is happening?

"Stepukin" is a blending of the names. . . in the USA at least this can be rather popular. No different than "Branjelina" or what not. It is just an abbreviation.

As for the others. Yes it happens with other skaters. I have seen "Plushy" rather often for instance. Generally nicknames are used affectionately, unless they clearly are intended to be insults. I really don't think any of them were. Radio, is cute, she skated to a song many remember hearing on the "Radio" and it somewhat fits her personality, she clearly broadcasts herself. I don't think it is an insult. Tut, likely happened because her music makes some think of "king tut" so it is easy for the k to get lost in the mental mix up. Maybe a touch of wishful thinking as it would be fun to call a skater skating to Equiptianesq music "Tut" for short. Tuk is likely just a correction of Tut. Calling Richard Dornbush "Dorn" or Douglas Razzano "Raz" would be pretty much the same thing. In fact you likely could find it being done. At worst it is lazy, but usually it is just sorta like a pronoun. Elizaveta is just an example. It is not derogatory, just shorthand.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think it's just because there's so much happening and we only have so much time to type up our comments in case we miss something so we tend to use short forms more, if you notice during the FS posts tend to be much shorter and brief because we don't want to miss anything, for the most part in non-live competition topics or discussion topics people tend to use their first names

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And so many people are typing on phones and tablets, which is a bit slower, and likely to be butchered by autocorrect.

Longer names are apt to get butchered by my phone, particularly non-English names.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And so many people are typing on phones and tablets, which is a bit slower, and likely to be butchered by autocorrect.
Longer names are apt to get butchered by my phone, particularly non-English names.
Yes yes... Auto correct is my nightmare, IOS 8 is making it worse.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Rather than being stupid questions I think my knowledge is just bad.

1. How do you properly pronounce Tuktamysheva? (forgot how to spell it)

2. How is the PCS for men judged? Like why do most of them have much higher PCS than the ladies?

3. Why do so many Russian ladies do 3Lz-3T when some of them can't even do them properly?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1. I do not know and hope some else will say too!

2. Check the protocols. A different PCS multiplier is used when calculating scores for the men than for the ladies. This is done so that TES and PCS will come out about the same, and so be equally important. Rumor has it that when tapes the 2002 men's free skate was judged with the first fledging beta version of COP, that Goebel was scored ahead of Yagudin and Plushenko- so the ISU response was, that's not right! Let's add a PCS multiplier to up the amount that PCS counts. Yagudin wins! All is right with the new scoring system.

Men's FS protocol. Note the number in the FACTOR column is 2.00 in the PCS score section.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2014/gpusa2014_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Ladies' FS protocol. Note the number in the FACTOR column is 1.60 in the PCS score section.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2014/gpusa2014_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

This also ensures that Ladies' scores are generally lower than Men's scores :rolleye::rolleye:

3. The short answer is that it maximizes their points. With the Zayak rules limiting what jumps can be done, a flutz counts more than a double as the first jump of the combo. And the flutz may not be always called. The second answer is that with all the competition in Russia, they have to do the highest planned base value they possibly can if they want to have a hope of making the World team.

Last edited: