Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Halelulah! I thought I was stupid not being sure how to pronounce Liza's surname! Especially since I am such a big fan of her's!

Over the years, there are 2 versions I have tried:

Took-ta-MEE-shev-a?
Took-ta-Mish-e-va?

I always tended to use the first. Then I went through a short spell with the second. Then I went back to the first.

Then, a few months ago, I spotted the "listen" button on Google Translate. So I set the first box to Russian, typed in her name, and pressed the button. And it said the second.

And that is the pronounciation Google gives you if you keep the language set to English!

CaroLiza_fan

Both variants are not 100% correct, I think. But second version is closer to russian pronunciation.
You can find more information about russian letter 'ы' on Wikipedia. I think it'll be helpful for you.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yery
It represents the phoneme /i/ after non-palatalised (hard) consonants in the Belarusian and Russian alphabets. Because of phonological processes, the actual realization of /i/ after alveolar consonants (⟨д⟩, ⟨з⟩, ⟨л⟩, ⟨н⟩, ⟨р⟩, ⟨с⟩, ⟨т⟩, or ⟨ц⟩) is retracted to a close central unrounded vowel [ɨ], or [ʷi] after the labials ⟨б⟩, ⟨в⟩, ⟨м⟩, ⟨п⟩.
Have no idea what does it all mean :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Both variants are not 100% correct, I think. But second version is closer to russian pronunciation.
You can find more information about russian letter 'ы' on Wikipedia. I think it'll be helpful for you.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yery
It represents the phoneme /i/ after non-palatalised (hard) consonants in the Belarusian and Russian alphabets. Because of phonological processes, the actual realization of /i/ after alveolar consonants (⟨д⟩, ⟨з⟩, ⟨л⟩, ⟨н⟩, ⟨р⟩, ⟨с⟩, ⟨т⟩, or ⟨ц⟩) is retracted to a close central unrounded vowel [ɨ], or [ʷi] after the labials ⟨б⟩, ⟨в⟩, ⟨м⟩, ⟨п⟩.
Have no idea what does it all mean :laugh:

I would add that the exact pronunciation of "ы" can vary slightly, depending on the specific word.

The vowel sounds in "быть" and "вы" are not 100% identical -- even though the vowel follows a labial in both cases.

In the first word, the correct pronunciation is closer to "i," IMO; in the second word, a little closer to "ee."

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I would add that the exact pronunciation of "ы" can vary slightly, depending on the specific word.

The vowel sounds in "быть" and "вы" are not 100% identical -- even though the vowel follows a labial in both cases.

In the first word, the correct pronunciation is closer to "i," IMO; in the second word, a little closer to "ee."

That's true.
My friend from UK asked me a while ago what's the difference in pronunciation of russian words with just one letter difference: ныть - нить, выть - вить, быть - бить etc. I tried so hard to explain him, but it's just too hard for the people who don't speak russian. He literally did not believe that we (russians) are distinguishing these words easily by pronunciation. He thinks they sound absolutely the same, no difference at all. That was funny :laugh:

Speaking of pronouncing names in other languages, did anyone notice Terry Gannon's attempt at voicing the initial glottal stop in "Nguyen" (Nam Nguyen) at in the NBC broadcast of Skate America? Most English speakers just say "Win" and let it go at that. The initial glottal stop is too subtle for most speakers of European languages to pronounce or even to hear properly.

By the way, I have read that every modern language has a, perhaps inaudible, glottal stop at the beginning of many words. This supposedly counts as evidence that all human speech has a single (African) origin.

A skating name that I was always curious about is (Alissa) Czisny. Do you think this is a shortened form of something like Czizinsky?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would not happen because there is no market. IMHO the number one priority of the USFSA should be to create and sustain a market for their product. :)

I believe the opposite to be more likely. The more exposure figure skating gets the more people will want to sign up for Icenetwork, go to live events, etc.

A while back someone muted the music to the You Tubes of Michelle Kwan's 1998 U.S. Nationals Lyra Angelic over copyright issues. (I see that they are back now. :) ) Was it the estate of composer William Alwyn? Did Chandos Recordings think that if people watched Michelle skating without the music they would rush out and buy the CD or download the mp3 to play along with the video? Did ABC TV think that they would lose money if they let people hear Dick Button's 16-year old commentary for free?

Or did they just take away an opportunity for us to tell our friends, "Check this out, y'all!"

People who post their favorite performances to You Tube are the friends of figure skating, not the enemies. No one questions the right of USFS and its partners jealously to guard their stuff -- only the wisdom. More skating, more skating, more skating, that's the ticket. :yes:

Yes, Mathman, yes. And they are also the friends of the artists. My pet peeve is all the recordings of Jason's Prince SP with the music removed. In what universe does Prince think that figure skating fans are out to rip off his music?? Little Walter's daughter, on the other hand, is all about promoting the SP to Juke.

And I was even more impressed that the vid I saw of Adam Rippon's LP at Finlandia skated to Lizst Piano Concerto No. 1 gave a link to Yundi Li's recording. His team (or Adam) did a *wonderful* job cutting the piece, Adam did a magnificent job interpreting it, and I adored Yundi's interpretation (if that was in fact yundi(. I was not a huge fan of Yundi's earlier Chopin recordings, but this Liszt ... well, they know what they are doing, providing the link.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Thank you all, guys, for the responses!
I see that the Russian ladies names are not the only ones being butchered. And good that someone mentioned all these K/S, MCM, D/G, etc. I see reasons for all of these name modifications, but I still feel bad for when it happens. And I am so relieved to find out that I am not the one who feel terrible about Stepukin, Branjelina, etc. :laugh:

About Elizaveta Tuktamysheva name:
the correct of pronunciation is more close to Took-t(a)-mi-sh(e)-va.
The easiest way to get it right is to divide her name in two parts: Tookta-misheva, with a small pause between these two parts, where a in Tookta and e in Misheva are short, almost reduced, with a stress falling on i in misheva. The i is pronounced like I in violin [ˌvaɪəˈlɪn] (and try to make I sound angry) :big grin: When you mastered it, you can try and reduce the pause between Tookta and misheva, and pronounce it as a one word.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

A while back someone muted the music to the You Tubes of Michelle Kwan's 1998 U.S. Nationals Lyra Angelic over copyright issues. (I see that they are back now. :) ) Was it the estate of composer William Alwyn? Did Chandos Recordings think that if people watched Michelle skating without the music they would rush out and buy the CD or download the mp3 to play along with the video? Did ABC TV think that they would lose money if they let people hear Dick Button's 16-year old commentary for free?

Or did they just take away an opportunity for us to tell our friends, "Check this out, y'all!"

People who post their favorite performances to You Tube are the friends of figure skating, not the enemies. No one questions the right of USFS and its partners jealously to guard their stuff -- only the wisdom. More skating, more skating, more skating, that's the ticket. :yes:

Mathematics;)-man, I have more to say on this subject, but will start with these thoughts:

I am happy to note that GS itself has a rule against posting print articles in entirety, because GS respects the rights of the copyright holder. I wholeheartedly agree with this rule, b/c anyone who wants to read the whole article should click over to the original source and be accounted for in the number of hits there.

When I cite an article here on GS, I am a "friend" of the author -- in the sense that I am encouraging others to read the article -- but by GS rules (as well as my own moral compass), copying and pasting the full text here is not acceptable.

No one questions the right of USFS and its partners jealously to guard their stuff -- only the wisdom.

Disagree with this statement. You and I do not question the right of USFS, but I feel sure that I have read posts from some other GS members who do.

Yes, Mathman, yes. And they are also the friends of the artists. My pet peeve is all the recordings of Jason's Prince SP with the music removed. In what universe does Prince think that figure skating fans are out to rip off his music?? Little Walter's daughter, on the other hand, is all about promoting the SP to Juke.

In the universe that we live in, Prince IS being ripped off if he is not receiving royalties every time someone (skating fan or not) hears his music on YT.

Little Walter's daughter is happy that Jason is skating to his music. :)
BUT we don't know what she would think if a video of Jason's Juke SP were to get four million hits on YT without Little Walter's estate receiving any royalties.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who are the commentators on the Russian спорт channel?

Good question. I'd like to add to it if I may. Didnt the guy who did it last season quit and there was a bit of hoopla over it?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My pet peeve is when this happens in mathematics. Actual mathematicians never say "math" or maths" when they mean "mathematics." Or "stat" when they mean "statistics." Or ""trig,." etc. It's disrespectful to the subject.

Strangely, math as an adjective doesn't seem so bad to me. Math book. Math course.

The old saying "Two countries, divided by a common language" comes to mind.

Here in the UK, the shortened form "Math" is seriously frowned upon.

The word "Mathematics" is ALWAYS plural. So, if you think logically, why would the shortened form be singular? Surely, the shortened form should also be plural.

Consequently, we ALWAYS use "Maths" as the shortened form.

That said, the long form is singular in German ("Mathematik"). So, in theory, the shortened form would be "Math". Yet, this is not the case. Like us, they use the plural shortened form (either the German "die Mathe", or the English "Maths").

And to confuse things further, in French the long form is plural ("Mathematiques"), yet the short form is singular ("Math") :eek:

So, I don't know any more! :confused: :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Danja

Rinkside
Good question. I'd like to add to it if I may. Didnt the guy who did it last season quit and there was a bit of hoopla over it?

Figure skating is nearly always commented by Nikolai Popov and Alexandr Grishin, they commented Skate America last weekend, too. Maybe you mean Alexei Vasilyev? As far as I know, it`s him who usually comments figure skating during Olympic Games. Last year he also did European Championship, maybe it was his preparation for OG. But his main area of job is commenting track and field. And he`s much better at it than at figure skating)

thoakun

Final Flight
Speaking of pronouncing names in other languages, did anyone notice Terry Gannon's attempt at voicing the initial glottal stop in "Nguyen" (Nam Nguyen) at in the NBC broadcast of Skate America? Most English speakers just say "Win" and let it go at that. The initial glottal stop is too subtle for most speakers of European languages to pronounce or even to hear properly.
I had to go back at that video to hear it and realized that Terry's pronunciation is closest to the right pronunciation of "Nguyen". I never realize that it's a glottal stop. :)

Rhodium

On the Ice
I just finished reading thread dedicated to ladies FS at Skate America and felt frustrated by the names people given to the Russian skaters. Radionova transformed into Radio, while Tuktamysheva was called Tuk, Tut and also Eliza (the latter is like calling Benedict a Benjamin), etc.

I haven't seen anyone's names being butchered that way, Russian single ladies only. I thought it was because names are often long, but somehow Russian men's names are not mangled the same way. Pairs and dance are okay too. There was also one poster who invented 'Stepukin' which is also a kind of not cool, but that's just one example that I noticed.

So, why do you guys think this is happening?

By the way, Elena's signature is just "Radio", so this abridgement is sanctioned by Elena herself ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I had to go back at that video to hear it and realized that Terry's pronunciation is closest to the right pronunciation of "Nguyen". I never realize that it's a glottal stop. :)

I could have sworn that Mrs. P gave us the definitive explanation on how to pronounce Nam Nguyen's name one time, but I can't find it now that I want to!

But, I can find a conversation that started with bartlebooth complaining about how the British Eurosport commentators were pronouncing it during the Men's SP at Worlds last season:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Short-Program&p=893557&viewfull=1#post893557

The conversation continues intermittantly over the next 2 pages of the thread, but ends abruptly when Kim Lucine does his Super Mario routine, and all talk unsurprisingly turns to it!

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just something that came to mind.

Has there ever been a case where a skater has claimed that another skater has plagiarised part of their program?

And just say there was a clear case of plagiarism. Would the accused skater be taken to an ISU tribunal? Just wondering.

^ I fread once that Janet Lynn spent six months trying to perfect a particular arm movement. When she got to U.S. Nationals, she discovered that her rival Julie Lynn Holmes and her coach Carlo Fassi had stolen the move and put it in Holmes' program. To add insult to injury, Holmes skated first, making it seem like Lynn was copying her.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^ I fread once that Janet Lynn spent six months trying to perfect a particular arm movement. When she got to U.S. Nationals, she discovered that her rival Julie Lynn Holmes and her coach Carlo Fassi had stolen the move and put it in Holmes' program. To add insult to injury, Holmes skated first, making it seem like Lynn was copying her.
Wow, that's not nice. But she couldn't do anything, could she? So when skaters discover that they might have been the victim of plagiarism, they couldn't do anything at all??