Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When are the GP predictions due in by?

For this round? 1 hour before the start of the first event, which is 4 p.m. Shanghai Time on Nov. 7. So 3 p.m. local time, or 2 a.m. Eastern Standard Time Nov. 7, so basically should get them in before you go to bed on Thursday, Nov. 6.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
When are the GP predictions due in by?

Quoting from the official thread

Entry list: http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00051558.htm

The first segment of the competition starts at 4 PM Friday, Nov. 7. (12 AM Pacific Standard Time/3 AM Eastern Standard Time/8 AM Greenwich Mean Time/5 PM Japan Standard Time), therefore the deadline is 3 PM, Friday, Nov. 7 local time (11 PM, Nov. 6 PST/ 2AM EST/7AM GMT/4PM JST)

For other time zones, here's a time zone calculator.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx...sorry but I'm very swamped at work so I have no time to comb thru the threads :bang:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Meh, I have been meaning to check for me anyway.

I do have a question. If a skater wanted to add an extra jump at the end of their program for the hell of it that would violate Zayak, would there be any penalties beyond the jump not counting as a jump (this assumes that they managed to actually do their other stuff of course)?

I am kinda envisioning a scenario where a skater maybe want to be the first to do something, say a quad axel, but does not want to risk it as part of the jumps they get credit for. So they skate their program, complete their jumping passes, then has the super human energy left to toss in the quad axel at the end. Sorta a Surya Bonaly back flip only a move that is legal. Would they get any sort of penalty for too many jumps? Or blatantly violating the rules? Would it count as having been completed? What would happen if they fell on the invalid element, do they still get a deduction? Seems odd to have a deduction off of something that is getting zero points.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Meh, I have been meaning to check for me anyway.

I do have a question. If a skater wanted to add an extra jump at the end of their program for the hell of it that would violate Zayak, would there be any penalties beyond the jump not counting as a jump (this assumes that they managed to actually do their other stuff of course)?

I am kinda envisioning a scenario where a skater maybe want to be the first to do something, say a quad axel, but does not want to risk it as part of the jumps they get credit for. So they skate their program, complete their jumping passes, then has the super human energy left to toss in the quad axel at the end. Sorta a Surya Bonaly back flip only a move that is legal. Would they get any sort of penalty for too many jumps? Or blatantly violating the rules? Would it count as having been completed? What would happen if they fell on the invalid element, do they still get a deduction? Seems odd to have a deduction off of something that is getting zero points.

A fall is a deduction no matter what and no matter how it happens and no matter if it's on an element or not on an element or on an invalid element. If you fall, it's minus a point.

I don't really know the answer to the rest.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
A fall is a deduction no matter what and no matter how it happens and no matter if it's on an element or not on an element or on an invalid element. If you fall, it's minus a point.

I don't really know the answer to the rest.

I wonder if we will see a Zayaked jumping pass have a fall this season. That. . . would sting.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If all the jump boxes are already filled at the end of the program, an additional jump will just get no points.

And a fall deduction if the skater falls. Same as a fall on crossovers would get a fall deduction.

Yes, if an element gets asterisked out because of too many repeated jumps and also has a fall, its final value will be -1.0.

Obviously it would be inadvisable to put a really difficult jump that a skater is likely to miss even in the best of circumstances at the end of a program when s/he is tired and pretty much guaranteed not to succeed.

[Edit: As GKelly said above :)] I am pretty sure you can do extra jumps at the end with no penalty except just that they don't earn any points. Conceivably they could even enhance the choreography. I also believe that a skater could do something cool like 4 double Axels in a row, with the first two counting as a sequence and then two more just for fun, or something like that.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure you can do extra jumps at the end with no penalty except just that they don't earn any points. Conceivably they could even enhance the choreography. I also believe that a skater could do something cool like 4 double Axels in a row, with the first two counting as a sequence and then two more just for fun, or something like that.

Have to admit, I have thought about how cool it would be to toss in a double loop in the middle of a spin sequence.

. . . so um this is awkward. . . I was about to post the Charlie Tickner performance that has some jumps and type of jumps we don't see anymore. . . then realized you were the one that posted it. So ummm yeah. Another good example of stuff that would be fun to revive. The delayed axle and Arabian seem like things they could allow as a "difficult entry" to a spin for instance. Sorta like a flying camel entrance but this instead. I would think some skaters could pull that off.

I wonder if they did it in the middle of a choreography sequence or spin, if they would get docked as it being the end of the element so to speak. i.e. the rest of the sequence/spin would not count.

I still say there is a place for Zayak style combos and would enjoy them being added back in some form.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I like the idea of something like that, ending with a long sequence like 2flip-1/2loop-2sal-1/2loop-2sal if it made sense with the music. Unfortunately, if you already have a good program going, why add an extra jumping pass that you could mess up on? (even if they're doubles) And it's not the 80s or early 90s anymore, and if your last pass is a slew of doubles it might give the impression you're exhausted and deflate the program. Or if not a jump, maybe we will finally be able to see a program end with a simple scratch spin, which gets no credit anymore under COP anymore but if done well can really put an exclamation point for the program. I would bet you'd get penalized for adding an extra element, because otherwise why wouldnt someone do that by now?

^ Maybe skaters don't want to seem like they are thumbing their noses at the judges -- like they are saying, OK, I did all the things that you are making me do, now I am going do something that I want to do.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I think I can get this started, at least

Finally, yes, the body position that yields the smallest rotational moment of Inertia about the axis of rotation, with the smallest moments of rotational inertia about axes perpendicular to the axis of rotation, should yield the fastest and most stable rotation.

I guess part of my question is, why is the legs being crossed the position that has the smallest moment of rotational inertia? I.e. why is it smaller than the legs being side by side?

Also remember that the skater needs to land on one foot -- the right foot for counterclockwise jumpers -- so the air position that anticipates that landing is better than one with comparable speed of rotation with the weight centered over the other foot or between the two.

Hmm. Somewhat tangential to the question about the fastest in-air rotation position, but so in terms of the landing position, is it that the landing is more stable when the weight is over the landing foot (along with the other things you mentioned here which seems to be more about maintaining control during the glide going out of the jump and checking the rotation)? What I'm thinking of is, the closer the landing foot is to being under the center of mass, the less the skater gets tilted when absorbing the force of the landing. For example, if the landing foot is to the left of the center of mass, then it naturally makes the skater fall toward the right when landing. If this is the case, then the legs being crossed does make the landing foot closest to the axis of rotation compared with legs side by side, thus resulting in a more stable landing.

. . . so um this is awkward. . . I was about to post the Charlie Tickner performance that has some jumps and type of jumps we don't see anymore. . . then realized you were the one that posted it. So ummm yeah. Another good example of stuff that would be fun to revive. The delayed axle and Arabian seem like things they could allow as a "difficult entry" to a spin for instance. Sorta like a flying camel entrance but this instead. I would think some skaters could pull that off.

A question of mine (because I can do it on the ground but eventually want to put it on the ice) is what is the move that he does at 2:39 in the video called? The take off is like a bunny hop, but he scissors his legs in the air and thus lands on the opposite foot compared with the bunny hop. In dance this is pretty much a switch or scissor leap (for example here). Given its similarity to the bunny hop, I would've thought it'd be called the "double bunny hop", but Youtubing for those just returns videos with the skater's jumping leg (which is also the landing leg) staying in position without doing the scissor action in the air (for example here).

gkelly

Record Breaker
I like the idea of something like that, ending with a long sequence like 2flip-1/2loop-2sal-1/2loop-2sal if it made sense with the music. Unfortunately, if you already have a good program going, why add an extra jumping pass that you could mess up on? (even if they're doubles) And it's not the 80s or early 90s anymore, and if your last pass is a slew of doubles it might give the impression you're exhausted and deflate the program. Or if not a jump, maybe we will finally be able to see a program end with a simple scratch spin, which gets no credit anymore under COP anymore but if done well can really put an exclamation point for the program. I would bet you'd get penalized for adding an extra element, because otherwise why wouldnt someone do that by now?

If a skater does three spins that meet the freeskate spin requirement (one combo spin, one spin in one position, one flying spin) and then does a fourth spin after all three spin boxes are filled, then the fourth spin would get called and get asterisked and earned no points. There would be penalty.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dumb question what is the difference between a wally and a toe loop or are they the same. Obviously the wally must be seen as the same as something or there would be another triple option and someone would have used it to get around the Zayak rule and get more jumps in.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Another dumb question. Is it fair to say with IJS/COP we won't probably see creative stuff like a horizontal axel (Look up I think his name is Igor Bobrin) because it doesn't render many points. Would a delayed axel or double jump get extra points or just goe's?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
If a skater does three spins that meet the freeskate spin requirement (one combo spin, one spin in one position, one flying spin) and then does a fourth spin after all three spin boxes are filled, then the fourth spin would get called and get asterisked and earned no points. There would be penalty.

But what would the penalty be? Would they take away points? I'd take a zero point scratch spin to end a program after all the boxes have checked. I'd call it choreography. And Mathman, I do see your point, that it kind of is thumbing your nose at the system. But if the rules say the first three spins are the ones graded, what's the big deal ending with a great spin as choreo?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Dumb question what is the difference between a wally and a toe loop or are they the same. Obviously the wally must be seen as the same as something or there would be another triple option and someone would have used it to get around the Zayak rule and get more jumps in.

It's the edge on takeoff. I had to laugh because the so-called Zayak Rule was done because Elaine would do two 3toeloops and two 3twowalleys, so technically she was doing different jumps. She did this in her last competition at 84 Worlds and got away with it. I think by that next year the ISU deemed that the toeloop and toewalley would be considered the same jump. (another Zayak Rule No.2?) I always found the toewalley harder. They are different.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Can someone please explain (or give me a link to another source) how qualifying to the Grand Prix final works? I was watching Pogorilaya's EX and the commentator said Radionova was 4 points ahead of her and I didn't know what that meant.