Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism? | Golden Skate

Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article entitled: "Brian Orser offers advice to Canadian figure skating star Patrick Chan leading into Sochi Olympics." It reads:-

And now, 25 years later, Orser is asked if he might have any advice to offer his compatriot Patrick Chan, who has spoken at length in recent months about how much pressure he's feeling leading up to the Sochi Games. Like Orser in 1988, Chan is hoping to bring Canada the first gold medal in men's singles skating at an Olympic Games. No fewer than 14 times Canadian men have won at the world championships -- including Orser and Chan -- but none have managed to win Olympic gold. Being a defending three-time world champ, the pressure on Chan is building as the Sochi Games get closer and closer.

"You can't shy away from the Olympics and what it means and how big it is," said Orser. "And you can't run and hide. You need to face it, and face it daily. You can't pretend (the pressure) is not there and think it's 'just another competition.' Because a lot of people take that attitude that, 'Yeah, it's just another run-through' and then you get to the Olympics and then it's 'Oh my gosh.' And it becomes overwhelming."

So can Patrick Chan handle the pressure of being favourite for the Olympic title? Will he come through it with ease like Kim Yu-Na? Or will the Olympic title prove to be as elusive as it was for Michelle Kwan?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I truly believe that had Orser NOT been at home in 88, he'd not have popped his jump and I think he may have even won the title... he knew what pressure at an Olympics was like, but not one at home...

Can Chan handle it? I don't know that I've ever seen him handle pressure well, period. He's good at talking big, but he doesn't exude calmness to me watching at home. So it will be interesting.

lcd

Match Penalty
I truly believe that had Orser NOT been at home in 88, he'd not have popped his jump and I think he may have even won the title... he knew what pressure at an Olympics was like, but not one at home...

Agree with you on the pressure for Orser. But if I recall correctly, I thought the "difference" came when Brian stepped out of the landing of his triple flip towards the end of the program. I simply cannot remember Orser ever "popping" a jump come to think of it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Agree with you on the pressure for Orser. But if I recall correctly, I thought the "difference" came when Brian stepped out of the landing of his triple flip towards the end of the program. I simply cannot remember Orser ever "popping" a jump come to think of it.

you're correct, not sure why I typed popping... meant step out, I promise! LOL

Also, Boitano did two triple Axels, IIRC.

I have confidence in Chan. The other guys are under pressure, too. Chan has his strong basic skating skills to fall back on, even if he makes a mistake.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I have confidence in Chan. The other guys are under pressure, too. Chan has his strong basic skating skills to fall back on, even if he makes a mistake.

Orser had a second planned IIRC the story correctly but went with a 2A instead.

It would be interesting. Evan killed the "curse" of the Reigning World Champion not winning the Olympics... Chan could be the first Canadian guy to win Gold...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I am a HUGE fan of Patrick's skating. To me, he did not look comfortable or calm at all last season, and it became a question of "Which mistakes will he make in this program?" But this season, with a long program that he enjoys more, he can hopefully be more relaxed on the ice. I don't think the question in the thread title can be fully answered until after Skate Canada. Fingers crossed, though, that this season will be better than last season. PLEASE, skate gods, let the men's competitive results be non-controversial this season! If Patrick wins the OGM, I want it to be earned with the skate of his life (and I'm sure that's what he wants too). I think Patrick should focus on skating his best and then the results will fall where they may.

I really hope Patrick can manage the tremendous pressure that he feels and skate better than last season. Best wishes to him for a satisfying season! :)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I think we honestly can't know until the actual event, but I really don't envy him, coming in as the Olympic favourite can't be easy. I have a feeling that the global media, which (mostly) doesn't follow figure skating on a regular basis, is going to look at his 3 world titles and draw the conclusion that he's dead locked to win this thing, adding onto the expectations. In addition to that, he comes in as the best shot Canada has of winning a historic Gold. :slink:

If Patrick wins the OGM, I want it to be earned with the skate of his life (and I'm sure that's what he wants too). I think Patrick should focus on skating his best and then the results will fall where they may.

amen to that!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's a rare skater who can bring their best at the Olympics. Many legends of the sport - Michelle, Irina, Kurt, and others - have failed to do so. It will be a personal triumph if he is able to do so, because he didn't do his best in Vancouver and it's harder to do it the second time around.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's a rare skater who can bring their best at the Olympics. Many legends of the sport - Michelle, Irina, Kurt, and others - have failed to do so. It will be a personal triumph if he is able to do so, because he didn't do his best in Vancouver and it's harder to do it the second time around.

Is it? Scott Hamilton, Viktor Petrenko, Evan Lysacek all might disagree (and those are just the ones off the top of my head...)

Even Kurt - who didn't hit the podium, had his best result at his final (third time, placed fifth) Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well if the judges keep giving him a 5 or 6 fall cushion on everyone else it wont matter if he can handle the pressure now will it. He can fall all over the ice, everyone else can skate lights out, and he could still be given the gold, if past history is any indication. That said, despite the odds, I have a feeling he will somehow end up only 3rd or 4th in Sochi. Not sure why, just a gut feeling I have. And no that isnt because Chan is not a favorite of mine. I also had a gut feeling the judges were already setting up a 5+ fall cushion for him to be certain to win every event the next 3 or 4 years back in the summer of 2010 before the 2010-2011 season even began, and in this case too my gut feeling (which in this case I dreaded) was right. Hopefully my recent far more positive one which would be great for the sport, will also be right.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's a really good point. There have been wonderful skaters who have simply not pulled it together when it counts... the only exception to that list would be Kwan. She skated the lights out in 1998, but had the misfortune of a certain Tara Lipinski outjumping her. On the other hand, several athletes have been lucky and got it together at the Olympics to win medals or even win... Urmanov, Arakawa, Chen, Hughes.

I agree this freeskate is more comfortable for Patrick. Unlike other freeskates where the skater plays a character (Black Swan, Phantom, Carmen, etc.) and relies on that for interpretation, this is simply feeling the music. It really shows off all that there is to love about men's skating, in my opinion. And he does have a bit of a cushion with his skating skills and difficulty.

I think moreso than Patrick recent consistency problems, his biggest problem is the rest of the field catching up, particularly those who can now execute multiple quads and 3 quads in some cases. I hope he can get it together for the Olympics, as do I hope other skaters like Takahashi, Plushenko, Hanyu, etc. can, as that makes for a better competition overall.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Firing a real skating coach so your girlfriend's mother who's not a real skating coach can take over will be why Patrick doesn't win a Gold medal.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Firing a real skating coach so your girlfriend's mother who's not a real skating coach can take over will be why Patrick doesn't win a Gold medal.
Patrick did not fire Christy Krall. She actually left him and he agreed to let her. Now, settling with Kathy Johnson is a whole other issue. If Patrick doesn't land his jumps, then, yes, he won't win the OGM. Michelle nearly won without a "real coach" in 2002, so who's to say Patrick can't? It's a matter of landing the jumps and doing the choreography well on the night. It's not like coaches can be on the ice with skaters during the programs anyway, so in that sense it doesn't matter who sits with them in the kiss and cry. We shall see if he will be able to bring his best on the night. I pray that all the skaters skate well in Sochi.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick did not fire Christy Krall. She actually left him and he agreed to let her. Now, settling with Kathy Johnson is a whole other issue. If Patrick doesn't land his jumps, then, yes, he won't win the OGM. Michelle nearly won without a "real coach" in 2002, so who's to say Patrick can't? It's a matter of landing the jumps and doing the choreography well on the night. It's not like coaches can be on the ice with skaters during the programs anyway, so in that sense it doesn't matter who sits with them in the kiss and cry. We shall see if he will be able to bring his best on the night. I pray that all the skaters skate well in Sochi.

But it helps to have a coach who knows jump technique and how to correct it. I don't know how exactly Kathy Johnson helps with Patrick's skating.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

Multiple quads, high levels, and good transitions are a lot to ask for. We saw a lot of top level skaters implode late last season because of how demanding these new programs and training regiments were. Patrick has about a year's headstart on his competitors for skating post-Vancouver COP programs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Patrick did not fire Christy Krall. She actually left him and he agreed to let her.

My understanding was that Krall decided to part ways with Chan AFTER he informed her that he planned to reduce her role on his team. He no longer wanted her as his primary coach.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
But it helps to have a coach who knows jump technique and how to correct it. I don't know how exactly Kathy Johnson helps with Patrick's skating.
That is very true. I agree wholeheartedly. I was mainly responding to the assertion that Patrick fired Christy Krall, which he did not. I am very curious as to how this season will unfold for Patrick. Last season was almost painful to watch. It seems like Patrick is more or less directing his own skating nowadays. Only time will tell if this was ultimately the right way to go, in terms of whether he wins the OGM or not. The Olympics will be a nail biter, that's for sure. So many men are in contention for the podium.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was mainly responding to the assertion that Patrick fired Christy Krall, which he did not.

You and I posted at almost exactly the same second.
Chan did not fire Krall, but one could say that he did not give her a vote of confidence as his head coach.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
My understanding was that Krall decided to part ways with Chan AFTER he informed her that he planned to reduce her role on his team. He no longer wanted her as his primary coach.
Hmm, that's interesting. Whatever happened, Patrick wasn't happy going into 2012 Worlds. I just hope Patrick can be happy with how he skates this year EVEN IF he doesn't win the OGM. It's going to be a dog fight if everybody skates relatively well. I do not envy the judges. ;)