Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can Patrick Chan cope with the pressure of Olympic favouritism?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Oh, come on, there is no chance this man won't win the gold medal. I'm with pangtongfan. He's got a fall cushion like nobody else I've ever seen.

IF he falls/makes mistakes than once and still wins, and figure skating garnishes enough attention from the mainstream media and the casual fans get upset, I predict a new or revamped judging system. IF he skates clean, good for him, he'll deserve it.

wallylutz

Medalist
Krall was right for him at the time but whatever happened, everyone has moved on, with Patrick winning another World Championships the following season. Not to discredit her but Krall has not had a champion before or after Patrick, which means a skater's success is not entirely determined by the coach.

Ironically, Krall is at Skate Canada at the moment with her student, Joshua Farris who had the second to last TES in the SP by messing up several jumps. Can we then infer Josh Farris doesn't have a real coach because he is not landing those jumps?

Another interesting factoid is that Patrick Chan's PCS has really skyrocketed under Kathy Johnson's influence. His PCS have become not only higher but they are also somewhat consistent across competitions, whether it's good skate or bad. That's actually quite a bit more valuable to a skater strategically given how variable TES can be.

As far as Chan's jumps are concerned, they are fine. The quality of his jumps have not significantly changed over the past few years, he still get very good GOE when he lands them. As for errors, men's skating seems to be going through a period where we are seeing more and more mistakes, likely due to increased risk taking. Some of it seem to be psychological. In any event, it is unlikely that any "technical coach" can do much about this.

Finally, skaters will assemble a team that they feel most comfortable with. Kathy Johnson being Patrick Chan's girlfriend's mother may seem like an awkward or uncomfortable choice for some - just imagine how some people cringe when the word "mother-in-law" is mentioned. The fact is, everyone is different. Some skaters are coached by parents or siblings and some others want nothing but completely unrelated people on their coaching team. Hard to say there is one formula that works for everyone.

There are benefits to surround yourself with independent advisors as well as having people who are emotionally invested in you. When you look at Hanyu, who sacrificed his comfortable entourage in Japan to move to Canada to live and train with 2 respected independent advisors - not sure it's working out for him. Many people have remarked that he seemed to have regressed so far compared to last season - a somewhat shocking development considering at his young age, he should progress not regress. Midori Ito's coach, Machiko Yamada, was practically her 2nd mother. Ito lived with her coach & family since she was a child. After she started to show incredible talent, many U.S. coaches have invited her to go train in the U.S., something she knew was not going to happen. I can't imagine Ito doing well leaving her comfortable entourage and go to the U.S. Asada tried to train with foreign coaches abroad, it really didn't work well for her and being homesick is cited as an issue.

It seems to me, if some people are keen to find fault with Patrick Chan, there is really no lack of excuse in order to camouflage from the hater label.

Matilda

Medalist
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00007980.htm

It would help to get the correct information first. ISU reported that Chan has a coach and even listed her name and no, it's not just a name that the ISU took from the phone book and randomly put it there either.

I think what people mean in saying Chan doesn't have a coach is that Kathy Johnson is not a technical coach. Her background is in modern dance, and she came to figure skating only after her own daughter started skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yeah, the GP will play a huge role in his set-up to Sochi. That being said, you don't need to have a great GP season as long as you can get it together for Olympics/Worlds (see Denis Ten).

If Dennis had a great GP season he might have been WC. It certainly would have helped improve his SP marks.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
No, the griping won't stop. I have learnt from skating forums that whinging, howling, feet stomping, biitching, conspiracy theories are all very closely associated with this sport (unfortunately) ;) Who knows who the next target will be when Patrick retires. Will see. :biggrin:

A quote from a former elite skater: When you are up there, they will try to bring you down.
Sad but true. It happens in every sport, not just in figure skating. Which former elite skater said that (although they probably would all say that if you asked them)?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Fact checking:

1. Patrick has a coach, who originally gave him the epiphany to land quads overnight, and he also consults with various experts and get inspirations from different champion athletes. He is always observing and seeking advice whenever he has a chance. E.g. He associates with Browning and Buttler, and the first time he met Stojko, he consulted him.

2. While "coachless", Patrick podiumed at every competition he entered and ending the season with another Worlds title with a world record. IOW, he was the most successful Men skater in the world during this "coachless" period even with more and more skaters raising their standards.

Krall was right for him at the time but whatever happened, everyone has moved on, with Patrick winning another World Championships the following season. Not to discredit her but Krall has not had a champion before or after Patrick, which means a skater's success is not entirely determined by the coach.

Facts are not personal opinions and judgements, such as who is not a coach and who should win a competition. Who here giving all the criticisms and advice is qualified to coach a World Champion? And knows more than Patrick and his team including his family and Skate Canada, about him and his training? Obviously online armchair coaches don't know what qualifies a coach or an adviser to a top athlete.
YES!!! If fans want to get mad at anyone, they should get mad at the JUDGES, who are the ones responsible for giving out the scores. It's not Patrick's fault if he doesn't skate perfectly and yet still wins. He skates his programs and then the JUDGES place him where they will. He has been in the mix for six seasons now, and even though he has rarely been perfect, he's always done enough to stay in the mix. That is highly commendable.

Ironically, Krall is at Skate Canada at the moment with her student, Joshua Farris who had the second to last TES in the SP by messing up several jumps. Can we then infer Josh Farris doesn't have a real coach because he is not landing those jumps?

Another interesting factoid is that Patrick Chan's PCS has really skyrocketed under Kathy Johnson's influence. His PCS have become not only higher but they are also somewhat consistent across competitions, whether it's good skate or bad. That's actually quite a bit more valuable to a skater strategically given how variable TES can be.

As far as Chan's jumps are concerned, they are fine. The quality of his jumps have not significantly changed over the past few years, he still get very good GOE when he lands them. As for errors, men's skating seems to be going through a period where we are seeing more and more mistakes, likely due to increased risk taking. Some of it seem to be psychological. In any event, it is unlikely that any "technical coach" can do much about this.

Finally, skaters will assemble a team that they feel most comfortable with. Kathy Johnson being Patrick Chan's girlfriend's mother may seem like an awkward or uncomfortable choice for some - just imagine how some people cringe when the word "mother-in-law" is mentioned. The fact is, everyone is different. Some skaters are coached by parents or siblings and some others want nothing but completely unrelated people on their coaching team. Hard to say there is one formula that works for everyone.

There are benefits to surround yourself with independent advisors as well as having people who are emotionally invested in you. When you look at Hanyu, who sacrificed his comfortable entourage in Japan to move to Canada to live and train with 2 respected independent advisors - not sure it's working out for him. Many people have remarked that he seemed to have regressed so far compared to last season - a somewhat shocking development considering at his young age, he should progress not regress. Midori Ito's coach, Machiko Yamada, was practically her 2nd mother. Ito lived with her coach & family since she was a child. After she started to show incredible talent, many U.S. coaches have invited her to go train in the U.S., something she knew was not going to happen. I can't imagine Ito doing well leaving her comfortable entourage and go to the U.S. Asada tried to train with foreign coaches abroad, it really didn't work well for her and being homesick is cited as an issue.

It seems to me, if some people are keen to find fault with Patrick Chan, there is really no lack of excuse in order to camouflage from the hater label.
Thank you, wallylutz, for that reasonable, well-thought-out post! I agree with everything you wrote!

I think it is more a matter of expecting more from the champion than from the rest of the field. We hold Patrick to a higher standard and nit-pick his bobbles because he is the torch bearer (perhaps literally so. come Sochi :) ).

spikydurian

Medalist
I think it is more a matter of expecting more from the champion than from the rest of the field. We hold Patrick to a higher standard and nit-pick his bobbles because he is the torch bearer (perhaps literally so. come Sochi :) ).
Patrick has learnt from his Vancouver experience that when you try to meet expectations, you put unbearable pressure on yourself. Skate for yourself is his motto now. And I agree. Try pleasing everyone you end up pleasing no one.;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Whew, so far so good. How many seasons had Patrick had no fall in first GP event this early season? I can't even recall. Even though he has doubled a few jumps, he will be better and better as season goes. Congratulations, Patrick!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am a new and impassioned fan of Patrick's. I truly think if he has a great performance in Sochi, he could turn the world back on to skating. He is so extraordinary. I saw his allure and appeal to non-skating fans today when the three "men" in my house fell in love with his skating.

Have any of you seen this video about his team/training process? Excellent. But now he does not have Krall. Does he have Shipstead anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBUMs9kkk8

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am a new and impassioned fan of Patrick's. I truly think if he has a great performance in Sochi, he could turn the world back on to skating. He is so extraordinary. I saw his allure and appeal to non-skating fans today when the three "men" in my house fell in love with his skating.

Have any of you seen this video about his team/training process? Excellent. But now he does not have Krall. Does he have Shipstead anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKBUMs9kkk8

you are not alone, I was also completely, unprepared blew away by Patrick's SP when I watched him live in London.

That been said, I do feel that tv or pc screen can not transport the magic of Patrick's skating quality properly. I also love to hear the sound of his blades while he is skating, so harmonious like music....

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
I am a new and impassioned fan of Patrick's. I truly think if he has a great performance in Sochi, he could turn the world back on to skating. He is so extraordinary.

Delusional and ignorant. He can barely afford training despite being multiple world champions. Nobody outside the skating circule knows who Patrick is precisely because the constant overscoring/chaninflation.

bekalc

Record Breaker
One thing is for sure, a lot of people will be furious if Chan wins the Olympic gold medal.:biggrin:

Not necessarily it depends on how he wins Olympic Gold. If he wins Olympic Gold like he won worlds last year, people will be furious, if he wins like he won his first world title, nobody will complain.
e
I don't dispute he's the best skater in the world. I just don't like seeing him win with sloppy programs. I think in the end, it doesn't encourage him to fix his issues.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Not necessarily it depends on how he wins Olympic Gold. If he wins Olympic Gold like he won worlds last year, people will be furious, if he wins like he won his first world title, nobody will complain. e
I don't dispute he's the best skater in the world. I just don't like seeing him win with sloppy programs. I think in the end, it doesn't encourage him to fix his issues.

This is just not true. Many have been saying that Kozuka should have been the one who won the 2011 Worlds, not Chan.

bekalc

Record Breaker
This is just not true. Many have been saying that Kozuka should have been the one who won the 2011 Worlds, not Chan.

No people thought maybe Kozuka should have won the free. There's a difference. I thought maybe the PCS should have been closer, but nobody disputes Chan's win.