2013 Skate Canada practice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate Canada practice

Sara

On the Ice
I like Gracie's skating but that SP music is just horrible. My reaction would probably be even stronger if I saw her live, now at least I'm able to reduce the volume. The strings sound really annoying.

All those reactions to Gold's music, saying it's 'horrible' (it's Gershwin!!!), are part of the reason why the vast majority of Ladies skate so bland, safe and overused GFB stuff. :slink:

Wow Patrick had a really rough practice. Tough time landing most jumps in and out of the program. Fell just stroking and doing some turns. I wonder if he's completely well. Mike Slipchuk was coaching him at the boards with Kathy Johnson.

This is what happens when you don't have a coach. :slink:

Sara

On the Ice
All those reactions to Gold's music, saying it's 'horrible' (it's Gershwin!!!), are part of the reason why the vast majority of Ladies skate so bland, safe and overused GFB stuff. :slink:

This is what happens when you don't have a coach. :slink:

Well, it might be Gershwin(!!!) but imo, Three Preludes is not a nice piece of music. IMO.

Kelly

On the Ice
Gershwin is good but Gracie's skating skills and maturity can not match the sophistication of the music. That's why the music choice seems odd. But maybe it will get better and better as the season goes.

The original piano version would have been safer. But we'll see. Already I like it better than the first time out.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Which S/B? Maybe we better start using full names too many acronyms - we are assuming too much. I just can't remember which team is using Hansel and Gretal

Yes please... I don't know most of the pairs and dance skaters even with full names :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Which S/B? Maybe we better start using full names too many acronyms - we are assuming too much. I just can't remember which team is using Hansel and Gretal

Stepanova/Bukin do their FD to Hansel and Gretal

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU World rankings are a joke. I mean c'mon Viktoria Helgesson is ranked 5th in the world?

A.H.Black

Final Flight

The problem with Gracie's music is not the subject matter or the composer. She can pick whatever music she wants. The problem is that the music is screeeeechy. Having seen/heard her in person in Salt Lake, I can say it is very screechy live. It is difficult to appreciate what a skater is doing on the ice if you are having physical difficulties listening to the music and keep wanting to cover your ears. I imagine the judges will have the same difficulty.

I don't know if a good audio editor could help, but someone on her team needs to try.

A.H.Black

Final Flight

I don't bother to read posts that use initials. I'm too old and too muddle-headed to try. It takes too much time and effort. I always appreciate those who take the time and trouble to use names.

happyskate6

Rinkside
:thumbsup: A piano version without strings would be much better.

You mean the version that Gershwin actually wrote? Yes. I totally agree.

Gracie is such a lovely skater. It is a shame so many people are having trouble with her music.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok I know I'm in the minority but I really like Gracie's music. I like the violin and piano interplay and how facile the violin is though I am no musician to be sure. I also like the choreo but I think Gracie is not quite up to the task yet. She's going through the motions and looking cute enough at times but well she looks kind of juniorish. I think as she starts to get more comfortable with the program it will work. Akiko is someone who really feels the music and interprets well. Back to Gracie what's up with her jumps?

katymay

Medalist
I like "out there" and different musical selections-I am sick to death of Carmen et. al. However, Gold's music, even though it might 'grow on me' in time-just can't stomach it. Perhaps a piano version might be better...but if the music is distracting and not pleasing to the ears...I dunno. Compare this to Ashley's Pink Floyd-different and NOT annoying. In an Olympic year, why take the chance?

Selene

On the Ice
All those reactions to Gold's music, saying it's 'horrible' (it's Gershwin!!!), are part of the reason why the vast majority of Ladies skate so bland, safe and overused GFB stuff :

The problem isn't the musical selection, but the specific performance and musical cut. The screechy, repetitive violins hurt my ears. It's not a pleasant rendition of Gershwin.

Back to Gracie what's up with her jumps?

They dont't look good at all. She looks very thin in the videos. I wonder if she's lost weight and power, too.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The problem isn't the musical selection, but the specific performance and musical cut. The screechy, repetitive violins hurt my ears. It's not a pleasant rendition of Gershwin.

She looks very thin in the videos, like she's lost weight, and her power, too.

Yes actually, I am concerned about her weight and am surprised by the people saying she looks better. She doesn't, she looks the same amount good as before, just thinner. It's not like she had a weight problem for the ove of God.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It looked like the SP was just a "mark it" kind of skate through - she didn't put full power into the in-betweens

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It looked like the SP was just a "mark it" kind of skate through - she didn't put full power into the in-betweens

Also Sylvia noted that she landed several 3Z-3T and 2A-3Ts afterward. Ultimately, what matters is whether she put the work at home and can put it together later on today.