Gracie Gold’s Gershwin SP music | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold’s Gershwin SP music

This is what Gracie’s Preludes music is supposed to sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMJRINJNTo

This is the arrangement for violin and piano by Jascha Heifetz of Gershwin’s piano score (performed here by Heifetz himself). I think the problem is that an ice skating rink is not a concert hall. The acoustics of the building and the quality of the sound system make music like this a risk.

That said, I find that I like Gracie’s music more each time I hear it – perhaps because I can hear it better as it becomes more familiar to me.

Comments?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The first time I watched her skate to this music I thought it was awful. But it starts to grow on me, actually:eek:

anthologyz

Rinkside
i think this sp music is a much better vehicle than "sleeping beauty." the lightning quickness of the tempo actually disguises some of the weaknesses of her style, which i still find to be coltish at this stage of her career.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm liking Gold's music fine. Perhaps a little screechy in a few places but thankfully not an overused warhorse. Energetic and bouncy.

CarneAsada

Medalist
This is what Gracie’s Preludes music is supposed to sound like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMJRINJNTo

This is the arrangement for violin and piano by Jascha Heifetz of Gershwin’s piano score (performed here by Heifetz himself). I think the problem is that an ice skating rink is not a concert hall. The acoustics of the building and the quality of the sound system make music like this a risk.

That said, I find that I like Gracie’s music more each time I hear it – perhaps because I can hear it better as it becomes more familiar to me.

Comments?

I love Gershwin's 3 Preludes. Both the solo piano version and Heifetz's arrangement. An ice skating rink is of course not a concert hall and for a violin-piano arrangement, there's the risk of sounding screechy. However, either Gracie is using a different arrangement or the violinist is significantly changing ("building on"?) Heifetz's work, and I'm not sure I liked the differences. Heifetz certainly did not take such liberties, but in jazz, improvisation is acceptable or even required. Maybe Gracie's use of this 3 Preludes mishmash will grow on me over time.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If Gracie's SP music sounded like the link given here, it would be fine. But it doesn't. She is skating to an entirely different orchestration.

Another problem with Gracie's music is that parts of it are so fast that it is literally impossible to skate to. You can not humanly move in time with the music she has selected, and she doesn't. Look at Gracie's program, at the 2:06 mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGmi2UjnBeE&t=2m

The music is swirling with such piercing intensity and she is just doing generic sensual moves. It doesn't match the music at all, which makes it that much worse to listen to and watch.