Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Wow, Jeremy had a quad in SP, fully rotated, and didn't fall? That's great! Looks like Jeremy is ambitious this season. 88.10 in SP in the first GP event? Not bad for Patrick!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It just shows that everyone needs train for a 3Toe-3Toe combo if they end up missing a rotation on their Quad. If you do only a solo 3Toe, then you can only do a 2Toe in your combination, which really kills your score.

Wow, Jeremy had a quad in SP, fully rotated, and didn't fall? That's great!

He had NO transitions going into it, which is required for solo jump in the SP. He should have received -2 GOE for it. He got very lucky that a lot of the judges still seem to forget about this rule.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
We're not talking about casual skating fans. We're talking about the judges who should have seen what was obvious and that Chan had a visible error to anyone who watched the program.

What visible error of Patrick's that the judges didn't give him enough deduction?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think Patrick might have downgraded his 4T upon noticing he was too close to the board and didn't want to repeat the clashing at the same event before. I wonder if it might be an option to do the quad anyway and tack the 3T to the 3Lz later. Of course, I realize there was no time to strategize.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Patrick might have downgraded his 4T upon noticing he was too close to the board and didn't want to repeat the clashing at the same event before. I wonder if it might be an option to do the quad anyway and tack the 3T to the 3Lz later. Of course, I realize there was no time to strategize.

That might be the reason for the first 3T. I don't think Patrick has ever prepared in training to move the second 3T anywhere other than tackled behind 4T. He has singled out the 3T behind the 4T in SP once last year and received penalty for that. At least this time, he didn't receive penalty.

SGrand

Final Flight
They just re-showed Patricks SP and I have to say, it seems as though he has really worked hard on this program. He basically hit every note and went along with the music, something I think he went in and out of last year. I realize this is a repeat SP for him and he achieved a WR at worlds last season (so there is obviously a comfort level), but he looked to feel the music more and let it take him instead of trying to force anything. I just really enjoyed this performance and am hoping he can keep his calm and just enjoy skating this season.
Excited for the LP and am hoping for some stellar performances today!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That might be the reason for the first 3T. I don't think Patrick has ever prepared in training to move the second 3T anywhere other than tackled behind 4T. He has singled out the 3T behind the 4T in SP once last year and received penalty for that. At least this time, he didn't receive penalty.

I believe he has, when the 4T is not solid enough. He can do this because he has footwork into both the quad and the later triple. Point wise, it is even smarter to do a 4T and a 3/3 later for the bonus. But a 4/3 at the start of a program has the WOW factor even if such combo is not appropriately rewarded under the current scoring system.

David21

On the Ice
What visible error of Patrick's that the judges didn't give him enough deduction?

I explained that already in my post. He stepped out of his jump combo and had a messy landing. He should have gotten -2s for it, but he got -1s for that element from the majority of the judges. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I explained that already in my post. He stepped out of his jump combo and had a messy landing. He should have gotten -2s for it, but he got -1s for that element from the majority of the judges. :)

How do you know he didn't receive -2 becaue of that particular fault you have pointed out? It might be that he received some +GOEs from other perspective of this combo element which reduced his total negative GOEs. Unless the judges show the public their marks on every single bullet point of an element, I don't think we truly know where the GOE marks came from. Even the judges have different opinions. If you were the judge on there, I'm sure that you'd have given -2. But you are only one of the nine judges in the judging panel.

David21

On the Ice
How do you know he didn't receive -2 becaue of that particular fault you have pointed out? It might be that he received some +GOEs from other perspective of this combo element which reduced his total negative GOEs.

Well, you're free to tell me which parts of that jump combo were so great that he should not have received a -2 for it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He had NO transitions going into it, which is required for solo jump in the SP. He should have received -2 GOE for it. He got very lucky that a lot of the judges still seem to forget about this rule.

Here is the rule for solo jump in SP:

- a jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements:
Senior Men - any triple or a quadruple jump

Probably depends on where it is "immediately preceded by connecting steps". I think for a quad jump, the judges will probably give a little more space between the connecting steps and the jump.

David21 said:
Well, you're free to tell me which parts of that jump combo were so great that he should not have received a -2 for it

The judges might have thought that it had good height and distance (almost too much distance ;) ),and that it matched the musical structure; Even, despite the step-back, that it had good flow throughout, especially between the two jumps.

They might also have thought that it wasn't really much of an error in the first place. He was too close to the boards, so he had to swing a little wider on the second jump. He was never seriously off balance, as is the usual case when skaters save a jump landing with a step out.

I think a minus 1 is OK.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think for a quad jump, the judges might probably give a little more space between the connecting steps and the jump.

Then they are judging poorly because that's not how it works.

Jeremy had 0 connecting movements going into his Quad, so that is -3 GOE right there. The quad itself was +1 quality, so overall it should have been scored as -2 GOE.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Then they are judging poorly because that's not how it works.

Jeremy had 0 connecting movements going into his Quad, so that is -3 GOE right there. The quad itself was +1 quality, so overall it should have been scored as -2 GOE.

I am not sure if Jeremy's quad has been given minus GOEs for that. Generally speaking, a quad jump needs more time and distance to "precede". So that is a longer preceding.

^ IMHO this is an issue on which the judges often bend or ignore the rules. To me, there are a lot of solo jumps in short programs where you have to bend over backward to detect any immediately preceding steps and turns.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Most quads in the SP are done as combos because most skaters can't do footwork into their quads. That's a reason why it's hard to include a quad in the SP. Sometimes the second jump is missed due to the not so solid quad and the skater tacks it after the later solo jump. This may disqualify the quad as the solo jump with the required preceding footwork but it seems sometimes the tech panel relaxes on what constitute footwork in such situations.

spikydurian

Medalist
Most quads in the SP are done as combos because most skaters can't do footwork into their quads. That's a reason why it's hard to include a quad in the SP. Sometimes the second jump is missed due to the not so solid quad and the skater tacks it after the later solo jump. This may disqualify the quad as the solo jump with the required preceding footwork but it seems sometimes the tech panel relaxes on what constitute footwork in such situations.

Thanks SF. This comment is more useful and enlightening than "you don't know the rules". :)

emdee

Final Flight
The judges might have thought that it had good height and distance (almost too much distance ;) ),and that it matched the musical structure; Even, despite the step-back, that it had good flow throughout, especially between the two jumps.

They might also have thought that it wasn't really much of an error in the first place. He was too close to the boards, so he had to swing a little wider on the second jump. He was never seriously off balance, as is the usual case when skaters save a jump landing with a step out.

I think a minus 1 is OK.
This was exactly what it was. The jump was on my side of the rink so I got a clear view. He landed fine then had to swing away in order not to hit the boards.