Oh Oh - This is Scary | Golden Skate

Oh Oh - This is Scary

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is rather alarming:

Long-Time User of Hair Dye? Scary News

Women who have used hair dye for 24 years or more have a higher risk of developing a cancer called non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Reuters reports of new research from the Yale University School of Medicine. But do note this: There was no increased risk of cancer for women who started using hair dye in 1980 or later, since it was in that year that many carcinogens were removed from some hair dye formulas.

The results of the Yale study of 1,300 women--600 who had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, or NHL, and 700 who were healthy--do answer one question that has stumped doctors: Why has there been a rise in the number of lymphatic system cancer cases since the mid-1970s? The researchers determined that women who started dying their hair before 1980 were one-third more likely to develop NHL. In addition, those who used the darkest dyes for more than 25 years were twice as likely to develop the cancer, reports Reuters of the study. Even so, it's important to note that anyone's risk of developing NHL is very low--even when the risk is doubled, according to cancer experts. About 54,000 Americans will develop NHL this year, and 19,000 will die from it.

Study leader Yawei Zhang wrote in the American Journal of Epidemiology that women who have been dying their hair since 1980 were not at an increased risk of cancer. "Hair coloring products have undergone tremendous change over the last 20 years," he wrote. "Since 1980, many carcinogens have been removed from some formulas, which vary depending on whether the dye is permanent, semi-permanent, darker, or lighter." Another researcher who participated in the study, Yawei Zhang, had a slightly different take: "This could reflect the change in hair dye formula contents over the past two decades or indicate that recent users are still in their induction and latent period."

I may just grow gray gracefully!!!!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, guess I'm in trouble. Although I started with Loving Care, it developed into stronger stuff. I wouldn't bother but for a while I didn't color it and then started again and everyone thought I must have been feeling better. (Had been sick) Decided I would rather not look so sick.:laugh: I'm one of those that has that ugly gray stuff.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Grgranny:

well, I did not start dyeing my hair routinely until about the eighties - so maybe I am okay. There is no way I am going to go around with gray hair!!!

I'll die with my auburn locks.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I'm lucky, my parents didn't go gray till their late 40's (not even a single gray hair!) so I am hoping that trend continues! Most of my friends started going gray in their 20's and now dye their hair regularly to keep out the grays. Hopefully the products are safer nowadays!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I first began coloring my hair in high school when I went from a dark blonde to a much lighter color.....that was off and on and now I lighten my hair about once a month (but didn't start coloring my hair seriously until the early 90's.........) I hope that's good news for me, but life's a "roll of the dice" anyway I guess................:( 42