Pairs Long Program- Skate Canada 2013 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program- Skate Canada 2013

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So, the Italian pair is first one in to GPF?? Can't remember they are in 4th or 5th at SA. S/H will need a silver or bronze at COC. Not sure they are facing the german pair or canadian pair again.

No they are not guarantees as they finished 5th at SA
I mean it depends on the stacking results of the mentioned skaters who can do or not do well in their GP events

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I'm sort of tired of the women in Rockne's pairs teams always taking the blame. I'm not saying that Rockne isn't a beautiful skater, but....

What is Italy's best male skater? I'm thinking Italy has a good dance, good pair, and great female skater for the team event at the Olympics...

sadly, they don't have any decend male skater. The gold and silver will be between US or Canada, and the rest challenging for bronze.

tulosai

Record Breaker
So, the Italian pair is first one in to GPF?? Can't remember they are in 4th or 5th at SA. S/H will need a silver or bronze at COC. Not sure they are facing the german pair or canadian pair again.

They are definitely not guaranteed a spot in the GPF. In terms of tiebreaking the 1st place may help them but there are really only 4 spots available (VT and SS are in) and it is very very likely that 4 teams will get a better combined placement than them to make it in.

bekalc

Record Breaker
They are definitely not guaranteed a spot in the GPF. In terms of tiebreaking the 1st place may help them but there are really only 4 spots available (VT and SS are in) and it is very very likely that 4 teams will get a better combined placement than them to make it in.

I don't know how we can say V/T or S/S are in. S/S haven't even skated yet. Yes if all skate well they are in but you never know what could happen.

bekalc

Record Breaker
sadly, they don't have any decend male skater. The gold and silver will be between US or Canada, and the rest challenging for bronze.

I think Russia has chance depending on how Plushenko is and/or If Kocian? who is young, can improve. I am not fully 100% on Osmond she's talented but in experienced. And the US doesn't have a great pairs team or truly a great male team either. IF Osmond gets better, I do see Canada as the faves.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 193.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 193.77 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 190.62 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) - 159.82 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) - 158.83 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) - 153.71 Free Skate
7. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 149.59 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 131.39 Free Skate

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Just watched D/R's program. It's not as bad as some of you with biased mind described. The choregraphy is quite good. There was not many visible mistake. They're quite fast and exciting to watch. The booing may be partially justifiable?

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Just watched D/R's program. It's not as bad as some of you with biased mind described. The choregraphy is quite good. There was not many visible mistake. They're quite fast and exciting to watch. The booing may be partially justifiable?

I just saw it, too. I actually quite like it! Their SP left me lukewarm, but I think this is quite good.

I don't think they should have won or anything (they did have technical mistakes...that lift error in particular was a big mistake). But considering their performance quality and the fact that their jump errors weren't so visible/obvious, I'd call the crowd's reaction understandable. Mistaken, but understandable.

bekalc

Record Breaker

They aborted a lift, and were scored five points higher on PCS than the winning team and about 7/8 points higher than the silver medalists. The booing isn't justifiable. don't know how anyone couldn't see the lift wasn't a mistake.

And as for performance quality, I don't see them particularly special performance wise. I think the Italians are by far the more polished team.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
this isn't the first time though, it happens almost in every event
remember Worlds 2013 ?

this issue needs to be addressed skating in Canada

:rofl: As the current dominant figure skating country in the world, Canadians are no doubt passionate about their skaters & booed scoring they didn't understand. At SA, even if there were a boo, no one would have heard it because there were only about 10 people in the audience.;)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
:rofl: As the current dominant figure skating country in the world, Canadians are no doubt passionate about their skaters & booed scoring they didn't understand. At SA, even if there were a boo, no one would have heard it because there were only about 10 people in the audience.;)

Yeah, and they don't just do it for Canadian skaters, either. I was at an Skate Canada quite some years ago, and there was this very charismatic Italian men's skater who was a real ham but couldn't land any jumps. There was some pretty hearty booing for his marks. Lucinda Ruh skated beautifully, but didn't get very high marks because she didn't do the more difficult triples (she just did toe and sal), and her marks were booed, too. If a skater really pleases the crowd and gets low marks, they boo. It's not just about wanting Canadian skaters to win (although they certainly get enthused when that does happen).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gee, wasn't some audience booing in Nice hailed as the righteous voice of reason and truth from the people which should be taken seriously and abided by the ISU?

In either case, these boos cannot hold a candle to the loud and incessant ones by some posters right here who did the hailing and now the renouncing of the booing. Obviously it all depends on who are doing the booing and who are being booed, to be approved or disapproved according to their personal sentiments aka biases.

elif

Medalist
Gee, wasn't some audience booing in Nice hailed as the righteous voice of reason and truth from the people which should be taken seriously and abided by the ISU?

In either case, these boos cannot hold a candle to the loud and incessant ones by some posters right here who did the hailing and now the renouncing of the booing. Obviously it all depends on who are doing the booing and who are being booed, to be approved or disapproved according to their personal sentiments aka biases.
In Nice people booing for better performance. This is just nationalism.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I didn't really like any of these Long Programs. I would score them the same as my rankings for the SP: 1. Italians, 2. Canadians, 3. Chinese

I felt the Canadians were screwed over with the < call on the Lutz and the Chinese were overscored on their jump combination - they get SO far apart and out of sync.

In terms of PCS the Canadians had the best skating skills, Chinese had the best choreography (although the interpretation was too simplistic), Italians had the best performance.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
And as for performance quality, I don't see them particularly special performance wise. I think the Italians are by far the more polished team.

You're not the judge so your opinion does not carry much water. It's quite annoying you keep nagging on the same old, same old. How magic those Russians are... ET would never grow because her parents were short, blah, blah. Just stop it already.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You're not the judge so your opinion does not carry much water. It's quite annoying you keep nagging on the same old, same old. How magic those Russians are... ET would never grow because her parents were short, blah, blah. Just stop it already.

ET hasn't grown that much and still has her jumps! There's something to be said for looking at the parents! No I'm not a judge, but I'm entitled to find D/R not super great. There's something awkward about Megan, especially how she lands the jumps and the throws. I like Radford a lot though.

And for the record, I vastly prefer V/m to D/W.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
ET hasn't grown that much and still has her jumps! There's something to be said for looking at the parents! No I'm not a judge, but I'm entitled to find D/R not super great. There's something awkward about Megan, especially how she lands the jumps and the throws. I like Radford a lot though.

And for the record, I vastly prefer V/m to D/W.

I feel bad for the kid you jinxed... She wasn't that great but you kept on telling the world she would be magic... Her outlook is pretty dim with sloppy skating skills, heavy body type..

bekalc

Record Breaker
I feel bad for the kid you jinxed... She wasn't that great but you kept on telling the world she would be magic... Her outlook is pretty dim with sloppy skating skills, heavy body type..

I am not as high on her as I once was. As for her out look she seems to have more power in her skating now...The jumps are still there, its just the lack of artistry that's an issue. That was always a concern with Mishin.

And for the record this is about Canadian fans booing when their team made a pretty big error and yes a lift is an error. I said that I don't think D/R as polished as the Italian team but I will admit that I can't see them live to see who has the better skating skills.

How much more PCS does the Canadians think this team are warranted. Because there are frankly things about D/R's skating that don't put them at the same level as S/S or V/T. Five almost six points is a significant PCS advantage especially one the other team was perfect and frankly more polished.