Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013

Art&Sport

Medalist
She is getting generous PCS from judges. Her problem is she isn't landing her jumps.

You mean consistently? Well, the season is just getting started, just like Gracie's career. And, apparebtly Gracie did land her jumps in the sp. Look at Carolina K after all and how many years it took her to deal with the pressure and reign in her speed and perfect her technique. And Carolina is still a work in progress in some of those aspects. I must say tho' it was pretty predictable that Gracie would falter under the pressure to skate well in the lp here. With Frank at her side, maybe she'll chalk it up to experience and actually learn how to perform flawlessly with nerves and butterflies. Hey, what say you now, Phil Hersh?! :laugh: Ashley's got silver with two consistent skates, and Gracie's got bronze with one good skate under her belt so far.

I think Akiko is underrated quite often and should have been the winner here. It's not just what the skaters do on the ice. It's all about perception, reputation, politics, and what you do on the ice, and sometimes the luck of the draw. This is figure skating. If there's this many variations in preferences and likes and dislikes among fans, imagine among judges, federations, ISU with the politics thrown in for good measure.

Since the Olympics is in Sochi, I'd say Julia Lip has a great chance to medal. Hopefully, all the top skaters will give her a run for her Schindler's List money.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Whoever edited Akiko's music, the skaters should flock to him/her. I don't think I have ever heard a program as seamlessly put together as that in my entire history of watching skating. Never thought I would see a program that is put together better musically than even Michelle's.

badknees

Medalist
Gracie's only problem is that she missed some of her jumps. There' s no need to start over with anything. She can win with this program and this choreography.

There's more to choreography than arms, she needs transitions and more movement between jumps that goes with the music. I guess I'm just an old Kwan fan who wants to see understanding of the music with movement. I love Akiko for this.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Julia's programm was great. Actually, it improved since Finlandia Trophy, so I guess they are going to try to improve it from start to start. My prays have been successful! Get it, girl!

Akiko -- I loved the turning falling leaf. :love: Did she end facing the wrong direction, then had to turn around, or was it choreographed that way? :laugh: :thumbsup:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Both Akiko and Julia had first rate performances, well done ladies!

I liked Courtney Hicks LP much better than her SP.

Congrats to the Medalists!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Whoever edited Akiko's music, the skaters should flock to him/her. I don't think I have ever heard a program as seamlessly put together as that in my entire history of watching skating. Never thought I would see a program that is put together better musically than even Michelle's.

Really? I think the music change after the 3Lutz was not a good one.

Akiko -- I loved the turning falling leaf. :love: Did she end facing the wrong direction, then had to turn around, or was it choreographed that way? :laugh: :thumbsup:

Choreographed that way!

James R

Match Penalty
The Gracie haters (and skater haters in general) are utterly disgusting.

Gracie was amazing and captivating as always. A couple mistakes, yep. I was still more interested in her skate than anyone else's. Speed, fluid movement and so much maturity for her age. Can't wait to see the rest of her season!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I was really :jaw: after julia: she deserved to win, no doubt about it, and this program is a big improvement, artistically, for her! So happy for Akiko, though, she's so classy!! :love:

badknees

Medalist
You mean consistently? Well, the season is just getting started, just like Gracie's career. And, apparebtly Gracie did land her jumps in the sp. Look at Carolina K after all and how many years it took her to deal with the pressure and reign in her speed and perfect her technique. And Carolina is still a work in progress in some of those aspects. I must say tho' it was pretty predictable that Gracie would falter under the pressure to skate well in the lp here. With Frank at her side, maybe she'll chalk it up to experience and actually learn how to perform flawlessly with nerves and butterflies. Hey, what say you now, Phil Hersh?! :laugh: Ashley's got silver with two consistent skates, and Gracie's got bronze with

I think Akiko is underrated quite often and should have been the winner here. It's not just what the skaters do on the ice. It's all about perception, reputation, politics, and what you do on the ice, and sometimes the luck of the draw. This is figure skating. If there's this many variations in preferences and likes and dislikes among fans, imagine among judges, federations, ISU with the politics thrown in for good measure.

Since the Olympics is in Sochi, I'd say Julia Lip has a great chance to medal. Hopefully, all the top skaters will give her a run for her Schindler's List money.

What?? Sure. unfortunately it is politics, perception, reputation but only sometimes. If it was all the time, then Kwan would have 2 oly golds. With Kwan it WAS all about what she did on the ice for those 4 minutes. That's the way it should be all the time.

Why does Gracie insist on doing that back spiral into her lutz? I've never seen her hit it.

This. In general, she has a lot of transitions and just skating around between elements that do not add anything much to the program when she misses jumps. She must hit everything or the big crescendo of the program sputters out.