Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just had a feeling when Suzuki got a huge score that Gracie was in trouble then Julia blew the lid off and i knew Gracie would finish 3rd. Right now when she's leading i get the same feeling that i used to get when Mirai had a lead. Until she shows otherwise i'll keep feeling this way.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I kind of expected that from Gracie. I sent a message out yesterday about Gracie skating last with the whole world watching. The hardest positions to skate are first and last. Now Gracie knows what its like. She will be better prepared next time. I'm glad it happen here then at the Olympics.

Gracie is one of those skaters who has to learn to compete. I don't know if she will get it together by February!

Phil Hersh thinks Agnes can challenge someone. According to a source Agnes is planning 1 terrific triple jump for cup of china. I can't wait!

So Phil is now on Agnes bandwagon? Does he have no shame?

Art&Sport

Medalist
So Phil is now on Agnes bandwagon? Does he have no shame?

I think Phil has proven on any number of occasions that he has no shame whatsoever. :laugh: Whoever seems hot to trot, or whoever he eventually decides to suck up to if/ when they become consistent winners.

All skaters/ ahtletes have to learn how to compete Jammers.

Better them than us, eh?

badknees

Medalist
Not true IMHO. So many factors are involved. That's what makes figure skating so complicated and difficult a sport to train, to watch, to compete. IMO, throughout Kwan's career, she constantly had to prove herself because there were political factions that didn't really like the fact she was such a consistent winner. In 1998 (pre Kwan's long run of consistency), the politics from some in U.S. fed and some among ISU judges was more behind someone other than Kwan winning gold, i.e., Lipinski (Kwan's countrywoman). There was even a U.S. headline that famously declared: "American beats Kwan."

The only time politics takes a back seat to some degree is when there's a magical, undeniable performance, a la Brian Boitano 1988. Politically, Brian Orser was favored to win (since Brian O really should have won in 1984 when the politics were behind Scott Hamilton). In 1976, with Carlo Fassi as his coach, John Curry had the politics and the magic in his favor. Prior to 1976 Olympics, John was not an overwhelmingly strong competitor.

And the beat goes on ...

Well. I've been watching for years but naively, innocently thinking that the medals go to who skated the best and got the most points. I know there have always been politics but didn't know it was that invasive throughout the whole sport and for so many years. That's very disillusioning and makes one wonder why anyone goes in for skating. It's supposed to be a sport right? Why can't it be just that?

bramweld

Record Breaker
Clever program from Julia's team. She just needs to add a bit more polish, power and speed. Who will the other Russian lady be :popcorn:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gold didnt skate badly today. She stood up most of her jumps. It wasnt perfect but as another poster said it was a step in the right direction. Combined with her perfect short program it was a good competition for her.

I still find her PCS exceedingly generous though, especialy as her long program this year is not very good.

Lipnitskaia is a lock for the Russian Olympic team. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Good to see Suzuki with a good start to the season, but URs wont get her anywhere near the podium in Sochi. I do think the way she looks Ando's already almost non existent Olympic hopes are officially nothing.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well. I've been watching for years but naively, innocently thinking that the medals go to who skated the best and got the most points. I know there have always been politics but didn't know it was that invasive throughout the whole sport and for so many years. That's very disillusioning and makes one wonder why anyone goes in for skating. It's supposed to be a sport right? Why can't it be just that?

The age-old question die-hard figure skating fans have been asking for years. Partly, it has to do with subjectivity. But the other sticky aspect is the way the sport is run so heavily via poltical factions/ biases.

I don't know the answer, but I wish it was more based on talent, ability and performance on the day. And I wish there were more opportunities for more skaters to compete, and that the sport knew how to promote itself and its stars, clean up the politics, the scoring problems, the negative perceptions, lack of good coverage, etc. Tall order.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Julia's PCS right now is about right for her skating, which has alot of things to improve on still. However I concur if she keeps doing well her PCS will rise significantly, whether deserved or not. Someone like Gold is already getting inflated PCS, so someone like Julia who is far more consistent and will soon be equally or more supported by another strong federation, should be soon as well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
agree, once she keeps her season in good shape
her PCS will be in 63+

Yes. I also think the Russian federation would be wise at this point to start pushing her as their number one instead of wavering whatsoever on that point. I feel at this point, Julia has done enough (and Adelina and Liza have done far far too little) to deserve that and make it a safe and smart move.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I don't think Gracie's performance was "error-filled," Jammers. She skated with a bit more confidence and less tension than usual. She kept smiling, and it wasn't as forced a smile as we've seen from her in the past. The thing about Gracie: she has tremendous talent, she has the looks, the name, and the buzz. So, that's why the coaching change to a proven top level coach who has made talented skaters into champions.

There have always been suspicions about bias and politics in judging. But this event is not a poster child for skullduggery. Lipnitskia skated best, Suzuki second best, Gold third.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAYA (RUS) - 198.23 Free Skate
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 193.75 Free Skate
3. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 186.65
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 173.69
5. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 163.11
6. Courtney HICKS (USA) - 162.00
7. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 145.88
8. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 138.13
WD Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yes. I also think the Russian federation would be wise at this point to start pushing her as their number one instead of wavering whatsoever on that point. I feel at this point, Julia has done enough (and Adelina and Liza have done far far too little) to deserve that and make it a safe and smart move.

But tulosai, Julia is still very young and is still growing if I'm not mistaken. She may indeed escape growing problems, and she seems to have a good temperament and great potential. But what's with the need for "pushing?" Haven't they done too much of that already with Gachinski and Kovtun? For me one of the problems with the sport is the tendency to give young skaters with much promise the world before they actually have the maturity and the experience level to catch up with their talent. Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu to name two. Even Tara Lipinski to a degree (altho' it was more of her pushing herself too much physically). Let's also not forget, guess who: Olympic champion, Oksana Baiul.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

and they are shooting themselves in the foot if they keep on pushing Sotnikova
really ? Sotnikova cannot skate 2 clean programs, ever and her technique is terrible

tulosai

Record Breaker
But tulosai, Julia is still very young and is still growing if I'm not mistaken. She may indeed escape growing problems, and she seems to have a good temperament and great potential. For me tho' one of the problems is giving young skaters with much promise the world before they actually have the maturity and the experience level to catch up with their talent. Let's also not forget, guess who: Olympic champion, Oksana Baiul.

I am not suggesting this as a permanent plan but a plan for this year going forward toward the Olympics and Worlds. She is their number one right now. They should push her to the world as though she is.

flying camel

Medalist
I actually really like Julia's LP. I did not think I would. But she is a little boring. She has the same face until the end of her performance. Maybe that's something she can work on. Russia should be glad to have her. Her jumps were great. She is also confident. She can challenge the top girls for sure.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's more to choreography than arms, she needs transitions and more movement between jumps that goes with the music. I guess I'm just an old Kwan fan who wants to see understanding of the music with movement. I love Akiko for this.

I love Akiko, too. She is my favorite skater. Despite Gracie's deficiencies, at this competition, she could have won if she had hit all her jumps.