Free Dance Skate Canada 2013 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Skate Canada 2013

sweetskates1

Medalist
I didn't know that.. i actually thought the idea was to differentiate both V/M and D/W as the freshest, most talented new crop of ice dancers. That is interesting, I know a lot of the older ID fans, or at least those that are fans of the older IDs LOVE G/G so that would make sense. The costumes that V/M and D/W wore in their summer competitions were not great. I think the light pink dress Meryl wore for the SD at SA is gorgeous as is the hair jewelry but the fabric is not that great. I do not think that the black costume Tessa wore at SC is that great, I feel like it looks like a lot of other ID looks I have seen before. I think she needs something lighter in color and more amazing. This is her last SD, probably, for goodness sakes! I absolutely LOVED both D/W's outfits, they looked like OGMs that night performing the FD. I am not sure that I would touch those outfits and I am hoping they will surprise me with something greater so that I can pass out before they start hahahahaha. I definitely think that V/M should go bigger and more unique for both SD and FD, they are defending OGM and will leave a tremendous void once they stop competing. Their costumes should reflect that.

I feel Tessa and Scott's costuming in their FD is reminiscent of Gordeeva and Grinkov's Vocalise costumes- in color at least - not exactly in details of outfits. G/G's costuming was Katia in pale pink and Sergei in a deep rust colored outfit. Very similar to the color scheme for Scott and Tessa's costumes. But that's Marina all over again - trying to make them the second coming of G/G ice dance style.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Hi Doris! What do you think about the scoring of the Ice Dancing competitions this week? I am still :bang: :bang::bang:. At this point, I think most top skaters including ice dancer and pairs have to recycle their best. Given how competitive V/M , I know that this dance will be earning extreme scores by the time the Olympics are here.

I think the program is supposed to cause you to remember older programs of theirs-and it does that by having variations of moves they have had before. It will be interesting to see how it develops over the season.

sweetskates1

Medalist
We shall find out soon enough. I wonder if Igor, Carmelengo, or Zoueva will coach the top IDs... That will be interesting!!

1. C/Lanotte
2. Weaver/Poje
3. A junior team (maybe Bubkin or the french junior couple)

I don't know of any American teams on the horizon and the Shibutani's just are not good enough.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) - 181.03 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 175.23 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 153.20 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 145.56 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 143.77 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 138.16 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 134.28 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 133.12 Free Dance, 2nd Copy

Ice Dance Medal Ceremony

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hi Doris! What do you think about the scoring of the Ice Dancing competitions this week? I am still :bang: :bang::bang:. At this point, I think most top skaters including ice dancer and pairs have to recycle their best. Given how competitive V/M , I know that this dance will be earning extreme scores by the time the Olympics are here.

I think they had a very forgiving tech panel and set of judges.

Why do I think that? It's not just because the tech panel has 2 members known for being forgiving in the past.

Well, H&D scored all 3 of their lifetime personal bests here, as did W&P, and P&I scored a personal best in the free dance, and an overall personal best. That's a lot in one competition, especially one that isn't Worlds, 4CC's or Europeans. By contrast, at Skam, only C/L scored a personal best, in the SD, which edged them slightly ahead of their total best as well.

In the SD, every team except Paul & Islam got at least one level 4 on a pattern dance sequence (and P&I started the sequence they got level 1 on on the wrong beat, which is a mandatory level 1). At Skam, which was also fairly easily marked, 4 teams failed to get a level 4 on the pattern dance. 2 teams were called for a timing error in one or the other sequence. At SC, no team got a timing call.

So levels were high, which means scores were high.

No matter what scores any team got at either Skam or SC, all the teams and skaters will be trying their very, very best to outscore the competition. It's an Olympic year after all.

Last edited:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Exciting FD competition. W/P just divine but V/M's program - exquisite. As the Eurosports commentators said: just incredible and they skate as one. Love the music, and I also like Tessa's soft pink costume and her hair down. Yes, reminiscent of Katia and like Katia, Tessa's an extremely gorgeous girl & every body position is quite stunning. Her posture, arms & shoulders, leg positions, toe points all show her strong ballet background. The guys in one of my uni classes have voted her the hottest female figure skater (Korpi comes in a close second).:agree: Once it has more mileage, this to me is gold medal program.

I wish Virtue and Moir had saved Carmen for the Olympic season. That was a a masterpiece in conception and choreography, although never quite skated to perfection in the 2012-13 season. I am afraid that this "thanks for the memories as we ride off into the sunset" idea does not have the same competitive fire.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Yes, Carmen was a masterpiece, quite exceptional, except the judges didn't care for it so much Too bad they can't do Carmen II! Still, I think this new program has softness & beauty with dramatic phases as well.

VirMo

On the Ice
Guys, I just took the flight from Saint John to Toronto with Tessa, Scott, Kaitlyn, Andrew, and Kaetlyn. Sorry I had to get this out there somewhere!!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's quite an insult to suggest CSA is the reason for high scores and good placements. You make it sound like the CSA is responsible for Chan's skating ability and being able to execute quads, and doing V/M's and W/P's dances for them.

Seriously have more respect for the athletes as getting results merited by their performances and hard work instead of trivializing them as attributed to their federations politicking.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Guys, I just took the flight from Saint John to Toronto with Tessa, Scott, Kaitlyn, Andrew, and Kaetlyn. Sorry I had to get this out there somewhere!!!!

Lucky you, VirMo. :)

Any details that you would like to share with us?
(e.g., Did you have any conversation with any of them that you would like to repeat? Was Scott making Tessa laugh with his typical goofy charm? etc., etc.)

Hope all were in good spirits -- esp. Osmond, what with her injury.

VirMo

On the Ice
Lucky you, VirMo. :)

Any details that you would like to share with us?
(e.g., Did you have any conversation with any of them that you would like to repeat? Was Scott making Tessa laugh with his typical goofy charm? etc., etc.)

Hope all were in good spirits -- esp. Osmond, what with her injury.

Actually they all looked very tired :( I had a very brief conversation with Scott while in the line for security check, nothing related to skating but just about having to take out the laptop and all lol.. I didn't really feel like approaching them elsewhere because cameras were following them all along, and they did all look tired. I think probably they were shooting their new documentary thing. It was actually surprising that Kaetlyn was so quiet, she was barely speaking to anyone, which surprised me because I thought she would be the exact opposite, lively and loud, because her performance on ice is. Maybe she was just depressed about the injury though.

bellafurr

On the Ice
After attending Skate Canada I would like to say that W and P, and P and I , despite what you read on this board were not overscored and skated beautifully. every mark they got was earned.

emdee

Final Flight
After attending Skate Canada I would like to say that W and P, and P and I , despite what you read on this board were not overscored and skated beautifully. every mark they got was earned.

I was also there and totally agree. P&I have some wonderful qualities. Once they get their levels up there and leave their competition nerves behind them they will be fine. Training with K&C and skating with W&P will also help them greatly.

emdee

Final Flight
Yes, Carmen was a masterpiece, quite exceptional, except the judges didn't care for it so much Too bad they can't do Carmen II! Still, I think this new program has softness & beauty with dramatic phases as well.

I totally agree with you.
Carmen will be remembered after they finish with amateur skating. But it was a good choice not to skate it in an Oly year. This new program is just enchanting especially live.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Actually they all looked very tired :( I had a very brief conversation with Scott while in the line for security check, nothing related to skating but just about having to take out the laptop and all lol.. I didn't really feel like approaching them elsewhere because cameras were following them all along, and they did all look tired. I think probably they were shooting their new documentary thing. It was actually surprising that Kaetlyn was so quiet, she was barely speaking to anyone, which surprised me because I thought she would be the exact opposite, lively and loud, because her performance on ice is. Maybe she was just depressed about the injury though.

you mean that Kaitlyn is injuried?or Andrew?

emdee

Final Flight

Yes thy all did look tired. They had a late Saturday night then gala practice and Sunday.

I asked them for a pic and they very kindly obliged. So did Tess and Scott. This was pre lounge before security. All were very warm and gracious. I didn't intrude beyond that.