Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
koatcue said:
They are contenders for sure, and Gracie, if clean 'course, should surpass at least Carolina, who is prone to mistakes...There is time for every skater to improve till Sochi

Why would it be more likely for Gracie to go clean than for Carolina? Yes, Caro is unlikely to be clean, but so is Gracie...

I really liked Julia at SC despite being lukewarm on her before, but people saying she was 'a thread to the big 3' or things like that irk me a little. If Mao/Caro/Yuna bomb of course others skating well will beat them. But that doesn't mean being a threat to someone...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why would it be more likely for Gracie to go clean than for Carolina? Yes, Caro is unlikely to be clean, but so is Gracie...

Gold is definitely not anymore likely to go clean than Kostner. I dont believe either have ever done a clean competition to date, so until Gold (or Kostner) proves otherwise the odds are probably the same of a clean competition for either- zero.

Kostner however is the more likely to limit her mistakes, something she has become very good at doing the last 2 years, than Gold who only an a particular good outing (Skate Canada and Worlds this past year were actually examples of this for her standards) limits her mistakes to something reasonable. In addition to having more overall scoring potential of course.

Julia is a legit threat to Kostner and Mao IMO though as unlike Gold she is far more consistent than either Kostner or Mao. Yu Na Kim matches Julia's consistency and so of course Julia is no threat to Yu Na who has the same consistency and light years more scoring potential, but she is a threat to Kostner and Mao purely due to her much greater consistency. Being a threat to Kostner and Asada is not the same thing as being a threat to Kim given that Yu Na in a typical competition (I mean what they do on average, not the hypothetical best we imagine for each) scores about 20 points higher than Kostner and Asada. Kostner and Asada are the only two skaters who a threats to Kim on an unlikely day they skated perfectly they could beat Kim, especialy in a rare day Kim makes a mistake or two. However many more skaters are potential threats to Kostner and Asada than are threats to Kim, as Kim is too consistent to be threatened by skaters who need her to bomb to beat them. Asada and Kostner though are quite bomb or atleast semi bomb capable.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara for sure is a way better skater than Hughes. Hughes had better spins (apart from the sit spin, Tara's was much better), and better spirals, but that is it.

Tara's jumps were light years better, not huge but probably bigger than Sarah's, and other than the lack of height Tara's were exceptional in everyway- position in air, flow out, trajectory, timing, rotation. Sarah's are ordinary in everyway. Tara was super consistent doing 7 triples and the hardest triple-triples ever done (apart from the triple lutz-triple loop some women since have done). Sarah sometimes stood up some badly pre rotated and cheated triple-triples. Tara had one small technical issue with the flutz, but Hughes had a 5 time worse flutz, a mule kicking lutz, flip, and toe, and amazingly even sometimes managed to lip on her flip despite being one of the worst flutzers ever.

Tara had much better basics, was much faster, had much more command and presence. Tara in her prime beat Michelle Kwan 4 times out of 5 meetings, and won 5 of the 6 biggest events she was in. Tara beat a clean Michelle Kwan to win the Olympics, and regularly was beating both Kwan and Slutskaya at her peak. Sarah could never dream of doing such things. Had Irina (despite a very poor skate for her standards) gotten 5.8 from the Finnish judge for presentation rather than a 5.7 in the SLC LP, Sarah would have never placed higher than 3rd in any major event. She never won her own Nationals and only placed as high as 2nd twice.

Worst skater to win the Olympics is defintely a toss up between Hughes and Poetzsch. Tara today is far more highly respected and left a much greater legacy in the skating World than Hughes.
Tara would get killed today if she was skating in this scoring system with her tiny jumps and that 2axel which was as bad as Julia Lipnitskaia's. As for being highly respected i think Tara is forgotten like Hughes is. As for beating Irina Slutskaya she didn't hit her peak until a couple years after Tara retired. Tara would have had to improve big time in this scoring system such as her spins also which were nothing special.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Gold is definitely not anymore likely to go clean than Kostner. I dont believe either have ever done a clean competition to date, so until Gold (or Kostner) proves otherwise the odds are probably the same of a clean competition for either- zero..

In a weird way I feel Gracie's slightly more likely to go clean because she's still knew on the circuit. Kostner is well improving competition wise but she's been on the circuit longer than anyone....Lightning could strike but...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
OK Irina was a far better skater in 2000-2005 than 96-98 so maybe I shouldnt have mentioned her. Even so we can compare how both did vs Michelle Kwan accurately, and Kwan if anything was at her peak as a skater in 96-98, not the 2000s. Hughes still was nowhere near the same thread.

Tara is not forgotten. She isnt exactly an icon but she is brought up often all the same. How can you not be when you had an epic rivalry with Michelle Kwan, who is still one of the most famous skaters of all time. That alone ensures Tara and Irina will always be brought up, as they were the only two real rivals Kwan ever had in that relatively weak era (Irina would be famous in Europe mind you, even without her rivalry with Kwan, in fact she is a bigger star in Europe than Kwan is).

Prime Tara would not get killed under COP. She had good quality jumps, except the 2 axel, and the flutz. Anyway if you think Tara would get killed under COP, then Hughes would probably never get out of Sectionals under COP. She would only have 1 or 2 ratified triples per program for starters.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In a weird way I feel Gracie's slightly more likely to go clean because she's still knew on the circuit. Kostner is well improving competition wise but she's been on the circuit longer than anyone....Lightning could strike but...

Fair enough. That is a good point. Also being Frank Carroll, who knows what magic he can work on Gold and her competitive psyche. We saw what he did with Evan, who is a less talented skater than Gold (although probably even more determined).

miki88

Medalist
Julia has two good competitions and all of a sudden she is known as being as consistent as Kim? First, let's see how she does later on in the season. She hasn't even yet competed at a big senior competition. She definitely has a chance but it's too early in the season to make any conclusions.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Julia has two good competitions and all of a sudden she is known as being as consistent as Kim? First, let's see how she does later on in the season. She hasn't even yet competed at a big senior competition. She definitely has a chance but it's too early in the season to make any conclusions.

It isnt just her early season this year. In her dominant junior season of 2011-2012 she practically never missed a jump. Last year she went her growth spurt and for the first time ever for her clean programs were hard to come by. However even then she was still most consistent than most, although we saw how she is the kind of skater who needs to skate cleanly to do well.

The fact she has already gone through her growth spurt pretty much and still has all her triples intact is a huge plus for her future in the sport. This is a hurdle Radiaonova has not yet cleared. She can now focus on improving as a skater. The consistency that made her famous as a junior is already back in full.

minze

Medalist

We have not seen what Carolina has to offer and if last years worlds are any indication, she can beat perfect Julia with a mistake in the short and 2 in the long

tulosai

Record Breaker
It isnt just her early season this year. In her dominant junior season of 2011-2012 she practically never missed a jump. Last year she went her growth spurt and for the first time ever for her clean programs were hard to come by. However even then she was still most consistent than most, although we saw how she is the kind of skater who needs to skate cleanly to do well.

The fact she has already gone through her growth spurt pretty much and still has all her triples intact is a huge plus for her future in the sport. This is a hurdle Radiaonova has not yet cleared. She can now focus on improving as a skater. The consistency that made her famous as a junior is already back in full.

In fact, IIRC, in that season she did not miss any jumps in competition. It was such a relief to watch her, I could finally not worry if someone was going to fall.

Last year, despite her injuries, she was also more consistent than the vast majority of the current field.

I really like Julia, but don't defend her on certain points where either YMMV or she still does have weaknesses. However, I will definitely defend her consistency to the death, as well as her spins (except for when they travel badly, which happens very rarely).

I feel sad for her because in a year this girl will be trashed like old newspaper, making room for another 12yo who can jump.

True, by this time next year she might balloon out beyond all recognition. Luckily for her the Olympics are this year when she is in her prime. :yes:

As for her interpretation of Schindler's List., OK, so she's a little girl not a Holocaust Survivor. She saw a movie that inspired her. I thought she did just fine.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
True, by this time next year she might balloon out beyond all recognition. Luckily for her the Olympics are this year when she is in her prime. :yes:

As for her interpretation of Schindler's List., OK, so she's a little girl not a Holocaust Survivor. She saw a movie that inspired her. I thought she did just fine.

Agreed!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia at 15 still has some growing to do and her body will continue to change for another couple years at least. If that happens those small jumps might disappear and she will just be another skater who peaked in her mid teens and went downhill.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
We have not seen what Carolina has to offer and if last years worlds are any indication, she can beat perfect Julia with a mistake in the short and 2 in the long

Carolina's total score from Worlds last year was virtually a tie with what Julia did at Skate Canada. Scores escalate in a season even for similar skates. So on the contrary, skating on home ice like she did at Skate Canada, and Kostner skating as she did at Worlds, Julia will most likely come out on top.

Come to think of it Julia is probably an even stronger medal contender for Sochi than I originally thought.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Julia is making noticeable improvements, which is all one can ask of her. She still isn't my favorite Russian, but I have to admire her competitiveness. Her choreography is also starting to improve because she seems to focus more on how her body should move to the music rather than randomly sticking her foot over her head. I'm indifferent as to whether she or Liza go to Sochi, but I'd really like to see Adelina there.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
^ May be, but the Sochi Olympics are in February, not in another couple of years.

15yo girls grow like weed. In 2 months you can go from mosquito bite to elene g.

Timing is everything for these itty bitty girls. I doubt this chic is anywhere near podium at her absolute best. This chic has the same solemn face since mao beat her with 3 triples. She already looks like she got a one way train ticket to auschwitz all the time, so when schinder's list is playing, it doesnt take any facial muscle movement to get into character.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I like everything about this girl Julia. I can't say enough how much I loved her costume! Even though she was still rough edged in artistic aspect, she is the one to watch this season. Congratulations, Julia!

tulosai

Record Breaker
15yo girls grow like weed. In 2 months you can go from mosquito bite to elene g.

Yes, and she was going to grow and not be able to jump anymore last year and the year before that and the year before that too. Incredible.

Surely the second part of your post could be said less offensively.