Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

lcd

Match Penalty
More weak performances than strong ones overall. The burden of the quads coupled with the pressure of the season really bore this out. Bet there are also injuries being nursed that we are not hearing about

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
It shows the battle among Japanese men is so fierce to grab a spot in the Olympic team.

I think their issues were largely due to mental blocks and the demands of intricate multi-quad programs. They performed well at Senior B events earlier this season. Nonetheless, the fact that Machida pulled a Takeshi Honda will cause them some concern when heading towards the Olympics. He not only has a valuable Grand Prix gold from Skate America but also has beaten their PBs.

We'll see how Yuzuru does at TEB where he'll have a rematch with Patrick. Oda is scheduled to be at the NHK bloodbath- I mean Trophy.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Joshua Farris has to be my favorite skater right now. Cute as a button, but gorgeous inside. Skates with emotion, complexity, maturity and tension. I just love him. Which is creepy because I'm 10 years older, but whatever lol. That was probably the best Schindler's List since Paul Wylie. That did not flow like an amateur competitive program, it felt like more. Most skaters skate through the music; he skates inside the music. I am so glad he left Tom Z, he keeps growing every year, but this seems like a breakthrough. I really hope he and Adam make it to Sochi. I prefer him so much more than Jason Brown, Jason is too busy for me. I've loved Josh since his gorgeous SP last year to Bach's Prelude for Solo Suite no 1 for Unaccompanied Cello, it was sublime.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just had the opportunity to watch some of the videos. I was very taken by Joshua Farris' program as I am always moved by the Schindler's List music. It was elegant choreography that captured the mood of the piece well. If I compare to another fave of mine Jason Brown, I would say that Jason's choreography and style is a little more interesting to me, but these two young men are certainly the ones to watch. With the way some of the favorites have been skating and the unpredictability of the sport, it could easily be one of these two somewhere on the podium at Nationals.

Fun fact: Josh and Jason have shared the podium at Nationals at every level except Juvenile and Senior...

Nice to see Josh getting some love!

emma

Record Breaker
I'm so behind on all things skating and haven't even read most of this thread (sorry). But, just wanted to say that I was so pleased to see Josh and I really like his program and yes, costume! I really like it. He really is amazing. I think we are in for some great years with Josh and Jason. That said, my hear goes out to the 'older' men. I really and truly find Abbot mesmerizing and can only hope he can skate this program clean with a quad - yes, I know it is recycled, but I think it is exceptional and more to the point, just want him to feel he accomplished what he set out to do.

So great to see Oda again...his triples instead of quads, especially the first one, seemed like there was a lot of air still there, wonder what happened mentally for that to triple out. But, great to seem him in good form. Hanyu is adorable...i'm not into his LP yet, but admire him and he seems to have more stamina for the LP, which is great.

I always hate to bring up Chan, but since it has never been a secret how much I adore his skating, I'll just say that I am already in love with this program. Regardless, I long for the day to attend practice sessions - or more to the real fantasy - I would love to be able to go to a practice session where all he does is stroke and glide and some footwork, like for hours. Anyway, I enjoyed what I say despite the falls and such...and can't wait to find a little more time to read all of the analysis.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like Joshua's skating a lot too. What was creepy was his costume. It was like a Halloween costume to me. Very distracting.

I actually really loved the costume. The only thing is I think it needs a few stitches or maybe a belt of some kind, because Josh actually has a waist and it would look better if we could actually see it.

emdee

Final Flight
IA. Amazing. His skating skills, transitions & footwork all show why he's #1 in the world & make some of the other guys in the competition look like juniors. He becomes another instrument as he interprets his music. Also loving his shirt with what appears to be embossed leaves - suits the program. For an October showing this was pretty good.

I always found Patrick's skating special but in skate canada with a relatively small field he stood out.
I enjoyed Joshua as well. He skated very maturely and with great feeling.

I love Hanyu but he cannot get the adrenalin under control. He was cute in practices too.

Loved Patrick's ex.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I always found Patrick's skating special but in skate canada with a relatively small field he stood out.
I enjoyed Joshua as well. He skated very maturely and with great feeling.

I love Hanyu but he cannot get the adrenalin under control. He was cute in practices too.

Loved Patrick's ex.

Were the exhibition performances shown on NBC today or were they/are they on Ice Network? I DVRed the NBC coverage and have the Ice Network subscription. Thanks in advance for letting me know.

daydreamangel

Rinkside
Patrick may very win every competition he enters including the Olympics this year and after but he will never compare to Yagudin - that man is a living legend.

Agree! He will never be as great as Yagudin. Patrick kinda bores me....I am pulling for Daisuke to win Gold at Sochi.

emdee

Final Flight
Were the exhibition performances shown on NBC today or were they/are they on Ice Network? I DVRed the NBC coverage and have the Ice Network subscription. Thanks in advance for letting me know.

Sorry, I was at the rink so dont know!

deedee1

Record Breaker
While not finished reading every posts here yet, my apology, but here are my thoughts after watching Mens Free, mostly based on program-wise.

LOved Patrick's and Nobu's LP! :love:
Patrick skating is just out of this world! and I admit his step sequence is on par with Dai's, to me finally. (More upper body movements would have been appreciated by me. ;))

A bit dissapointed with Yuzuru's LP. Or, to be more precise, Wilson's works for Yuzuru two years in a row...I don't believe this program will ever beat Patrick if these two are to skate clean at Sochi. I mean, Yuzu can outjump Patrick, probabaly, so that he may beat in TES. but the difference in PCS is likely to be something like 10 points or more, so never catchable I would see.

A bit worried about Jeremy. His program here appeared (to me) a bit 'emptier' compared to two years ago. Does he take out some of choreographies at the expence of hitting all jumps? Or, was it due to lack of speed throughout?

Heartbroken for Ross and Takahito...:cry: I was surprised and devastated to see such a sudden drop in their PCS.

Congrats to Michal for hitting 2 perfect quad Salchows! :thumbsup:
Good program to showcase Josh's skating style, but more ice coverage would have been preferred maybe.
Good job done by Andrei. But sorry Nyah to me forever belongs to Kurt AND 17yo Dai. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xnFr0QVSSw :biggrin:

The judges' inability to mark different components independently of each other due to the Anchoring effect was particularly frustrating at this event.

We've had Balde skate a very complex program, full of transitions, with an unusual element layout, mostly in time to the music but get PCS marks much lower than those of most of his competitors just because his basics are quite weak.

And then we had Brezina with strong basic skating and a much better posture than Balde skate an extremely generic and poorly choreographed program lacking in transitions, yet almost of all of his PCS were in the 7s.

ISU really needs to sort this out. It's extremely unfair to skaters and coaches who put effort into more than just jumps.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Finally watched Skate Canada.

Chan is just phenomenal and his skating + Vivaldi = GOD! :clap: It was interesting to see my boyfriend commenting on the small mistakes Chan made and how I had to defend Chan's superior skills. And I'm a Daisuke fan. I hope Chan will skate CLEAN with a lot of passion so he will win the hearts of the public, as well as die-hard skating fans.

Hannyu- I don't see much change in his skating since I cried my eyes out in Palais des Expositions in Nice in 2012 apart from much improved consistency. His posture, skating skills, and his rushed moves... the same problems remain. And the whole thing about him being girly might work with some demographics in Japan (there's a term I forget that exists to describe girls admiring girlish boys) but come on you're an international athlete!! The costume, how he holds his Pooh stuffed animal in front of the press and his cutesy-ness... Johnny Weir is smart enough to make it so outrageous it's marketable. Hannyu I feel uncomfortable.

I love Oda this season. He seems like he's enjoying himself and it really shows. Love his programs. I hope he makes it to the Olympics!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For those who criticize Chan's costume, be glad it is not divided into four quadrants depicting the four seasons!

Tu Ly, a Canadian designer, is responsible for his costumes till Sochi.

^ :) Stephane Lambiel's Zebra shirt, to the same music, made the list at number 2 of Time Magazine's all-time worst figure skating costumes.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1964288_1964289_1964291,00.html

Interesting. though, that on this thread of 22 pages and more than 300 posts, Patrick's costume is mentioned only three times: #123 "I really like Chan's shirt," #169, "Chan must be really confident in his pecs," and the tomgue-in-cheek post #258, that begins "On a completely superficial and lighter note…"

On the other hand, quite a few posters actually did invest some energy to critiquing (and not in a good way) the outfits of Minor, Farris, Abbott, and -- oh my goodness -- Hanyu.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Finally watched Skate Canada.

Chan is just phenomenal and his skating + Vivaldi = GOD! :clap: It was interesting to see my boyfriend commenting on the small mistakes Chan made and how I had to defend Chan's superior skills. And I'm a Daisuke fan. I hope Chan will skate CLEAN with a lot of passion so he will win the hearts of the public, as well as die-hard skating fans.

Hannyu- I don't see much change in his skating since I cried my eyes out in Palais des Expositions in Nice in 2012 apart from much improved consistency. His posture, skating skills, and his rushed moves... the same problems remain. And the whole thing about him being girly might work with some demographics in Japan (there's a term I forget that exists to describe girls admiring girlish boys) but come on you're an international athlete!! The costume, how he holds his Pooh stuffed animal in front of the press and his cutesy-ness... Johnny Weir is smart enough to make it so outrageous it's marketable. Hannyu I feel uncomfortable.

I love Oda this season. He seems like he's enjoying himself and it really shows. Love his programs. I hope he makes it to the Olympics!!!

Hi Hikki! :) I totally agree with you re Patrick. and Oda is adorable. My kids loved it that Hannyu needs his Pooh but to me he looks too young still- he's SO skinny and adolescent looking he reminds me of my 14 year old. I think he needs a little more seasoning before he should be considered a true contender.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
^ :) Stephane Lambiel's Zebra shirt, to the same music, made the list at number 2 of Time Magazine's all-time worst figure skating costumes.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1964288_1964289_1964291,00.html

Interesting. though, that on this thread of 22 pages and more than 300 posts, Patrick's costume is mentioned only three times: #123 "I really like Chan's shirt," #169, "Chan must be really confident in his pecs," and the tomgue-in-cheek post #258, that begins "On a completely superficial and lighter note…"

On the other hand, quite a few posters actually did invest some energy to critiquing (and not in a good way) the outfits of Minor, Farris, Abbott, and -- oh my goodness -- Hanyu.

I LOVED Chan's costume. and I hated Abbott's- too clingy in all the wrong places and made him look big. Hanyu's doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others, but I was more bothered by how incredibly skinny he looks.