Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

But I wouldn't say his 3As are that consistent

I seem to recall that Stephane Lambiel had several dependable quads but often flubbed the triple axel.

I wasn't able to watch but feel awful about the descriptions of Jeremy Abbott's long program. This guy has so much talent, and he almost never seems able to show it.

Becki

Medalist
Congrats to Patrick on a great skate, think this is the best I've ever seen him this early in the season ;o

So disappointed for Yuzu, definitely one of his weaker competitions so far in his career... hoping he'll bounce back next time.

It's alright, I think Yuzu will only build from this experience, and become stronger!!! :D :D

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Lots of disappointments tonight. Thank goodness for Patrick he shocked me back from the haze
that was surrounding me from the prior skaters (Oda excluded) and reminded me what elite skating is
all about. He was absolutely fabulous!

Congrats to the Medalists!

jan

On the Ice
I remember seeing Yuzu a couple of years ago and thought he had great potential. Where have his program components gone? He is not in the same league as Chan.
It's alright, I think Yuzu will only build from this experience, and become stronger!!! :D :D

phaeljones

On the Ice
Chan's skate was wonderful to watch. He really did earn it tonight. He went all out with those quads. But most has impressed me about these last two nights is that he seems in a mental space, relaxed and in control. I have not seen him skate that way in a long time with that mental sense. Loved his speed. Loved his power. It was a work of art.

Regarding Hanyu, you could tell his nerves were tight again tonight when he began his program. This is fixable. Watching the tv, I heard a Frank Carroll quote from Rod Black when Tracy Gold was skating (Black is pretty insufferable generally on his commentary, but here he actually said something intelligent so it kind of stuck in my memory:) ) think to learn, feel to skate. Yuzuru looked like he was thinking and worrying too much. He did seem to click after his ina bauer, but by then it was way way too late. As well, I really admire him for not giving up. The talent was also undeniable even with the hick-ups. Maybe we are expecting too much too early. I still believe he is capable of big things this season.

LRK

Record Breaker
I seem to recall that Stephane Lambiel had several dependable quads but often flubbed the triple axel.

I wasn't able to watch but feel awful about the descriptions of Jeremy Abbott's long program. This guy has so much talent, and he almost never seems able to show it.

He (Stephane, I mean) ditched the 3A completely in 2010, didn't he? (she said rather hesitantly having just proven what a rotten memory she has) However, it does seem that for a few skaters the quad is actually easier than the 3A. I wonder why that is?

suzukifan said:
I hate his faked coach.

OK, but seriously. You hate someone's coach? How do you feel about his girl friend? Can't we content ourselves with just hating the skaters themselves? ;)

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 262.03 Free Skate
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 234.80
3. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 233.00
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 218.32
5. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 216.72
6. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 215.95
7. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 205.19
8. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 197.35
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 196.89
10. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 188.53

wallylutz

Medalist
Hate to say this, however I told you so

fingers crossed for Yuzuru (his costume is horrible though :p)

He must have gone into Juliet's closet for that blouse

I've tried to come up with something for four minutes, but there's just nothing nice I can say about Hanyu's costume..

My wife just asked me if that was a skirt around Yuzurus shoulders.

I hate the costume, wish he would go back to the all black ensemble. I hate that ridiculous addition to the program - it sounds awful. And, I feel that the program is so watered down. Jeremy looks leaner but not more fit. It is over, I will stop dreaming as it will never happen for him.

I hate the costume too. Blah and too clingy in all the wrong places. SweetSkates don't stop dreaming yet!!!

Lucky you. My wife gave up after just two skater. And then she saw a skirt around Yuzurus shoulder and bugged out.

That wasn't a skirt...

You know, I told you so : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ll-go-to-Sochi&p=773415&viewfull=1#post773415

But when I tried to phrase my feedback diplomatically, I was immediately attacked and accused anywhere from incompetent to homophobic. Hanyu's ubers should know they are not doing him any favor by making him an emperor without clothes by shielding away constructive feedback.

wallylutz said:
I know look is subjective and don't claim to be any authority when it comes to style. Though with decades in this sport, I want to believe I have keen sense of what's too far and what's not.

The fact is, Hanyu's TES once again managed to beat his PCS despite numerous major technical errors, including falls and pops on big jumps. When Takahashi or Chan had a similar skate, their PCS is always greater - in fact, much greater than their PCS.

-----------------------

^^ To be fair he has looked sort of tired the beginning of this season. He has n't really come into form yet I think.

Already discussed here : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...3-Skate-Canada&p=778925&viewfull=1#post778925

Once again, the regression is quite obvious by now but some of us were already noticing something was wrong a while ago at Finlandia.

One way or the other, Mathman and his little fan club will probably mock me of this anyway : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...n-Free-Skating&p=775050&viewfull=1#post775050

As always, feel free to ignore or dismiss my comments, if that's not what you want to hear. Hanyu's current issue has already been summarized in his thread earlier this month around the time of Finlandia : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...n-Patrick-Chan&p=769266&viewfull=1#post769266

Skate Canada Int'l shows he is still having the exact same performance problem, if not worse as evidenced by lower PCS mark vs. an error filled TES + the distracting costume. Even if his costume didn't receive a deduction, combined with his below average performance, it's enough to have the like of Jeremy Abbott who bombed earlier to beat him in PCS.

Once again, I have to ask, is he ill? Frankly, he looks in much worse shape than I remember he was last season. If he has some medical condition other than asthma, which is not disclosed publicly, that would explain a lot.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Not as exciting as the ladies but it's weird to see Patrick do so well early in the season.

OK, but seriously. You hate someone's coach? How do you feel about his girl friend? Can't we content ourselves with just hating the skaters themselves? ;)

I for one despise Patrick Chan's parents and their aborted attempt to make their son the Queen of Spain. I've never met them personally before but that doesn't mean I can't hate them and their devious attempt to take over the world.

You got the best of me this time, WallyLutz. Patrick skated well, everyone else was terrible. :yes:

artsciboy

On the Ice
I think I get Hanyu's costume now. He must be doing a whole "Black Swan" thing - where people play both the white swan and the black swan. I'm guessing Hanyu is playing both Romeo and Juliet in this program - I don't know how else to explain that frilly costume he's wearing.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think I get Hanyu's costume now. He must be doing a whole "Black Swan" thing - where people play both the white swan and the black swan. I'm guessing Hanyu is playing both Romeo and Juliet in this program - I don't know how else to explain that frilly costume he's wearing.

Skater's costume is usually the most forgettable part to me. I rarely ever notice whatever a skater is wearing as I just mentally tune them out as being irrelevant 99% of the time. When I saw Hanyu for the first time this season via video clip from Finlandia, it immediately jumped out and caught my attention but not in a good way. It takes something that is glaring in order to get me to notice a skater's costume. S/S in Pairs, the former World Champions from Germany is another case where their costuming sometimes get my attention and it turned out, she designed their costume for the team...let's just say she has the passion but not the talent for fashion. S/S are also one of the very few cases in Pairs where a team managed to get deduction for costume at such high level.

I hope that Team Hanyu will seriously consider an outfit change because he is going to need it.

hurrah

Medalist
Patrick Chan was incredible!! Hand him the OGM already and put him in the hall of fame.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 262.03 Free Skate
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 234.80 Free Skate
3. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 233.00
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 218.32
5. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 216.72
6. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 215.95
7. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 205.19
8. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 197.35
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 196.89
10. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 188.53

emdee

Final Flight

Exactly what people behind me asked....is he half man/half woman ie lower and upper halves.