Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

emdee

Final Flight
Got sloppy towards the end (wth with that combo spin???), but it's not like Chan needed much to win. Don't want to peak too early. Gorgeous quads and skating legs. I like this Vivaldi program.

At about the 3 min mark he got really tired. He skated right by my section and I could see it in his face. A slight loss of concentration.

But his step sequences were stupendous with must high energy, great upper body movement and changes of direction.
This program is a masterpiece.

emdee

Final Flight
After chan Hanyu is one of my faves so I was sorry to see his skate. The good news is he didn't cry and his second place will help towards the GPF

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Not as exciting as the ladies but it's weird to see Patrick do so well early in the season.

I for one despise Patrick Chan's parents and their aborted attempt to make their son the Queen of Spain. I've never met them personally before but that doesn't mean I can't hate them and their devious attempt to take over the world.

????????

I must say I do not get this Patrick hate at all. I have only recently joined this board, so perhaps there is a history I am missing here. How can anyone who likes skating not admire Patrick?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
At about the 3 min mark he got really tired. He skated right by my section and I could see it in his face. A slight loss of concentration.

But his step sequences were stupendous with must high energy, great upper body movement and changes of direction.
This program is a masterpiece.
Agreed on the program.

stickle

Rinkside
riceplate said:
Tracy Wilson on Jeremy's quad splat: "Fall does not mean failure.". You Canadians are way too nice!

Not Jeremy's night tonight. Love how the audience is cheering him on and giving him support though! He's definitely thinking too much after yesterday

A Canadian too nice?? The audience cheering for an American???? :eek: But but but...aren't Canadians terrible? They certainly were hated and denigrated and insulted by posters on the Pairs thread today.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 262.03 Free Skate
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 234.80 Free Skate
3. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 233.00 Free Skate
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 218.32
5. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 216.72 Free Skate
6. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 215.95
7. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 205.19
8. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 197.35
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 196.89
10. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 188.53

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
You know, I told you so : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ll-go-to-Sochi&p=773415&viewfull=1#post773415

But when I tried to phrase my feedback diplomatically, I was immediately attacked and accused anywhere from incompetent to homophobic. Hanyu's ubers should know they are not doing him any favor by making him an emperor without clothes by shielding away constructive feedback.

The fact is, Hanyu's TES once again managed to beat his PCS despite numerous major technical errors, including falls and pops on big jumps. When Takahashi or Chan had a similar skate, their PCS is always greater - in fact, much greater than their PCS.

-----------------------

Already discussed here : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...3-Skate-Canada&p=778925&viewfull=1#post778925

Once again, the regression is quite obvious by now but some of us were already noticing something was wrong a while ago at Finlandia.

One way or the other, Mathman and his little fan club will probably mock me of this anyway : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...n-Free-Skating&p=775050&viewfull=1#post775050

As always, feel free to ignore or dismiss my comments, if that's not what you want to hear. Hanyu's current issue has already been summarized in his thread earlier this month around the time of Finlandia : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...n-Patrick-Chan&p=769266&viewfull=1#post769266

Skate Canada Int'l shows he is still having the exact same performance problem, if not worse as evidenced by lower PCS mark vs. an error filled TES + the distracting costume. Even if his costume didn't receive a deduction, combined with his below average performance, it's enough to have the like of Jeremy Abbott who bombed earlier to beat him in PCS.

Once again, I have to ask, is he ill? Frankly, he looks in much worse shape than I remember he was last season. If he has some medical condition other than asthma, which is not disclosed publicly, that would explain a lot.

Just to clarify, the comments by myself and sweetskates above were about JEREMY'S costume, not Hanyu's.

...perhaps there is a history I am missing here...

You might say that ;). Chan has won a lot of competitions where he fell or made other visible errors, but was victorious over cleaner skates because of his other-wordly mastery of blade-to-ice skills. This generated a certain amount of controversy between people who loved his skating and people who thought that other skaters were robbed.

All water under the bridge now, though. I do not see anyone with a realistic chance of catching Patrick this season. (Well, we haven't seen Fernandez yet.)

OT. Here is Patrick's Four Seasons from 2008. This is one of the best men's performances ever. Note the uncluttered choreography. We do not see programs like this any more. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2jXafZZws

Becki

Medalist
You might say that ;). Chan has won a lot of competitions where he fell or made other visible errors, but was victorious over cleaner skates because of his other-wordly mastery of blade-to-ice skills. This generated a certain amount of controversy between people who loved his skating and people who thought that other skaters were robbed.

All water under the bridge now, though. I do not see anyone with a realistic chance of catching Patrick this season. (Well, we haven't seen Fernandez yet.)

OT. Here is Patrick's Four Seasons from 2008. This is one of the best men's performances ever. Note the uncluttered choreography. We do not see programs like this any more. :cry:

I still think there's a chance the rest of the field will catch him....it's still quite early in the figure skating season. A lot can happen in between now and the Sochi Olympics. I'll just wait and see what happens :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Once again, I have to ask, is he ill? Frankly, he looks in much worse shape than I remember he was last season. If he has some medical condition other than asthma, which is not disclosed publicly, that would explain a lot.

Hanyu was fine a few weeks ago. Actually I thought if there was positive the Japanese could take from it is that Hanyu did not seem out of breath after the program, in fact he got stronger as the program progressed. He just needs to get himself more mentally with it.. IMO.

The fact is, Hanyu's TES once again managed to beat his PCS despite numerous major technical errors, including falls and pops on big jumps. When Takahashi or Chan had a similar skate, their PCS is always greater - in fact, much greater than their PCS.

Hanyu is capable of getting much higher PCS when he skates well. I suspect if he were to skate perfectly his PCS would be in the 80s if not mid 80's. I don't particularly adore seeing Chan or Dai getting mega PCS when they are messy (and yes I'll include Dai there) however both of them are more pleasing skaters in a lot of ways than Hanyu who still can be a bit sloppy at times.

hurrah

Medalist
Yuzuru's costume is silly-looking and it really ought to be changed. End of the story.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist

Thank you Mathman! Very helpful. and you know, I HAVE seen Fernadez, and he looked weak. His new programs are not as good as last year's. I don't think anyone currently skating is anywhere close to Patrick in overall quality.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Machida's scores at Skate America were higher than Patricks. Yes Patrick wasn't perfect here, but when is Patrick. I'm not sure if back to back the judges would have the guts to do it, but they might if Patrick has no 4/3 in the short and no triple axel in the long and some doubles.

Machida is talking about adding the quad lutz.

If Patrick skates close to perfect, nobody was beating him anyways. He really is the best skater in the world. However, Chan is rarely clean. Man there would be some irony there, but then who would have thought Denis Ten would be so close to being World Champ? In poor Machida's case, he'd have had far more world exposure if he had been on any other team.
I think Chan has some work to do himself....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ahhhh Josh's Schindler's List is goooooooooorgeous! Even with mistakes it did funny things to my heart...

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I think everyone needs to stop assuming crap about Jeremy as well as how Yuka feels about coaching him.
This was the first gp and big competition for him of the season. He usually craps the bed in the first GP event and the BRINGS it at nationals.
He's miles ahead of the other US guys in talent (although I do like Adam and Josh). And his feet are choreographic magic. He comes the closest to having magic feet like Kurt Browning that I have EVER seen.
So everyone just needs to relax and let him skate.

SquishyDumpling

Rinkside

Hanyu's PCS have never been in the range of Chan and Takahashi, so that's kinda stating the obvious that when he falters his PCS won't help him. The only time he got higher PCS than his TES was his FS at SA '12 - heck Abbott got higher PCS than him and they both bombed their FS and he skated earlier than Hanyu at that event too. Hanyu's just one of those skaters that get higher PCS when he lands all his jumps.

Actually, Jeremy is hit and miss at Nationals. IMHO he should drop the quad, hit his triple Axels and triple Lutzes with panoche, and take no prisoners.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Actually, Jeremy is hit and miss at Nationals. IMHO he should drop the quad, hit his triple Axels and triple Lutzes with panoche, and take no prisoners.

Really? And thats why hes 3 time National Champ, right? :sarcasm:

wallylutz

Medalist
Machida's scores at Skate America were higher than Patricks. Yes Patrick wasn't perfect here, but when is Patrick. I'm not sure if back to back the judges would have the guts to do it, but they might if Patrick has no 4/3 in the short and no triple axel in the long and some doubles.

As I recall, this year's Skate America's Men's panel were extremely generous. In fact, I recall making that comment during Men's FS. Dai's far below average performance - 6~7 errors in total where 5 jumps were either pop or had error while one spin was downgraded to Lv 2, was getting 159!? :sarcasm: Protocol here : http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2013/gpusa2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

That's why it's dangerous to compare scores between two different competitions. I

Machida is talking about adding the quad lutz.

Good luck with that. I think this is unwise. Men are taking way too much risk too quickly, it can backfire badly. Machida isn't alone, just look around.