Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was surprised to see Jason slightly higher in the ranking. I think Adam Rippon is the John Curry of his day. Chan and Dai have great elegance, but Adam is very special. He moves so beautifully, naturally. I do not find him flamboyant, but a true to himself artist. I hope podium is Adam, Jason, Jeremy in that order.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I was surprised to see Jason slightly higher in the ranking. I think Adam Rippon is the John Curry of his day. Chan and Dai have great elegance, but Adam is very special. He moves so beautifully, naturally. I do not find him flamboyant, but a true to himself artist. I hope podium is Adam, Jason, Jeremy in that order.

I agree that Adam is very unique and special. and I want the podium to be those 3 too! Josh Farris for Pewter.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max and Jeremy--if they go 1-2 at Nationals. Adam is a beautiful skater, and I would be happy if he qualified at Nationals, but I don't think he will.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If it is a messy event, which an Olympics often is, a clean Jason could get the bronze perhaps. It is atleast as likely as Aaron or Abbott I would say.

You're joking right? The guys would have to bomb worse than Worlds. I love Jason and even without a quad his programs are Olympics worthy in their choreography/performance... but the stars would have to align and thensome for him to even make the top 5 let alone earn a medal. Although I suppose we have seen many surprise bronze medalists.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jason can get about 88 in the SP and low 170's in the LP. It's not improbable for him to make the Olympic podium if he skates his best. Nobody is really consistent and nobody besides Chan will be held up if they don't actually deliver.

Men's skating is very fluid these days in terms of competition results...aside from Chan.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Jason can get about 88 in the SP and low 170's in the LP. It's not improbable for him to make the Olympic podium if he skates his best. Nobody is really consistent and nobody besides Chan will be held up if they don't actually deliver.

Men's skating is very fluid these days in terms of competition results...aside from Chan.

Yes, that is what I think as well, and why I said I would give him a chance of a surprise medal (wouldn't expect it by any means, but could see it happening).

Some people exaggerate the quad value. Worked into your program, with everything else maximized, it usually amounts only about an extra 10 points in the long and an extra 5 in the short.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

How about Daisuke at the 2013 Worlds? How about Kostner and Mao and the Germans at 2013 Worlds? How about Plushenko's PCS at Euros 2013? Fernandez has also received favourable PCS with lacklustre performances this year. All the top skaters get high PCS even when they fail to deliver.

As for an 88 point SP, that is unlikely as Brown will likely not earn 4 points extra PCS (from 38 to 42) than what he has earned. That would be pretty much the same PCS as what Hanyu earned for his TEB short program. A low 170 point FS is barely possible for him but still questionable. If his 1A at TEB were tripled he would get 7.4 points more and if with good GOE about 8.5 points more. That gets him to 166.82. If you define low 170s as 171.5 points (between 170 and 173), that's 4.68 points higher PCS he needs - essentially 85 points which is highly unlikely. Though I suppose 170 on the nose with 83.5ish PCS is possible. But with his 3A inconsistency I'm skeptical of him being able to skate that perfectly.

noskates

Record Breaker
I want Adam to win Nationals and Jason to take silver. I find max unwatchable, and why did they mess with his eyebrows and hair. UHG! With no quad Jason is way down the list but he at least can perform well. He has two great Ward programs. I adore Adam-he is genuinely artistic-no faking. I guess we wont be seeing Evan again. He's such a great competitor, too bad.

I couldn't agree more. I do find Max unwatchable. That was a great way of saying it. I've never enjoyed his programs, don't like that style of skating. I'm sure he's a very nice young man and I don't wish him ill will but I also don't wish him to represent the US at the Olys. I think he'll be limited by his performance scores. We're of the same mind again Skateluvr.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
LOL you mean his great 6th place finish. If that is your best example of so called holding up of non Chan skaters, then it only reaffirms of others make mistakes (besides Chan), someone like Brown skating great can medal.

He skated terribly and ended up 6th. Any skater who didn't get his PCS and did his technical performances wouldn't even be sitting in the top 10. His FS had the 13th best TES score and 4th best PCS score (including 3rd best performance/execution), his SP had the 7th best TES and 2nd best PCS.

Not to mention I said other examples as recent as last year of skaters held up and medalling due to being a top skater.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As for an 88 point SP, that is unlikely as Brown will likely not earn 4 points extra PCS (from 38 to 42) than what he has earned.

He got 38.79 at TEB. With more rep and more small improvements that I expect to come, he should be able to get 41 PCS. He can get a little more +GOE out of his 3Axel and Sit Spin as well. That would total 88.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He got 38.79 at TEB. With more rep and more small improvements that I expect to come, he should be able to get 41 PCS. He can get a little more +GOE out of his 3Axel and Sit Spin as well. That would total 88.

He did get 80+ in the FS at TEB, which would translate to a 40 PCS at a future competition, perhaps.

That said, I hope we don't jinx Jason with all this declarations! :p

I'd be happy if he got on the podium at Nationals and build up from there. He hasn't finished higher than 8th in his three nationals appearances, so even a top 6 placement would be an improvement, but I do think top 3 and perhaps 4CC is quite realistic.

If he gets 2nd or even wins Nationals and gets a spot on the World/Olympic team, that is a major bonus. If he makes it to the top 10 at the Olympics that's like super ultra bonus. I do think Olympic bronze in 2014 is a huge stretch unless Jason shows up there with a quad.

We've seen what happens when a young team/skater gets to the top right away and then struggle afterward...it's brutal (Exhibits: Gachinski, Shibs, etc). So I'd rather enjoy Jason where he is now, celebrate milestones along the way and let him develop at his own pace, which seems to work for him so far.

Of course, it's possible that Jason could get to the top quickly and stay there, but that hasn't been the case for most skaters.

But that said, Jason is in a really good spot. What strikes me that he knows he is competitive for one of those spots, but yet he doesn't want it so bad that he's making a ton of silly mistakes. His team is definitely taking the cool-and-calculated approach regarding competition and I think it's paying dividends for him so far.

Of course, we'll have to see how he does in the pressure cooker that is nationals...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

This is really a matter of all the stars aligning for him. I don't see 41 points of PCS for him this season, although it's not completely out of the realm of possibility either.

In followup seasons, he can definitely score 88+ but I highly doubt he'll get it this season - he simply hasn't been on the scene long enough to garner the necessary PCS (it's remarkable that he's getting 37 and 38 points of PCS considering this). Another reason I don't think he'll get it is because he has yet to achieve the necessary consistency on his triple axel. However, at the Olympics, clean skates are rewarded with higher-than-typical PCS, so who knows.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He did get 80+ in the FS at TEB, which would translate to a 40 PCS at a future competition, perhaps.

That said, I hope we don't jinx Jason with all this declarations! :p

I hope not either! He's so talented and I don't want to overhype him with expectations.

The 80.12 PCS in the FS is particularly notable in that it would have actually been the 6th highest PCS at Worlds last year (would have even beaten Hanyu's PCS). And this is his first year on the GP!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is really a matter of all the stars aligning for him. I don't see 41 points of PCS for him this season, although it's not completely out of the realm of possibility either.

In followup seasons, he can definitely score 88+ but I highly doubt he'll get it this season - he simply hasn't been on the scene long enough to garner the necessary PCS (it's remarkable that he's getting 37 and 38 points of PCS considering this). Another reason I don't think he'll get it is because he has yet to achieve the necessary consistency on his triple axel. However, at the Olympics, clean skates are rewarded with higher-than-typical PCS, so who knows.

He's 3 for 3 in international competition for clean programs in the SP and obviously 3/3 in 3A:

Nebelhorn: +0.86 GOE
Skate America: +1.14 GOE
Trophee Eric Bompard: +1.14 GOE

It's in the FS where he's been less consistent:
Nebelhorn: 3A+3T (0.57 GOE); 3A<< (-1.50 GOE)
Skate America: 3A<< (-1.50 GOE); 3A+1T (-2.14 GOE)
Trophee Eric Bompard: 3A-2T (-0.14 GOE); 1A (0 GOE)

So in six attempts, half of them have been ratified but only 1 of them received positive GOE (though his 3A-2T got a few zeros and a few +1).

I hope not either! He's so talented and I don't want to overhype him with expectations.

The 80.12 PCS in the FS is particularly notable in that it would have actually been the 6th highest PCS at Worlds last year (would have even beaten Hanyu's PCS). And this is his first year on the GP!

That's interesting to note.