Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Rippon's stock is rising. His programs this season are among the best ever, and he is skating them beautifully--except for the quad and occasional triple axel snafus. His PCS numbers tend to hold up even with minor jump infractions. Aaron is really struggling technically with little PCS to boost the overalls score. If Abbott had an Olympic moment, a la Paul Wiley, he could medal. (Possibly, but that would be playing a really wild card!). Instead of playing "ifs, ands, & maybes", let Nationals serve its purpose: Throw politics out, and judge accurately and fairly. Send the skaters based on accurate, unbiased results, even if the team includes new, "unexpected" results.

I totally agree with you re Rippon and Abbott. Rippon I think is far and away the best bet for the team based on results so far this season. His programs are great, he is delivering a high technical content, and imagine how high his marks would be if he landed the 2nd axel and didn't make the spin mistakes. The intl judges like him.

Abbott could medal at Olympics a la Paul Wylie- absolutely.

Aaron is struggling dreadfully right now.

If we had to pick the team today, it would have to be Abbott and Rippon. But we'll know a lot more after we see Jason Brown and Josh Ferris in the next few weeks.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice

Rippon's stock is rising. His programs this season are among the best ever, and he is skating them beautifully--except for the quad and occasional triple axel snafus. His PCS numbers tend to hold up even with minor jump infractions. Aaron is really struggling technically with little PCS to boost the overalls score. If Abbott had an Olympic moment, a la Paul Wiley, he could medal. (Possibly, but that would be playing a really wild card!). Instead of playing "ifs, ands, & maybes", let Nationals serve its purpose: Throw politics out, and judge accurately and fairly. Send the skaters based on accurate, unbiased results, even if the team includes new, "unexpected" results.

I should have said "His programs this season are among the [his] best ever...."

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are so many US men I really like (and it will be a dogfight @ Nats for those 2 spots). I would like it to be Max & Ross. If Ross doesn't make it, I'd love to see Adam get the spot.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are so many US men I really like (and it will be a dogfight @ Nats for those 2 spots). I would like it to be Max & Ross. If Ross doesn't make it, I'd love to see Adam get the spot.

Max and Ross were my initial first picks too, but if Ross can't make it, Joshua.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
At this point, I think Max & Adam are the best bet. But I am so looking forward to our nationals. They'll be exciting no matter who makes the Olympic team & everyone should be much improved by then.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It really hurts to see Max struggle now... and I think it's become more obvious that while Max's scoring potential is much higher than Abbott, should Max bomb (as he has so far) his PCS takes a huge hit... when Jeremy bombs his PCS will still be enough for him to outscore Max.

Right now, Rippon should certainly be the frontrunner. Max's inability to land his quads and Jeremy regaining his quad (albeit not very consistently), has made Abbott the favourite for the 2nd spot, IMO. Farris has the potential but isn't entirely delivering. Brown is an amazing skater, but his lack of a quad essentially puts him in the same boat as Abbott.

Does the US federation have any goals for their men in Sochi? Obviously they can't expect individual medals, but perhaps there's some strategy for the team event?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm kinda underwhelmed with the US men this season. Max is understandably struggling... and Jeremy and Adam are unproven at best and their programs leave a lot to be desired (Free Programs anyway) due to the fact that the music is so soft. I know I'm falling for stereotypes but the music is so uninspired. It isn't powerful or "heroic" (can't think of the word I really want to use). The women have more powerful music than they do. It's just... blah... There's no excitement, which is what I like to see in Men's skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... should Max bomb (as he has so far) his PCS takes a huge hit... when Jeremy bombs his PCS will still be enough for him to outscore Max.

I don't like the usage of "bomb(s)," and I would be the first to say that comparing scores btwn different events is not necessarily significant.
That said, it is true that in the NHK SP, Abbott outscored and outplaced Max. And that Abbott's NHK SP outscored Max's Skate America SP.
But IMHO, those results do not tell the whole story.

The comparison of Max at NHK (7th place) vs. Abbott at Skate Canada International (6th place):

Max had higher scores (SP, FS, and overall), although Abbott had higher placements.​

Max (NHK): SP 76.21 (8th) + FS 147.14 (7th) = 223.35

Abbott (SCI): SP 74.58 (4th) + FS 141.37 (6th) = 215.95​

And the comparison of their GP bronze medal results:

Max (Skate America): SP 75.91 (6th) + FS 162.45 (2nd) = 238.36

Abbott (NHK): SP 78.78 (7th) + FS 158.63 (3rd) = 237.41​

Max has his work cut out for him at Nats, but I still have high hopes for him.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Right now it seems all the men are bunched together, with no one so far really stepping up. My dream team would be Jason and Josh for them to get the experience. (As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, potentially the battle to make the Olympic team in 2018 will be just as crowded as this season.)

Sara

On the Ice
I've read all the comments in this thread and must say that I'm pretty surprised how so many of you mentioned Max as their favourite for the Olympic team. Compared to many of the top skaters in the US, I find his skating pretty awful to watch. IMO, there's only his jumps that are amazing (if he even nails them...). Based on the few interviews I've read, Max seems like a really sweet guy and I have nothing against him, but his skating -> :no:

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
I really would love to see Ross Miner make the team but if he doesn't pull it together for trophee Eric bompard this week I fear his chances are over to make the team. If he doesn't start skating clean again (this week), even if he places first or second at nationals, I doubt they will send him. It sounds like the usfsa is looking at the entire season, not just nationals, when making their picks. I think Max is already "in", even though personally I think his skating skills (the in between stuff) are really lacking...sorry, but so true!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I really would love to see Ross Miner make the team but if he doesn't pull it together for trophee Eric bompard this week I fear his chances are over to make the team. If he doesn't start skating clean again (this week), even if he places first or second at nationals, I doubt they will send him. It sounds like the usfsa is looking at the entire season, not just nationals, when making their picks. I think Max is already "in", even though personally I think his skating skills (the in between stuff) are really lacking...sorry, but so true!

Where did you get the sense that the USFSA was considering the entire season's results? and/or that Max was already in? He certainly shouldn't be based on his results so far!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Where did you get the sense that the USFSA was considering the entire season's results? and/or that Max was already in? He certainly shouldn't be based on his results so far!

He, like everyone else, MUST be in the top 2 at Nationals to go. None of our men have had a strong enough season to deserve special treatment.