The screaming girl at Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The screaming girl at Skate America

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
IMO it was as annoying as the OTT clapping to music done at competitions held in Japan. Cheering is supportive of athletes; screaming/screeching seems to be more about the audience member focusing attention on herself. I'm not hoity and I'm not toity and that's my opinion.

agree! i hate it when they clap along the music, we cant hear the music and the skaters need to her the music too!!

gkelly

Record Breaker
agree! i hate it when they clap along the music, we cant hear the music and the skaters need to her the music too!!

Depends whether they're clapping on the beat or not.

Perhaps there need to be clapping auditions to become an audience member.

I can't take my wife anywhere. Whenever we go to a local football or basketball game, she yells and carries on so bad the people around us tell her to shut up -- or at least to move to the home team side. ;)

I once went to a cheesfest here and a bunch of kids sitting in our section had brought a stack of large blank placards. When the name of the next skater was announced they would hurry up and write the skater's name on a card, then hold it up and start in with the whistles and noisemakers that they had brought.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

IIRC, Virtue/Moir were the last to skate the Tango Romantica CD in 2010 at Vancouver.
As they took their turn skating to the same music that already had been heard umpteen times, the crowd started clapping along. Tracy Wilson commented that it was the first time she ever had witnessed an audience for a CD getting so excited that it clapped along to the music.

Afterward, an interviewer asked V/M what they were thinking out on the ice when they heard the audience clapping.
I believe that the interviewer (as well as dumb ol' me) was expecting them to say something completely gushy like, "Nothing could help us more to skate well ... it was the best feeling in the world ....", etc.
Instead, Moir first said -- very politely :) :bow: and candidly -- something like, "We were nervous. It was so loud that we could not hear our music. I was yelling at Tessa to LISTEN TO THE MUSIC." Virtue/Moir then were quick to add (I'm paraphrasing) that they were extremely fortunate to have such an appreciative crowd, whose support inspired and energized them, etc., etc.

I didn't mind her so much, although she bothered my chauffeur.

He ran off to nurse a headache at the exact moment I needed him to run to the snack bar and get me some caviar.

So difficult to get good help nowadays. Don't you all agree?

:rofl: Tonto, you are so sneaky. ;) I almost missed the joke. You are a worthy rival for Mathman in the wisecracking department. :laugh:

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I looked for this video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdDddEkUxqc they are really annoying not the girl on SA.

Totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but man, she was one lucky girl. I wanna skate with Yags and Plush too!

Also, please don't judge young excited girls for screaming like that. The first (and only) time I saw Yagudin live, at 18, I was even worse. To this day I cannot watch my own videos of him, because the screaming is unbearable :p
I also screamed like that at Brian Joubert during the 2007 Euros. You know, teenage girls, hot guys (who also happen to be great skaters) hormones... :p

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Totally unrelated to anything in this thread, but man, she was one lucky girl. I wanna skate with Yags and Plush too!

Also, please don't judge young excited girls for screaming like that. The first (and only) time I saw Yagudin live, at 18, I was even worse. To this day I cannot watch my own videos of him, because the screaming is unbearable :p
I also screamed like that at Brian Joubert during the 2007 Euros. You know, teenage girls, hot guys (who also happen to be great skaters) hormones... :p

:laugh:

noskates

Record Breaker
All of this is nice, but if that girl/woman sits behind me at Nationals this year I may have to go all BIT-H on her. I can't imagine sitting anywhere near someone who did that for an entire competition. Scream when the skater comes out, scream when they finish, but be respectful of those around you. I would think that constant noise would be a distraction rather than support.

swurvestar

Rinkside
Just wondering if any of you are former skaters?

When I was skating w/ my team, it was great to hear the cheers, but it all kind of blended in and at times when it got so loud that you couldn't hear your music, it got really annoying and distracting. It could get loud at synchro events. However, at the final bow, no amount of cheering could have been too much!

Save it to the end, trust me, it would be much appreciated.

Since we could even hear this women on all the videos and on tv, it was really distracting, over the top, and completely unnecessary. It was really distracting because it didn't blend in with the other cheers. I'd go as far as saying that it goes right up there with flash photography and it's a hazard. I'm willing to bet that at least 1 of the skaters noticed and it could have made them loose focus, especially the screeching during spins when you're trying to count your rotations.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Eeeekkk! So glad I am NOT the individual who is the subject of this thread! I do hope that if she shows up at Nationals, someone politely and firmly tells her to dial it back. Or an usher, perhaps? At Canadian Nationals this year, I had a really obnoxious person sitting next to me. Luckily she wasn't a noisemaker, just a space-taking, interruptive know-it-all.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Just wondering if any of you are former skaters?

Since we could even hear this women on all the videos and on tv, it was really distracting, over the top, and completely unnecessary. It was really distracting because it didn't blend in with the other cheers. I'd go as far as saying that it goes right up there with flash photography and it's a hazard. I'm willing to bet that at least 1 of the skaters noticed and it could have made them loose focus, especially the screeching during spins when you're trying to count your rotations.

I am a current (adult) skater and I agree, although, if you are in the zone, you are in the zone and you know exactly where you are in the music even if everyone is screaming! :biggrin:

WRT the screaming woman in the stands, some of my friends were at SA and said the crowd was mic'd. She must have been right by the mic. :(

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Didn't know this forum had so many hoity toity fancy pants opera-glass wearing snobs. Perhaps at next years Skate America we should screen spectators, so only people who support skaters in the right way be part of very small, and I assume, elite audience. Got to keep out the riff raff.

LOL. Sadly, there is some truth to this. I'm the most enthusiastic fan of people I actually know but some of my friends would also consider themselves fans even if only casual and have come to competitions with me. The amount of snobby looks we've gotten from people once they found out we weren't in the sport or didn't personally know one of the skaters was too many to count. And even just overhearing all the snarky, snide remarks about the skaters not being perfect or hearing other spectators making fun of the rest of the audience for cheering on such a bad skate can be intimidating. Geez, no wonder FS is not more popular.

Saying that, I have also met many wonderful people at competitions too.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
LOL aside everything else, that girl's behaviour did get her her own personal thread on this forum. She's a celebrity now! ;)
I wonder if she's somewhere around, reading all this and cracking up.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
The OTT screaming was annoying, especially during the programs with gentler, more introspective music. Imagine trying to appreciate Kwan's Lyra Angelica or Klimova & Ponomarenko's Bach free dance with all that yelping in the background.

lcd

Match Penalty
I am a current (adult) skater and I agree, although, if you are in the zone, you are in the zone and you know exactly where you are in the music even if everyone is screaming! :biggrin:

WRT the screaming woman in the stands, some of my friends were at SA and said the crowd was mic'd. She must have been right by the mic. :(

Had heard the same thing. She was seated in the area behind the announcers apparently, and so her screaming was amplified

ryanbfan

On the Ice
She was obnoxious. I was at SA and I know which woman it was, I managed to spot her in the audience because I was seriously contemplating going over there and telling her to stop. A lot of people in my section were annoyed. I had a migraine after listening to her all day Saturday. I don't mind cheering at all, I even do it myself, but there's a line where it becomes excessive and annoying.

As someone who danced I like it when people cheer for me but she was seriously distracting and at times it came off like she was mocking skaters who weren't performing so well. I won't name any names, but I've spoken with some skaters about cheering/whooping/etc during their performances and a lot of them are in agreement that here and there it's appreciated and welcome but when it's excessive (like this woman) it can be distracting as well as annoying.