New experimental competition format | Golden Skate

New experimental competition format

vexlak

Rinkside
I just noticed new "experimental" competition format organized by the Slovak New Years Cup organizers.
Although experimental, perhaps it may catch on and spark more interest in this beautiful sport. It was said to see half empty lower seating sections in Grand Prix events (both USA and Canada). If I understand it correctly, the final even will be elimination style competition and one would be able to see all the best skaters in all categories.
They must have got blessings from the ISU, so it may be a way we will see competition in the future.

Here is their web site:

http://www.newyearscup.sk/

GF2445

Record Breaker
I do like the idea. The sport needs to modernise and change and this seems like a good idea.

Of course there are things i dont like, e.g. International competitions are there so skaters who do not have the tech minimums to make it championship events and compete both programs at these events. If all events followed that new format yes its good for the audience but it will be a serious disadvantage for the skaters, especially if a higher ranked skater decided to compete.

If they want to run with this idea, i suggest that the ISU needs to take senior international b's more seriously and make some changes. I suggest that they (for senior events only), like what they do in sports like tennis and sort these international events into different 3 tiers (First Tier, Second Tier and Third Tier). Each tier represents a particular standard which can distinguished by a minimum SP/SD score and a minimum FS/FD score.

For example, International B competitions that are larger, televised, or usually attract high level skaters could fit under the first tier. This tier should be open to skaters of the host nation as well as skaters of an above average or better standard. Higher level senior internstional b's will be a great way to use this new format.

Middle sized competitions which attract alot of below average to above average skaters could fit into the second tier. Again, this teir should be open to skaters of the host nation as well as skaters of that particular standard or higher. This competiton should use the current competition format.

Smaller competitions could fit the third tier. This tier should be should be open to all skaters and sould follow the current competition format.

With a tier system, they can help redistribute and make the amount of entries among the competitions more even. Each tier can have have separate money prize amounts and ranking point amounts etc.

Anyway, this idea seems good

vexlak

Rinkside
I do like the idea. The sport needs to modernise and change and this seems like a good idea.

Of course there are things i dont like, e.g. International competitions are there so skaters who do not have the tech minimums to make it championship events and compete both programs at these events. If all events followed that new format yes its good for the audience but it will be a serious disadvantage for the skaters, especially if a higher ranked skater decided to compete.

If they want to run with this idea, i suggest that the ISU needs to take senior international b's more seriously and make some changes. I suggest that they (for senior events only), like what they do in sports like tennis and sort these international events into different 3 tiers (First Tier, Second Tier and Third Tier). Each tier represents a particular standard which can distinguished by a minimum SP/SD score and a minimum FS/FD score.

For example, International B competitions that are larger, televised, or usually attract high level skaters could fit under the first tier. This tier should be open to skaters of the host nation as well as skaters of an above average or better standard. Higher level senior internstional b's will be a great way to use this new format.

Middle sized competitions which attract alot of below average to above average skaters could fit into the second tier. Again, this teir should be open to skaters of the host nation as well as skaters of that particular standard or higher. This competiton should use the current competition format.

Smaller competitions could fit the third tier. This tier should be should be open to all skaters and sould follow the current competition format.

With a tier system, they can help redistribute and make the amount of entries among the competitions more even. Each tier can have have separate money prize amounts and ranking point amounts etc.

Anyway, this idea seems good

Agree. Why not do something similar what tennis has. With more telecasts there will be hopefully more sponsors and maybe even more prize $$. In FS we have ranking yet it is used only for draw at the championships and perhaps Grand Prix selection. More points earned on any competition would get a competitor higher in the ranking. That means more competition participation in the lower tier levels hence more interest in the higher tiers.

hohoho

On the Ice
I agree there has to be a change. with the seeding that is currently done at competitions, the general public do not arrive until the final two groups. And the scheduling of the competitions are a problem. Skate Canada was competiotn was on Friday and Saturday. Friday does not work for most people as they are working. There is a noticeable difference between firday and Saturday attendence.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
If it is to be held at the beginning of Jan. I imagine it will exclude skaters eligible to compete in U.S. or Canadian Nationals or any other country who hold their Nationals after Jan. 1st?

ISU should focus on promoting the sport properly first before meddling with competition formats. At this stage, they can't even build a proper website so they might want to sort out their communications first.

This format is very unfair to the skaters for a plethora of reasons. I feel very sad and angry that ISU is willing to compromise the integrity of the sport and shaft the skaters for a potential increase in media interest that might or might not happen. It's not like this competition format is suddenly going to get everybody interested in figure skating.

If it is to be held at the beginning of Jan. I imagine it will exclude skaters eligible to compete in U.S. or Canadian Nationals or any other country who hold their Nationals after Jan. 1st?

Any skater can submit their entry to this event, as long as they get the approval of their federation.

vexlak

Rinkside

Looking at the last years competiton results, they had the usual amount skaters for a senior B competition (9 Senior men and 21 ladies). There were no US or Canada representation. The US nationals are typically at the same time as the EC.

http://www.slovakskating.org/nyc/2013/

louisa05

Final Flight
I do not like this as it is planned here.

Essentially, using this format at Worlds or the Olympics could knock out skaters at the top of the rankings before the free skate. One of the better aspects of IJS is that skaters can come back from a lower scoring short program because points are cumulative. You could have a scoring situation in the middle of those semi-final duels where skaters in the SP get to the FS over others who outscored them but didn't beat the skater they were matched against. No one is going to like that.

gkelly

Record Breaker
My question is which events is this proposed for?

Senior B only?

All events with more than 12 entries, including ISU championships and Olympics?

This is probably a test before seeing it if 'works.'

As louisa05 said, this format is very unfair to the skaters because you can have a skater X in Duel A lose whilst outscoring most of other skaters in other Duels during the semi finals.

You also get a situation where skaters who are seeded skate one program less than their competitors putting them at an advantage (also, the fact you have higher world ranking doesn't mean that you are in good form at the moment).

Finally, international competitions are a great opportunity for skaters to skate their programs in front of the judges, get feedback on them and possibly earn some ranking points. Under this format only 12 skaters would actually show both of their programs. The rest would just skate FS so it wouldn't really be worth a trip.

The good part of having both SP and FS count is that it rewards consistency instead of just one strong performance. ISU could always make it that FS is weighed a bit more heavily but it's only right to have both count.