Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I highly doubt that anyone considers Mao one of the greats based solely ... It has more to do with her longevity/medals/style/impact on the sport in Japan and elsewhere than with one single jump. ...

I agree, I really admire Mao for all the other virtue you mentioned here. But 3A is the deal. just imagine a Mao without a 3A, with all the other stuff she does, what will her status be. or imagine a Mao with perfect 3A (not 2-footed), what will her status be now.

Regarding young skaters, it is just a stats.

chloepoco

Medalist
I am glad most young skaters now list Yuna as their idol, so we could expect to see more skaters with better technique and dance with the music perfectly in the future just like their idol Yuna does. This is really a better direction for figure skating than just learn cheated technique when still young, try to land that triple a.s.a.p regardless one's own pace/capability.

Regarding young skaters, it is just a stats.

Someone took statistics on who most young skaters lists as their idol?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Someone took statistics on who most young skaters lists as their idol?

There is no such stats, But it is apparent what I meant is that Yuna is idolized by most young skaters is a fact, and I will not argue with you about this any more, you can also claim Mao is listed as idol by most young skaters, but facts will be facts, regardless there is stats or not.
Anyway, I am really tired of all these Yuna vs Mao arguing now.
Truth and time will tell, Who will remain as the greatest lady skater of all time, just let us wait and see.

chloepoco

Medalist
There is no such stats, But it is apparent what I meant is that Yuna is idolized by most young skaters is a fact, and I will not argue with you about this any more, you can also claim Mao is listed as idol by most young skaters, but facts will be facts, regardless there is stats or not.
Truth and time will tell, Who will remain as the greatest lady skater of all time, just let us wait and see.

I'm not arguing anything; and I have never claimed Mao is listed an an idol by most young skaters. I don't think she is; perhaps by many young skaters, but I would never say by MOST young skaters. I like both Mao and Yuna, but you're the one making all these statements, claiming them to be facts--I'm just asking you what you have to base these facts on.

minze

Medalist

My dear if you are so tired why did you bring your comments to this thread and made it about Mao vs Yuna. You were the one arguing that youngsters like Yuna more and a lot of skaters can do a triple axel. You even when as far as bring another skater to the topic. So don't act like you are above the conversation

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm confused, why can't both Mao and Yuna be legends/among the greats? I'm certainly okay with my pick (Browning) sharing the status with both of them plus a few more.

GreatS would suggest that there are multiple great skaters - which there are, and Mao and Yuna both certainly fit the bill.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
--I'm just asking you what you have to base these facts on.

My base is my observation of many young skaters mentioned they love Yuna and with concrete reasons why they love Yuna, from different nationalities. But as I said, i dont have stats here.
There is a document on Yuna's forum that documented what young skaters saids what about Yuna, and why they love Yuna etc. If you bother to check, you will be amazed how diverse these young skaters (nationality wise) are. well then, you can argue it is a Yuna's forum. So I do not really wanna argue about this any more.

this thread ask who will be the greatest, I give my opinion, my facts and reasoning, as I said, time and truth will tell.

miki88

Medalist
As some point we need to ignore comments that don't make any sense:slink:

Haha I try but some of these comments are just too amusing. Apparently facts don't need stats to back them up as long as one believes it is a fact! Well in that case, Michelle Kwan will forever remain as the greatest skater of all time because to me, that is a fact. Does that make sense? ;)

yuki

Final Flight

Literally no one in this thread has suggested that Mao is the greatest lady skater ever or even that she will be remembered over Yuna, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove here. The whole Yuna vs. Mao discussion has started because some posters here seem to be allergic to even the slightest hint of praise towards Mao and try to dismiss her accomplishments in the sport based on imaginary scenarios/what other skaters did or didn't do.

ETA: The thread isn't about who is the greatest, but about who of the skaters currently competing will be remembered among the greats - you seem to have misunderstood the premise. No one here was arguing that Mao is better than Yuna, but rather that it is likely that both will be remembered as great skaters 20 years from now (Yuna more so than Mao).

yyyskate

Record Breaker
My dear if you are so tired why did you bring your comments to this thread and made it about Mao vs Yuna. You were the one arguing that youngsters like Yuna more and a lot of skaters can do a triple axel. You even when as far as bring another skater to the topic. So don't act like you are above the conversation

My dear, I give my opinion, my fact, my supports, mentioning other skater is unavoidable in any discussion and I am NOT the first one who mentioned other skater here (as long as I didnot bash any one rootlessly and have given my reasons, which might not be agreed by you that is totally fine with me) but I never attack any member or make it personal like you does here.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Literally no one in this thread has suggested that Mao is the greatest lady skater ever or even that she will be remembered over Yuna, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove here. The whole Yuna vs. Mao discussion has started because some posters here seem to be allergic to even the slightest hint of praise towards Mao and try to dismiss her accomplishments in the sport based on imaginary scenarios/what other skaters did or didn't do.

ETA: The thread isn't about who is the greatest, but about who of the skaters currently competing will be remembered among the greats - you seem to have misunderstood the premise. No one here was arguing that Mao is better than Yuna, but rather that it is likely that both will be remembered as great skaters 20 years from now (Yuna more so than Mao).

Exactly. It seems listing Asada along Kim irritated some people and the whole thread crapped out into another one of those threads. I'm constantly baffled- I mean, why CAN'T she be great? Like I have said previously, some of these comments run too farfetched or just plain vapid. Whatever. I stand by my point, Asada and Kim are TWO of the GREATS (if not THE two greats) to have come out of this field in the last 5+ years. I'm done.

minze

Medalist

As if admitting to Mao's greatness will take away from Kim Yuna's legacy.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, no ice dancers or pairs skaters from this era will be remember for long. Torvill and Dean are the only ice dancers that anyone has ever heard of.

As well as non skating fans.

Even though someone said we couldn't say this...I'm going to say it....Alexei will be remembered!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm confused, why can't both Mao and Yuna be legends/among the greats? I'm certainly okay with my pick (Browning) sharing the status with both of them plus a few more.

GreatS would suggest that there are multiple great skaters - which there are, and Mao and Yuna both certainly fit the bill.

I'm not sure, but based on the multitude of threads the somehow become all about these two... I think it must be something like that movie "Highlander."

"There can be only one."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not sure, but based on the multitude of threads the somehow become all about these two... I think it must be something like that movie "Highlander."

"There can be only one."

then maybe it should just be none? because it's really a downer to have a thread turn sour just because fans have nothing better to do than tear each other down.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nobody attacks different opinions. I am sure everyone on this forum knows how you think of YuNa. I think it is enough. Is it really necessary to visit every YuNa thread and keep repeating your subjective view as if it were an objective opinion?

Cosmos, you are the uber uber. And may I point out THIS IS NOT AN YUNA THREAD. AND TELLING OTHER POSTERS WHOSE OPINION YOU DO NOT LIKE , LIKE A SCHOOL MARM, ENOUGH! You have no right and it is rude, I single no one out. My opinions are a valid as yours, and perhaps moreso as I do not just pop up in "YuNa" threads. I may ask, will you even watch or bother to post when Yuna retires? Likely not. You seem interested in one skater and it is more like a bot than a general FS fan. I like YuNa for her strengths. The dfference is I don't go gaga for Gold or Wags or any American skater. I am not just for my own group.

I am sorry many have said she does not move them and we understand why that is. With time maturity etc, we may see some moving skates. I hate to use Mao as she is not beloved in Korea, but watch her "Jupiter" exhibition. Mao has known defeat and loss. It chages the heart strings. You simply cannot tolerate any criticism of YuNa. I do not go to a fan fest thread and tell flaws as I see them. That would be wrong, but we are discussing subjective stuff, and in a respectful way.

Again, please remember this is not a fan fest thread, and it is not ALL ABOUT YUNA. I look forward to your equally ardent theads re some other skater. This is tedious. If YuNa were a skater from another era, we might see her work on her line, flexibility, turnout. One point I made was that things I love about ladies singles are no longer valued in this system, so why should she worry about it I guess? It is a shame, I think.

These things make an "artistic" impression." I invite you to watch the pro skates of Paul Wylie. That is my idea of perfection. You can have yours but don't tell other posters where when and what they can post. Bad form and not allowed in the guideline, forthat matter.

I have a balanced, accurate view of YuNa, a skater I admire in many ways. I admit she deserves the moniker "great skater" based on longevity, special talents and competitive record. Now what more do you want?

As for Mao, she is a butterfly, but her problems may eclipse her inclusion into the discussion 20 years from now. Katarina Witt was a great skater and competitor and unbeatable in her day. Was she the best skater around? I don't think so, but based on the three criteria most use, she deserves "great" as well. For the 3rd time, I suggest we not include a skater in our subjective list of greats until the career is done.

I suspect if YuNa falls off her podium to third, she may be dropped. Another skater I used to cringe at, has to be called "great" based on longevity, jumping ability (esp impt for men). and 3 medals in 3 successive Olympics. Now many fans don't care for his choreo, his outfits an sometimes his swagger, but based on what he has achieved, a gold and two silver O medals, that alone is amazing. So while I much preferred his nemesis in skating, (Yagudin)- Evgeni has already earned "great" for me, even if he comes in 6th at Sochi.

If skating is more sport, then one can look at speed, jumps, consistency. But there are skaters who connect well and the PERFORMANCE is remembered for years. There are few skaters that can do this consistently. Michele kwan is great to most fans (American anyway) not just fo 7 triple program year in and year out. Some of her skates were very moving. In 6.0 Lyra matches up for millions to any 6.0 single LP ever skated.

G& G moved people with their love and beauty, esp in their SOI skates. These are the programs people remember. Music choice is key. Pink Panther doesn't make you weep but Schindler's list does. YuNa is not a very emotive skater. When she fnally shedtears of relief in Vancouver, commet wa "she's human after all." I imagine her skate 'Homage to Korea' left millions weeping. Their starlet/thei anthem.

Why does it bother you that her flaws are noticed? You see hr as flawlss, I guess. But let others have their opinion. There are many other great skaters who have finished their careers SO let us perhaps maybe include some of them.

Besides Torvill/Dean, I wonder who else is considered great? I concede Grisuk/Platov meet ALL criteria yet I never liked them half as well as Usova /Zhulin. It is all subjective. imagine trying to judge this "sport." Now there is a messy business!!!;)

malo42

On the Ice
I wonder if 20 years from now threads will still turn in to Mao vs. YuNa threads? If so then we'll know for sure that they're both legends.

I wanted to say something about the youtube views so I'll just go with this one...
- Most people in non English speaking worlds like China, Korea and probably Japan don't use youtube, they have localised version of these vids services. What does the viewing stats tell?
Without a doubt Koreans definitely use youtube. :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if 20 years from now threads will still turn in to Mao vs. YuNa threads? If so then we'll know for sure that they're both legends.

does that mean every ladies skater who ever bested Kwan is a legend? :laugh: because those wars never go away either.