Men SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men SP - Cup of China 2013

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Han YAN (CHN) - 90.14 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 81.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 81.62 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy , 4th Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 77.05 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 76.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 72.58 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 69.34 Short Program
8. Nan SONG (CHN) - 68.68 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Yi WANG (CHN) - 63.27 Short Program

Moment

Final Flight
The highest GOE for a jumping pass is for Patrick Chan's second quad at Words 2013 free skate. It received 2.86

lakeside

On the Ice
ETA: FWIW, here's a tweet from Johnny Weir:

JohnnyGWeir 5:21am via Twitter for iPhone
Rooting for all the skaters this week at Cup of China! My pre-event picks for rising stars are Han Yan and Li Zijun of China

We all know that Johnny loves Yuzuru, so it's perfectly okay to appreciate both skaters. :)
Johnny can root for any skater in the world, and that's not a problem at all. But Johnny is not going to say ridiculous things like Yan's skating skills are better than Kozuka, or even more ridiculous, better than Patrick. Johnny has more sense than that.

In fact, I thank Johnny for speaking truth while commenting last week at Skate Canada. I know Patrick is not his favorite skater, but he said Patrick's skating skills are the best, even better than Yuzru and Takahashi. I know Johnny really likes Yuzru and Takahashi, so I admire him for speaking truth.

age20

Rinkside
wow! I am so impressed Mrs.P!

This only goes back to last season. I'll go back further when I have more time. (Though for an apples to apples comparision, I can only go back to the season when the new GOE scale of values was implemented. I think that was the 2010-2011 season?)

So as far as GOE on the 3A:

2.71 -Yan Han, Cup of China 2013 SP
2.71 - Yuzuru Hanyu, 4CC 2013 SP
2.43 -Yan Han, 4CC FS (3A-3T)
2.29 - Yan Han, 4CC SP
2.14- Yuzuru Hanyu, Skate America 2012 SP
Daisuke Takahashi, Cup of China 2012 SP
Tatsuki Machida, Cup of China 2012 SP
Noburnari Oda, Skate Canada 2012 FS
Nobunari Oda, Skate Canada 2013 FS
Javier Fernandez, European Championships 2013 SP

But I realize your question was whether people have receieved that high GOE period. According to my research, Fernandez and Chan have receive such GOE for their quads, but I didn't track that. I'll get back to you when I go back and research that...I need a spreadsheet.

age20

Rinkside
For me enjoying a great performance is the most important. Everybody has his favorites, just root for them and wish them luck. I understand some people prefer their home skaters but it doesnot help. It's sad to raise sb up by depreciating the others as I believe every skate did efforts and wanted to skate better. Comparing can not make him better afterall it's up to the skater himself and let the judges do the comparing work pls.

Johnny can root for any skater in the world, and that's not a problem at all. But Johnny is not going to say ridiculous things like Yan's skating skills are better than Kozuka, or even more ridiculous, better than Patrick. Johnny has more sense than that.

In fact, I thank Johnny for speaking truth while commenting last week at Skate Canada. I know Patrick is not his favorite skater, but he said Patrick's skating skills are the best, even better than Yuzru and Takahashi. I know Johnny really likes Yuzru and Takahashi, so I admire him for speaking truth.

spikydurian

Medalist
skyfly said:
if you look at the edges
Yan has even better S/S than you beloved Chan
There is no need to get paranoia each time Chan’s name is mentioned. Skaterboy is not a Chan fan. It does look like you are more ‘intimidated’ than others. Trying to project your insecurities on others? :biggrin: There should be enough love to go around so rest your insecurities, skyfly.

Much that I am amazed by Han Yan’s progress, I agree with Skaterboy that he has yet to reach the level of Daisuke, Kozuka, Abbot and Chan in PCs. But bearing in mind, he’s only 17 with great jumps and speed, and just started to pick the brains of Lori Nichol, Han Yan will definitely join the ranks of Hanyu as the elites who will slug it out with each other for medals in the next season if he continues to progress.
Skatefiguring said:
I have predicted a Yan Dynasty to follow the Chan Dynasty.
OMG, many heads will go poppers. Screams of Yanflation succeeding inflation. That would be amusing. :p

maybeee

Spectator
I think Denis Ten had the best program, and proud of him for skating while he was sick.:thumbsup:

Kovtun was WOW with two quads. If he has better skating skills and better spins,he will become Russia's new hope:agree:.

I didn't like Kozuka's program. But he has best Skating skills at this event:thumbsup:. Han Yan also has good skating skills. But Kozuka has deeper edges and better flow in general, while Han Yan sometimes has deep edges but sometimes he has flat or shallow edges. Like someone says, its almost like he scratches the surface, compared to Kozuka. Also not impressed by Yan's footwork, which has a lot of easy toe steps and 10 seconds of pause and posing where he did not skate. That's similar to Leonova's footwork. Kozuka's footwork really stands out. It's much more difficult with intricate steps and turns, and he skated it with nice flow and deep edges. Well choreographed and well executed.

I think Kozuka and Yan are both introverted:slink:. Most skaters at this event are introverted except Denis and maybe Amodio.:cool:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was indeed a nice triple axel. However, the best I've seen so far is Yuzuru Hanyu's - no preparation whatsoever, and on a counter too! I also think Jeremy Abbott has a nice triple axel too, when executed nicely.

I think Midori Ito's is the best. :)

shine

Record Breaker
I don't agree. I am impressed with this skate from Han Yan. Although the overall performance is very well executed and smooth, the power he got from each stroke is still not quite as much as some of the other top male skaters.
Disagree. Even since his junior days it was his incredible glide, power and knee bend that made him a stand out. He's definitely top 2% in the world in that regard and better than most veterans. His straight line footwork here was a great demonstration of his ease of turns, glide and knee bend. What he lacks when being compared to the masters of SS like Chan and Kozuka etc is precision and control in the stroking. I think his edges are as deep as anyone in the world, but he could be a bit wild. He needs to consistently skate with that kind of edge quality throughout the program. Right now everything still seems a bit inconsistent but with such raw talent I think he'll get there in no time.

emma

Record Breaker
^ Totally agree....but boy, does he have so lovely knees and jumps and edges even if there is room to keep working. Its exciting to imagine him, with Jason, Josh and some others not only this season, making the veterans sweat their olympic hopes, but after that as well!

maybeee

Spectator
Thank you for your welcome. :p I'll probably go to TEB and I'll try to post some short summary of the events. I have other meetings in Paris but I'll try to post here.:biggrin: