Men SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men SP - Cup of China 2013

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's a much bigger difference than that for the step sequence fall. Most of the guys are aiming for their step sequence to be Level 4 with +2 GOE, which is 5.3 points. When you fall on a step sequence, it will hurt the level most of the time as well. Kovtun got .8 points for his step sequence when including the fall deduction, which is 4.5 points off where it ideally should be.

He actually got overscored, IMO, because there were NO transitions going into his Quad Toe (solo jump), which is required. Only one judge correctly gave him -2 GOE for that element.

Yeah, I noticed that too, RE; quad jump.

Okay, if you add the 4.5 points Kovtum could have received that still puts him at 86.34, which is hardly a huge gap to Brown's score considering that Jason did zero quads.

Still, as far as jumps go, Kovtum got 35.53 to Brown's 27.14, an 8.39 point advantage. Brown scored 6.83 more in spins and steps and had a 2.5 point lead in PCS.

I do wonder if Kovtum's PCS would have been higher if he skated in the second group. Brown skated in the second group at Skate America.

Still props to Kovtum for doing two quads cleanly. He's certainly made a case for himself among the Russian men.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Han Yan. I thought last season that his jumps are absolutely amazing. And he continues with these awesome jumps this season. If you watch figure skating live I think quads are very impressive. If Han Yan's jumps look this amazing on TV, I think seeing it live is probably even more impressive. I also adore his wonderful triple axel. I wish him the best of luck this season!

I'm a bit perplexed at Denis Ten's placement. I mean, ok I get it, he is the reigning silver medallist at worlds. But to receive such a placement when you practically missed one complete element, I think it is a bit unfair to the other skaters. That said I liked his program and looks this season more than last. He seemed more mature than at Worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have predicted a Yan Dynasty to follow the Chan Dynasty. Still it's amazing to see Han at his level a already. Generally though, I find both SA and COC are generous in giving out scores.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun did well but he always must fall or pop a jump! But there is no excuse for doing a fusp for a spin. That's just ridiculous.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kovtun did well but he always must fall or pop a jump! But there is no excuse for doing a fusp for a spin. That's just ridiculous.

lost around 3 points for that fluke step seq fall
must be banging his already big head, :laugh:

bramweld

Record Breaker
You know I believe this sport is just brutal. Amodio, is working hard, but he's just been eclipsed by new talent. Morozov did the best he could for him. In fact their were times last year where he showed flashes of brilliance. I can't remember which season it was exactly when M gave him an interesting Flamenco piece and after one poor showing he said this was too difficult and he went back to doing what he wanted to do. I think the issue with Morozov though, is while creditable he is not a strict task master. He unlike Zhulin will not rough house his students into compliance. I don't think either strategy is bad, the athlete just needs to know what will work for him. Amodio, should not have complained so bitterly about Morozov, it would have avoided the embarrassment and pressure he created for himself today.

gmyers

Record Breaker
lost around 3 points for that fluke step seq fall
must be banging his already big head, :laugh:

I wonder if that fall is responsible for his horrible spin disasters. Step disaster and then huge spin problems. you would think a fusp would be an easy level 4 But even his fusp was 3. It's a fusp! It's supposed to be level 4 with all +3 goe if it's planned! Maybe the fall messed up everything!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wonder if that fall is responsible for his horrible spin disasters. Step disaster and then huge spin problems. you would think a fusp would be an easy level 4 But even his fusp was 3. It's a fusp! It's supposed to be level 4 with all +3 goe if it's planned! Maybe the fall messed up everything!

his end spin positions got slower after his step seq fall
so that could be possible

seniorita

Record Breaker
Amodio left Morosov? Someone send me un update please!
Also I love Kozuka no matter what, I can watch him skate for hours, makes me calm!

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Han YAN (CHN) - 90.14 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 81.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 81.62 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy , 4th Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 77.05 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 76.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 72.58 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 69.34 Short Program
8. Nan SONG (CHN) - 68.68 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Yi WANG (CHN) - 63.27 Short Program

Icey

Record Breaker
I thought Han's playful moves were delightful. I would never label him introverted. But even if he is, there is room for those in the skating world and that personality type goes well with certain types of music. Who is responsible for his brilliant jump technique?

Does anyone really believe judges can come up with pcs scores to two decimal places? Delusional.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Han's 3axel was the best I've ever seen bar none. Just a perfect rhythm to the jump with a perfect, flowing landing. Looked as easy as a double. For 17 he shows a lot of promise. His PCS will hopefully improve, as well as the speed and positions in his spins, but what a start for him. I like his flirty choreography, did not see too much introversion there.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Wow, there are so haters, and some hating going on in this forum

Is this comment really necessary? I haven't seen any "hating" going on, and it's so annoying when someone disagrees with your favorite they get labeled a hater. Let's try not to turn this forum into another FSU. It's so obnoxious over there.

Becki

Medalist
Han's 3axel was the best I've ever seen bar none. Just a perfect rhythm to the jump with a perfect, flowing landing. Looked as easy as a double. For 17 he shows a lot of promise. His PCS will hopefully improve, as well as the speed and positions in his spins, but what a start for him. I like his flirty choreography, did see too much introversion there.

It was indeed a nice triple axel. However, the best I've seen so far is Yuzuru Hanyu's - no preparation whatsoever, and on a counter too! I also think Jeremy Abbott has a nice triple axel too, when executed nicely.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Congratulations Han! That was so brilliant! All the jumps were crispy clean, great height and fast speed in and out. What's more important is that he stayed in character all the time. he said he still hasn't got to where Lori wants him to be performance wise, so hopefully giving it some mileage it will get even better. I'm just happy the stone face is gone. What an improvement---all he needed was a decent choreography, he earned it last year. Keep it up for the LP Han! So charming.

I feel sorry for Denis and Song. Hopefully they get their jumps in the LP. Kozuka was good, he's one of the introvert skater who tends to be understated. Wish him luck too. Boy, Kovtum can jump, and he tried to be in character all the time in the SP, just the posture was not authentic, pity for the freaking fall in the step sequence. again, good luck in the LP. Go everybody!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He got 2.71 GOE on the 3axel. Six 3s and only three 2s!! Has anyone ever got such a GOE?

This only goes back to last season. I'll go back further when I have more time. (Though for an apples to apples comparision, I can only go back to the season when the new GOE scale of values was implemented. I think that was the 2010-2011 season?)

So as far as GOE on the 3A:

2.71 -Yan Han, Cup of China 2013 SP
2.71 - Yuzuru Hanyu, 4CC 2013 SP
2.43 -Yan Han, 4CC FS (3A-3T)
2.29 - Yan Han, 4CC SP
2.14- Yuzuru Hanyu, Skate America 2012 SP
Daisuke Takahashi, Cup of China 2012 SP
Tatsuki Machida, Cup of China 2012 SP
Noburnari Oda, Skate Canada 2012 FS
Nobunari Oda, Skate Canada 2013 FS
Javier Fernandez, European Championships 2013 SP

But I realize your question was whether people have receieved that high GOE period. According to my research, Fernandez and Chan have receive such GOE for their quads, but I didn't track that. I'll get back to you when I go back and research that...I need a spreadsheet.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I saw somebody's signature with seemingly Han's 3A-3T combo, it covers almost half the arena:), that's when I noticed him.